Tarik Black interest

The thing that's so impressive about UK's class is how far behind the second rated class (Memphis) is: one 5*, four 4* (per Rivals, 1-3* per ESPN).

And ironically, the Tigers aren't done. Which leads us back to Tarik Black. Pastner is sending Tarik Black on his way with a smile and a handshake because he's basically trading up in the draft (a/k/a opening up a scholarship) for a big time big man out of high school:

I see your response about not following recruiting, but for as much criticism Black got, it will hurt Memphis. They will have to rely on two true freshmen who are probably not physically ready to play full time. There aren't many recruiting options at this point.

Well, considering it's probably the best class in history, I think everyone in college basketball has the same problem. But we don't have to compete with UK. We can lose 3 games (2 in regular season and 1 in SECT) and still have a great season. Lets not judge it by that. We will have probably have top 3 talent in the league.

I have finally learned these class rankings don't mean as much as we think they do. Oh don't get me wrong I would love to have a top ranked class but we act like its a death sentence for us. JUST NOT THE CASE!!!!

The thing about his AAU coach is that he is in the know. He is very close to Tarik and Joe Jackson. Gary Parrish said he has quoted the coach multiple times over the years, and the coach has never been wrong.

If Stokes is leaving Black or Davis should be the first two Martin calls.

Couple of Questions:

1. Can we sign Black and Mathieu?

2. Shouldn't we be looking at Black as more of a potential replacement for Maymon? Who knows how Jeronne will recover after all this time, and we could use some frontcourt help.

TrésDay;8525618 said:
Couple of Questions:

2. Shouldn't we be looking at Black as more of a potential replacement for Maymon? Who knows how Jeronne will recover after all this time, and we could use some frontcourt help.

1. As of now, we are already 1 over. So to sign both Black and Mathieu 3 scholarships would have to open up, seems very unlikely.

2. Black could very well be viewed as an insurance policy for if Stokes leaves, but also if Maymon isn't 100%. The issue with Maymon though is we likely won't know if Maymons going to be 100% until probably September, and Black will be long gone by then.

I know quality bigs are hard to come by, but this guy can either work for you or against you. Where ever he ends up I hope he has matured. When a guys walks out of practice you have to raise your eyebrow a bit.

Black was always confusing to Memphis fans. He's extremely intelligent, and a really great kid. But he didn't start playing ball seriously until he was maybe 15, so basketball doesn't really define him. He's got all the physical tools to be a beast, but either doesn't know how to use them or just doesn't have that drive and killer instinct. He's got great post moves, so if he gets the ball in the low post its almost a gauranteed 2 points. He can't face up and isn't a great ball handler or passer, so he's not much use anywhere but the low post. Good defender, but fouls way too much. It's usually a surprise if he's able to play 25 minutes without fouling out. Terrible rebounder for his size, and terrible free throw shooter at just under 50%. All that being said, I wish we still had him, and I wish him the best. He can give a team a solid 20 minutes, getting 10 and 5. If he is was able to refocus and reach his potential he could be a 15 and 7 kind of guy. Obviously hope ya'll don't get him.

The thing about his AAU coach is that he is in the know. He is very close to Tarik and Joe Jackson. Gary Parrish said he has quoted the coach multiple times over the years, and the coach has never been wrong.

All of this is nonsense.

Last season, Cowboy reported that Jackson was transferring to Georgetown.

He don' know na'.

Video, recording, and link or it isnt confirmed. just kiddin

Had to get that in before somebody else.

"Mphsfan", a poster with ties for to the Memphis basketball team, came out and said that Black won't transfer to UT. The guy doesn't say a whole lot, but when he does it's gospel.

I think Tarik looks at Miami, FSU, Duke, Marquette, if he leaves at all.

"Mphsfan", a poster with ties for to the Memphis basketball team, came out and said that Black won't transfer to UT. The guy doesn't say a whole lot, but when he does it's gospel.

I think Tarik looks at Miami, FSU, Duke, Marquette, if he leaves at all.

Of those choices I would go to Miami or Marquette. Not a fan of the FSU coach, and from what I read on here he doesnt appear to have the work ethic to play for coach K. not judging him, just sayin.

Of those choices I would go to Miami or Marquette. Not a fan of the FSU coach, and from what I read on here he doesnt appear to have the work ethic to play for coach K. not judging him, just sayin.

He'd be coming off the bench for K. He'd have a starting job at either Miami or FSU. I think both teams are going to be rebuilding next season though.

Plus Miami's campus is pretty damn fun.

Per Jeff Goodman: "Tarik Black drawing interest from Duke, Kansas, Marquette, Miami, Tenn., FSU, UMass, 20 others- per his AAU coach Eric Robinson"

Would be weird to see him in orange and white, but good luck to the young man.

link? not being smart but would like to read article if it was in article.

thanks

found the link

Last edited:
He'd be coming off the bench for K. He'd have a starting job at either Miami or FSU. I think both teams are going to be rebuilding next season though.

Plus Miami's campus is pretty damn fun.

I don't know if he would start or not, but Duke is losing alot in the frontcourt- Kelly and Plumlee. I don't think the third Plumlee brother is as good as the other two. I would seriously consider Duke for the chance to play for K and to work toward a Duke graduate degree. The Miami environment would be nice, but I don't know how competitive they will really be.

I think Marquette is one to watch.

I think the Vols have a shot at Black. It will depend on if Stokes or McRae leave and a scholly is open. Black could come in and get playing time here.

This is a huge loss for Memphis. Black is their best inside player. He had a great freshman and sophmore year. He slacked off last year but just needs the right coaching staff to get him going and be a force. Memphis will be very thin next year without Black.

Tarik Black isn't coming to UT. This has been confirmed.

There is no confirmation of Black not coming to UT. Some message board poster that you say is legit doesn't mean squat. Of course Black will not come to TN if Stokes and Maymon are here. If Stokes leaves, then Black will look at UT's offer.

Last edited:
There is no confirmation of Black not coming to UT. Some message board poster that you say is legit doesn't mean squat. Of course Black will not come to TN if Stokes and Maymon are here. If Stokes leaves, then Black will look at UT's offer.

Black will not be at UT next season, regardless of Stokes or Maymon.

TrésDay;8525618 said:
Couple of Questions:

If we do, we're going to have a new team almost with Ndaiye choosing us too now.

A lot of current players would have to change for all this to happen.

VN Store

Back