Sweeping Sexual Assault Suit Filed Against UT

no poll

• Total voters
I'm not sure but why do the girls get to remain nameless? Not defending anyone either way just curious...

Because it's not right to expose potential victims of alleged sexualassault to the abuse of people who are more concerned about football than doing the right thing. Blaming the victim is not cool.

Also, they would face their accusers. The newspaper, however, is respecting their privacy and not printing their names. Again--the blame the victim mentality is a very real problem in cases like tjos. Remember the Treon Harris case? His attorneys came out the day after and called his accuser the "sexual aggressor" and the next day she dropped the charges. It's way too easy for some lawyer to say an assault victim was dressed provocatively and therefore somehow ASKED for it.

Reactions: 2 people
I do not know why players would ever have to rape anyone... if one says no, go to the hoard of groupies following you.

Reactions: 7 people
The University is stuck between a rock and a hard place here. Anytime someone makes an accusation against a player, it has to be researched and fully vetted before action is taken. The University can't just kick someone off a team any time an accusation is made. Do you know how many people are either looking to cash in, looking to settle a score, or otherwise gain from making accusations like this? Not saying one way or the other this is what happened, but a player's rights have to be protected, too.

What if you ruin a young man's life by revoking his scholarship and potentially destroying an NFL career, over an accusation that was made that turned out to be false?

This is a copycat lawsuit of the one filed against Florida State in the Winston matter, which was settled for around $1 million, but with one plaintiff.

Reactions: 3 people
Absolutely not. Are you going to dismiss a player merely because allegations are made in a lawsuit? I would think that some amount of diligence would be done to determine the veracity of the allegations before dismissing somebody. What if the allegations are false?

Talk about a knee jerk reaction.

This is different than the AJ Johnson and Von Pearson situations, because law enforcement ended their investigation and decided about whether to take a criminal case to a grand jury.

Horse crap. What happens when a player is accused? CBJ promptly suspends him. If he's cleared he's reinstated. It's established procedure, so the "knee jerk reaction?"

Not mine.

Reactions: 5 people
The University is stuck between a rock and a hard place here. Anytime someone makes an accusation against a player, it has to be researched and fully vetted before action is taken. The University can't just kick someone off a team any time an accusation is made. Do you know how many people are either looking to cash in, looking to settle a score, or otherwise gain from making accusations like this? Not saying one way or the other this is what happened, but a player's rights have to be protected, too.

What if you ruin a young man's life by revoking his scholarship and potentially destroying an NFL career, over an accusation that was made that turned out to be false?

I do understand what you're saying but this probably took place more than just a few days ago so they(Butch,etc.) know this player involved that's being referred to as "John Doe". They know obviously more than we do so something has to be announced/done about this supposed "current' football player.

Maybe we here something from Butch about this current football player in the coming days ahead. Hopefully sooner rather than later. I just hope this "current" player isn't any big name even though it's sad no matter who the player involved is to be.

This is an awful story. We can only hope that this turns out for the better for our university not just our sports programs. This could scare lots & lots of females from attending UT in the future if proven to be true!

Team that covers up sexual abuses kicks their star linebacker off the squad due to rape allegations.

Something doesnt line up. Now if there are players doing this stuff, then absolutely turn them into the cops. And if there are staff covering it up, turn them in. But I have my doubts. Surely Tennessee - and the rest of college football - learned something from PSU.

Team that covers up sexual abuses kicks their star linebacker off the squad due to rape allegations.

Something doesnt line up. Now if there are players doing this stuff, then absolutely turn them into the cops. And if there are staff covering it up, turn them in. But I have my doubts. Surely Tennessee - and the rest of college football - learned something from PSU.

I absolutely 100% agree with this.

Reactions: 1 person
Six women filed a federal lawsuit on Tuesday claiming the University of Tennessee has created a student culture that enables sexual assaults by student-athletes, especially football players, and then uses an unusual, legalistic adjudication process that is biased against victims who step forward.

https://twitter.com/Tennessean/status/697168149502947328

https://t.co/denQlCQqdN

sadmike.0.gif

]Team that covers up sexual abuses kicks their star linebacker off the squad due to rape allegations.
[/B]

Spot on.
Also the part that will be ignored all off-season while posters demand firings and suspensions.

