Sweeping Sexual Assault Suit Filed Against UT

no poll

• Total voters
Umm this lawsuit is about the procedure in place. That's it.

I am concerned about the accusations of personal culpability for the procedure (read: "atmosphere") through the naming of CBJ and Dave Hart, and the article is most definitely slanted to foster that belief.

I am concerned about the accusations of personal culpability for the procedure (read: "atmosphere") through the naming of CBJ and Dave Hart, and the article is most definitely slanted to foster that belief.

Remember her endless articles on Von?
She had him and the University drug through the mud in a case that was eventually dropped.
I have no expectations of anything less here.

Reactions: 2 people

The article is slanted that way. The lawsuit itself limited to procedure. Of course all anyone will remember is the reporters slant...

I agree with this, and here's why. IF this were a criminal case about sexual assault, I feel they should be entitled to anonymity as victims of a crime. But this is a civil case. They are seeking damages against the University. In that case, imo, anonymity is voluntarily surrendered. Now, that said, any jackasses that harass them should be dealt with. That's not okay, imo.

And yet I don't think anyone with the sense God gave a goat believes that those women's lives would be worth a damn if their names are released through the paper. They arent anonymous in the courtroom. Juat in the paper as it should be.

UNLESS THEY PERJURE THEMSELVES BEYOND A SHADOW OF A DOUBT. If they do, that's different. But these young women are VOLS, some still attending school since they ask for tuition, and we shouldn't destroy their lives by identifying them publicly.

Reactions: 1 person
Remember her endless articles on Von?
She had him and the University drug through the mud in a case that was eventually dropped.
I have no expectations of anything less here.

Unfortunately its very easy to believe a prominent university/athletic program is actively keeping their criminal element out of jail.

Another reason to be gratefui to schools from Florida...

I understand the female perspective of this. Name an alleged victim and she gets harassed by idiotic fanboys with no life who make her life miserable. But what about the male perspective? When you're a man and you are accused of something like this, that's a stigma you carry for the rest of your life. It doesn't matter if you're found innocent, there will always be people who think you got away with something. There is no real recompense for a man once he's accused.

Reactions: 5 people
You can thank this fellow right here:

giphy.gif

Reactions: 6 people
And yet I don't think anyone with the sense God gave a goat believes that those women's lives would be worth a damn if their names are released through the paper. They arent anonymous in the courtroom. Juat in the paper as it should be.

UNLESS THEY PERJURE THEMSELVES BEYOND A SHADOW OF A DOUBT. If they do, that's different. But these young women are VOLS, some still attending school since they ask for tuition, and we shouldn't destroy their lives by identifying them publicly.

Yet it's okay for the accused to be named before facing judgement themselves? Not every accusation is real. What happens when the victim turns out to be the accused? His name has already been dragged through the mud.

Yet it's okay for the accused to be named before facing judgement themselves? Not every accusation is real. What happens when the victim turns out to be the accused? His name has already been dragged through the mud.

After generations of rape victims being portrayed as whores by the press and attorneys in order to get scumbags out of trouble?

You bet your sweet ass I do.

Because it's not right to expose potential victims of alleged sexualassault to the abuse of people who are more concerned about football than doing the right thing. Blaming the victim is not cool.

Also, they would face their accusers. The newspaper, however, is respecting their privacy and not printing their names. Again--the blame the victim mentality is a very real problem in cases like tjos. Remember the Treon Harris case? His attorneys came out the day after and called his accuser the "sexual aggressor" and the next day she dropped the charges. It's way too easy for some lawyer to say an assault victim was dressed provocatively and therefore somehow ASKED for it.

BS. Why is it mandatory that the "alleged" victims identities are protected but the identities of the "alleged" perps is fair game? Do their reputations and lives mean less than the "alleged" victims? Hypocrisy and total garbage. Remember the Duke lacrosse case? Remember Brian Banks? No...if these women are going to bring charges, they need to be identified just like the accused.

Reactions: 3 people
After generations of rape victims being portrayed as whores by the press and attorneys in order to get scumbags out of trouble?

You bet your sweet ass I do.

So you don't believe in equality? You believe women should have more rights then men.

I get what you're saying, I honestly do, but the world we live in now is not the world of the past. Like I said previously, if this were an actual criminal case, I would understand protection through anonymity, but I believe the accused should be protected by that same anonymity until guilt or innocence is established. Sometimes it turns out the accused IS the victim. But this isn't a criminal case. This is a civil case seeking monetary recompense based on perceived actions of the University of TN. It's not a rape trial.

No. They should not.

Yes, they should! It's BS that men always get named but women don't in these things. We've seen lots of instances of falsehoods when dealing with these issues. If you're gonna bring a suit or press charges, they should have to get out from behind the damn mask!

I believe an accuser of this sort of crime should be anonymous unless claims are found to be false. Then the accuser should be fair game and subject to a countersuit for defamation of character in cases of civil suits.

BS. Why is it mandatory that the "alleged" victims identities are protected but the identities of the "alleged" perps is fair game? Do their reputations and lives mean less than the "alleged" victims? Hypocrisy and total garbage. Remember the Duke lacrosse case? Remember Brian Banks? No...if these women are going to bring charges, they need to be identified just like the accused.

The fact that you're using air quotes around alleged simply demonstrates to me how essential it is these women remain unidentified. Anytime ANYONE claims sexual abuse, they should be treated carefully.

Why?

Because RAPE IS A CRIME. A PSYCHOLOGICAL DEVASTATOR. A SOCIAL STIGMA. And because only too many people quite obviously are only too happy to ASSUME these women are lying because it would be inconvenient for them to be telling THE TRUTH.

Thank you for proving my point so perfectly. I hope no woman in your life is ever in this situation, so she would have to endure what you are so willing to condemn women to do.

Have a nice day.

Reactions: 7 people
Pretty much... and I hate to sound like a broken record but it's very telling that this story was broken by Anita. Just a rehashing of baseless junk from the past.

Only to football guys. Sexual assault has been a serious problem on college campuses for many years--and is mostly definitely a problem with athletes--and has for many years been swept under the rug as universities and athletic departments, including some prestigious ones, use various means to keep cases quiet or subtly dissuade victims from pursuing charges. Look at the J. Winston case at FSU--the police basically failed to pursue the case.

Reactions: 3 people
As college athletics brings in more and more money, the lawyers will find more and more reasons to try and suck up some of that money.

Lawyers follow money.

Person goes to a bar, picks up a woman, goes home with her and they have consensual sex. Women accuses man of rape, presses charges or files a civil suit. Man's name is drug through the mud. He loses his job, his friends, families and community thinks he is a rapist. His life gets wrecked. Shouldn't there be recourse and compensation for him when he is found not guilty?

Reactions: 4 people
I don't see how the University Hart or Cheek would be culpable
All the University has to do is turn the reports or complaints over to KPD and let them investigate and they in turn give it to the DA

The DA then decides to file charges
Suing the University Cheek and Hart is ludicrous

Person goes to a bar, picks up a woman, goes home with her and they have consensual sex. Women accuses man of rape, presses charges or files a civil suit. Man's name is drug through the mud. He loses his job, his friends, families and community thinks he is a rapist. His life gets wrecked. Shouldn't there be recourse and compensation for him when he is found not guilty?

The press only reports when someone is charged with a crime or lawsuit. They NEVER report when someone is found innocent.

VN Store

Back