Stoops contacted...

Because of published reports that he contacted us through back channels and expressed interest.

Nobody ever thought Surrier would leave FL...

also, over a month ago one of the VN "insiders" noted that there are some "issues" that have led to the stoops family being less than ecstatic about the situation in norman.

stoops also is reportedly tired of the criticisms that have been coming his way for going "only" 10-2 and knows that at UT he would be revered for that kind of record.

lastly, keep in mind that many mega-performers (coaches, athletes, whatever) thrive on challenges. stoops may want to go head to head in the strongest conference just to prove that he can be successful.

i'm not saying that he is our next coach by any means, just pointing out why it could be possible.

Reactions: 1 person
I think it would be wise not to get too carried away with the rumor mill at this point. I like that Hart said he would be looking for a proven head coach and not an "up and coming" coach. I believe he fully understands how critical this hire is to the welfare of the football program and the financial stability of athletics overall since football is the big "cash cow" of college athletics.

Also, it is to Harts benefit to make a solid hire and I am sure that he understands that. If he does, he will be at UT as long as he wants.

Reactions: 1 person
Just for the record, it's the wind out of the south that shapes trees out here in OK (my adopted state). It blows from March through October, is hot & dry, & kills buds on the south side of the tree. Eventually the trees "point" north.

But as to football, one problem with hiring away Mora or Stoops is that they are now coaching in areas rich in HS recruits - Stoops gets most of his talent from TX (as did Switzer before him) and Mora of course has CA.

But who knows? I just hope UT puts enough $$ on the table to hire an A-list coach. Mike Hamilton hired Dooley on the cheap, and we saw how that turned out.

Just heard Jimmy "clueless" Hyams on the sports monster here in the tricities. He said to keep a watch on Stoops. He said he's not happy at Oklahoma, would be interested in coaching in the SEC and UT could get him for the same amount he's being paid now. He said the fans are not happy with him just getting to a BCS bowl and not winning and only winning 10 or 11 games a year. Apparently Stoops got into a 12 minute heated discussion with a fan on his call in show which clearly showed he's frustrated. He said Stoops has been there around 13 years now and that's a long time for a coach. That I'll agree with. Guess dumb Jimmy makes some good points but I'd have to see this one to believe it. I'd take Stoops in a heartbeat, don't get me wrong, but I would be shocked.

Reactions: 2 people
Please tell me we have contacted David Shaw of Stanford ....

He's my #1 by a landslide, but there's no way he's leaving his alma mater. They have big boosters and he has that program going in the right direction.

If Stoops is just posturing for a raise, which he very well could be. Then it's looking like it would come down to Jimbo Fisher, Charlie Strong and Al Golden. Of those 3, who would you choose?

If Stoops is just posturing for a raise, which he very well could be. Then it's looking like it would come down to Jimbo Fisher, Charlie Strong and Al Golden. Of those 3, who would you choose?

Strong I suppose.

Why all the hype about Jonk Gruden? .594 at Oakland and .509 at Tampa Bay. If you are happy with a coach that will go 6-6 then he is your man.

If stoops is upset with dumbass fans, he better stay the hell away from knoxville

Specially when he can't beat the SEC with his best squads with Bradford on them. I want to see gruden play out first before we hire big loser Bob.

Out of those 3 I would choose Jimbo Fisher in a heartbeat. Golden doesn't wow me, and until this year Strong hasn't been that great at Louisville. If you look at their schedule it is really weak. I'm not that sold on him either. He also got blown out by Syracuse.

There are going to be some disappointed Fans when they realize no elite HC from a winning program is leaving to come to UT. It will be someone from and up an coming school that looks at UT as a step up. No coach is making a lateral move to come into the SEC. As for Gruden the man signed a lucrative contract with ESPN last year. Why would he give that up to go into a situation so unpredictable as coaching again?

There are going to be some disappointed Fans when they realize no elite HC from a winning program is leaving to come to UT. It will be someone from and up an coming school that looks at UT as a step up. No coach is making a lateral move to come into the SEC. As for Gruden the man signed a lucrative contract with ESPN last year. Why would he give that up to go into a situation so unpredictable as coaching again?

I just don't buy that mindset at all. It only makes sense that money drives most everything.

Gary Patterson makes 3 million per with 5 years left on his deal. 15 million dollars.

If UT were to offer 4.25 million per on a 6 year deal, that comes to 25.5 million dollars.

Would you consider moving from Ft Worth to Knoxville for 10.5 million dollars? Most people with any common sense would have to consider it. There are ALOT of good coaches who UT could offer them huge raises to come coach for the Vols. Sometimes a coach just needs a change. Some want the challenge of coaching VS the best. I think Hart will land a very good coach.

This is wrong. TN is one of the best programs in CFB period. Here is an article from USA today published in todays national paper showing that TN still has a national perception of being one of the best programs. So stop with the "we can't get a good coach" cries. YES WE CAN, AND MUST!

Coaching job evaluation: Tennessee

What's good about the job:
Don't let the last half-decade fool you: Tennessee remains very much one of the elite programs in college football. Just as great programs aren't built over a shortened span, neither are great programs torn down to size because of a brief stretch of losing seasons. Coaches know this full well.
Tennessee is the top job that will become available this offseason
, barring an unexpected development – Oregon coach Chip Kelly moving to the NFL, for example. The Tennessee job is one that carries a tremendous amount of cachet, for several reasons.
The university's football facilities are superb. The university recently moved into a new, $45 million training facility, which is a tremendous draw for recruits and potential coaches alike.
And then there's the fan support, which is undoubtedly outstanding. Were UT fans distressed over the program's slide over Dooley's final two seasons? Absolutely. The passion is still there, and the university's ability to pack Neyland Stadium on Saturday is one of its greatest assets.

also, over a month ago one of the VN "insiders" noted that there are some "issues" that have led to the stoops family being less than ecstatic about the situation in norman.

stoops also is reportedly tired of the criticisms that have been coming his way for going "only" 10-2 and knows that at UT he would be revered for that kind of record.

lastly, keep in mind that many mega-performers (coaches, athletes, whatever) thrive on challenges. stoops may want to go head to head in the strongest conference just to prove that he can be successful.

i'm not saying that he is our next coach by any means, just pointing out why it could be possible.

We fired Fulmer a year after he won 10 games... UT fanbase would "revere" a 10 win season for a few years until we thought we were entitled to it.. Then we would be upset that he didn't win more SEC champ. games, kept getting beat by _____, or kept losing out on 5 star recruits... Such is life/the human condition

Why all the hype about Jonk Gruden? .594 at Oakland and .509 at Tampa Bay. If you are happy with a coach that will go 6-6 then he is your man.

God if I see this one more time. You people are morons... Do you not realize that Oakland and Tampa Bay are historically 2 of the worst run programs in the league. Someone who gets a winning record at both those places is doing something right.

And the NFL IS NOT COLLEGE!! A .500 record in the NFL is much better than a .500 record in college. In the NFL, you don't get to pad your schedule with the Georgia States, and the Akrons of the world... Every single game you play is a league game, with the same salary cap as you, with essentially just as talented of a team as you. That's what the NFL is all about.. PARITY. No win is a guarantee in the NFL.

So quit with the whole notion that if a guy goes 500 in the league that he'll go 500 in college. It's an instant red flag for being a moron.

VN Store

Back