They saw the recent "settlement" UT handed out and it encouraged more of the same. Just looking for a quick payday.

They saw the recent "settlement" UT handed out and it encouraged more of the same. Just looking for a quick payday.

Let's hope that's all this is about. Someone trying to do what was done to Florida State & get a money handout. If it's not & the serious allegations turn out real then this is not good at all for the University of Tennessee overall period.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm confused. The article claims it is unfair that the accused get an attorney and the right to face their accusers? Is that not standard in criminal law? Is it the fact that Cheek appoints the administrative law judge that hears the case? Okay, I could buy that, but the article includes that at the end of a paragraph after basically saying it's not okay that the accused get their civil rights.

Someone is angling for a big $$$$ settlement. They know this thing is almost impossible to prove... but is a PR nightmare for the institution/company that is being sued.

Herman Cain's presidential campaign was basically ended because his previous company paid someone off rather than suffer the bad publicity of a trial.

Are you implying that nothing has happened and that the women involved just want some money? If so how do you know that?

Reactions: 4 people
I'm honestly not worried about this. This is sour grapes or people just trying to make a quick buck. The fact that none of the accused have been criminally convicted is the key here. Anyone with common sense can see that UT hasn't been covering anything up, because if they had they sure as heck wouldn't have suspended AJ and kept him away from the team.

I hope what they (the 6 women) alleging is NOT TRUE, as if it is, there is not an excuse or justification that would make it okay. In fact, if rapes and/or sexual assaults are taking place, there should be arrests, GJ true bills, and prosecutions, just like there should be for any other American citizen-playing on a football team, (even ours) in no way gives anyone the right to rape.

They should name the women filing the suit.

Let's hope that's all this is about. Someone trying to do what was done to Florida State & get a money handout. If it's not & the serious allegations turn out real then this is not good at all for the University of Tennessee overall period.

I agree it would be terrible. What is interesting to me is how quickly people are claiming that these women are lying and only wanting money. How do they know that? I don't understand why the first thing that comes through some people's minds is that these women are liars. If these accusations are true I hope all involved are punished.

Reactions: 7 people
There was a postman in Carter County that spent several years at Brushy Mountain because of the testimony of one woman. The woman eventually got religion and recanted her story. The judge promptly threw her in the slammer for perjury and wanted her to serve forty years.

If there is a crime, I hope the guilty are punished. If the accusations are baseless, I hope the accusers incur some sort of penalty....maybe a counter suit from the University.

Reactions: 11 people
I'm honestly not worried about this. This is sour grapes or people just trying to make a quick buck. The fact that none of the accused have been criminally convicted is the key here. Anyone with common sense can see that UT hasn't been covering anything up, because if they had they sure as heck wouldn't have suspended AJ and kept him away from the team.

It really would mean something to me if it was literally ANY other source breaking this than Anita. She has an agenda that's very clear. I have read enough of her material to know that she has omitted details and told half truths. She wrote her narrative here long ago.

Because it's not right to expose potential victims of alleged sexualassault to the abuse of people who are more concerned about football than doing the right thing. Blaming the victim is not cool.

Also, they would face their accusers. The newspaper, however, is respecting their privacy and not printing their names. Again--the blame the victim mentality is a very real problem in cases like tjos. Remember the Treon Harris case? His attorneys came out the day after and called his accuser the "sexual aggressor" and the next day she dropped the charges. It's way too easy for some lawyer to say an assault victim was dressed provocatively and therefore somehow ASKED for it.

in the treon harris case, was the girl the aggressor? does anyone know? it goes both ways its to easy for a girl to get a paycheck if nothing actually happened as far as sexual assault. but i dont know anything about these cases so i cant judge.

They should name the women filing the suit.

I agree with this, and here's why. IF this were a criminal case about sexual assault, I feel they should be entitled to anonymity as victims of a crime. But this is a civil case. They are seeking damages against the University. In that case, imo, anonymity is voluntarily surrendered. Now, that said, any jackasses that harass them should be dealt with. That's not okay, imo.

Reactions: 6 people

VN Store

Back