Survivor: Game Changers

It's a publicity tactic, most likely. Do or have something happen on a show that's controversial and it'll make headlines. Headlines provide free advertisement for tv shows. Production companies do it all the time.

It's not like it was scripted but they did milk it. Spent the last 15 minutes of the show on the feels.

Bunch of people crying about their feelings like they were on their Facebook accounts.

It's a publicity tactic, most likely. Do or have something happen on a show that's controversial and it'll make headlines. Headlines provide free advertisement for tv shows. Production companies do it all the time.

So you're saying the producers told Varner to bring it up?

So you're saying the producers told Varner to bring it up?

The show isn't filmed live. They could have easily cut and told them to redo the tribal. They could have said we're doing it over and nobody is going to say anything about anyone being transgender. They probably didn't tell Varner what to say but I'm sure they asked Zeke for expressed permission to air the footage.

The show isn't filmed live. They could have easily cut and told them to redo the tribal. They could have said we're doing it over and nobody is going to say anything about anyone being transgender. They probably didn't tell Varner what to say but I'm sure they asked Zeke for expressed permission to air the footage.

They may well have asked him as a personal courtesy, but I'd be willing to bet the participants have to sign something ahead of time giving CBS full rights to air anything that takes place during the filming of the show. They would probably have been legally clear to air it regardless of what he wanted. Whether they would have, or did, I don't know.

They may well have asked him as a personal courtesy, but I'd be willing to bet the participants have to sign something ahead of time giving CBS full rights to air anything that takes place during the filming of the show. They would probably have been legally clear to air it regardless of what he wanted. Whether they would have, or did, I don't know.

I'm merely proving the point that the network had a choice before airing the episode as to what they wanted to do. They chose the more dramatic and controversial scene to help ratings.

Does anyone think all the tribe hopping and "game changes" they've implemented will change what happens when the tribes merge next week? It'll be kind of interesting to see how things play out, whether people stuck to previous alliances or tribes they were a part of.

I'm merely proving the point that the network had a choice before airing the episode as to what they wanted to do. They chose the more dramatic and controversial scene to help ratings.

So you're guessing that they had 2 tribals and they decided to broadcast the angle that would capture more public interest?

Not sure that you've "proved" anything, but why on earth wouldn't they show footage that garners the most interest?

Reactions: 2 people
So you're guessing that they had 2 tribals and they decided to broadcast the angle that would capture more public interest?

Not sure that you've "proved" anything, but why on earth wouldn't they show footage that garners the most interest?

I'm not guessing that they had two tribals. I was merely suggesting that they could have done it.

Airing the episode as it was only served to harm both people involved. It outed something Zeke was obviously trying to keep quiet and it cost Jeff his job.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life...ired-after-outing-trans-contestant/100549594/

I'm all for entertainment value but I personally don't think it should trump harming two individuals socially if it doesn't HAVE to. Ultimately who is the real offender in the scenario, Jeff Varner because he said it, or CBS because they knowingly chose to air it after the fact?

Last edited:
A fire-able offense? Wow! Thin skinned over there in the real estate business, eh?

A fire-able offense? Wow! Thin skinned over there in the real estate business, eh?

I mean, anything that creates a PR problem is a fireable offense, right? Not saying it's right or just, but PR problems can be huge problems. I've had to fire people for stealing $2.50 here and there by manipulating the time clock. If you say something that is going to cost your business $100k in PR problems, then it's a no-brainer.

I mean, anything that creates a PR problem is a fireable offense, right? Not saying it's right or just, but PR problems can be huge problems. I've had to fire people for stealing $2.50 here and there by manipulating the time clock. If you say something that is going to cost your business $100k in PR problems, then it's a no-brainer.

yeah, I realize all that. people are stupid and avoid places of business for the dumbest reasons.

yeah, I realize all that. people are stupid and avoid places of business for the dumbest reasons.

Yeah, it's not always used in the wisest ways, but our power to vote with our dollars is one of our best mechanisms for positive change.

Fire-able offenses happen more often than you think over stupid stuff. People are getting fired today for having a certain opinion on social media. Companies will actually seek out social media accounts of their employees and act on anything that's on them.

These women are so dumb, they had complete control and pissed it away in a single episode.

Also that was the second dumbest thing I've ever seen someone do on Survivor.

Andrea is the only one smart enough to know Sarah is the #1 threat and Andrea went home. These people are dumb.

Yep, he takes Tai and he sweeps the votes.

The right player won, I don't like her but Sarah deserved the win. IMO

Agreed on both points. I think people say they would have voted Tai after they saw Culpepper bully him, but no way do they vote Tai if they are in the dark about that. Tai didn't play a very good game.

There were so many bad moves this week and last week.

Sarah played a near perfect game but she really screwed up when she freaked out on Tai. She brought too much attention on herself but Culpepper and Troyzan were too busy dutch-ruddering to notice she was gaming everybody.

Agreed on both points. I think people say they would have voted Tai after they saw Culpepper bully him, but no way do they vote Tai if they are in the dark about that. Tai didn't play a very good game. Its easy to say Tai at that point but I think if their games were really broken down he loses.

There were so many bad moves this week and last week.

Sarah played a near perfect game but she really screwed up when she freaked out on Tai. She brought too much attention on herself but Culpepper and Troyzan were too busy dutch-ruddering to notice she was gaming everybody.

I think Brad would have won even with seeing that, maybe Tai gets Zeke and the girl that doesn't matters vote. The jury didn't seem like a bitter jury and would have focused on Tai doing pretty much nothing but being wishy washy the whole game.

Sarah reminded of Derrick some, kind of quietly controlling the game. Minus the one slip up you mentioned, she made everyone feel like they were best friends. She was impressive.

VN Store

Back