Starting 3 WRs now

LOL.....yes. This group couldn't carry the jocks of the Pickens and Harper group. Pretty good bunch in the mid 80s too. This group couldn't carry the jocks of the Stallworth, Washington and Parker group either.

I think his point was different than that. UT has had two or 3 WR's at a time that were talented but behind them there wasn't a great load of talent. Your own examples work fine... who were the back ups to the guys you listed?

Swain has been hit and miss lately...mostly miss.

LOL.....yes. This group couldn't carry the jocks of the Pickens and Harper group. Pretty good bunch in the mid 80s too. This group couldn't carry the jocks of the Stallworth, Washington and Parker group either.

Read the question the gentleman is asking and then try again. Also, if the other receivers who played with Pickens and Harper were so good... why aren't you listing the names of the other players?

There may be 6 NFL guys in our current WR group. That's pretty doggone good.

First three - North, Malone and Von

Next Three - Josh Smith, Croom, Jonathan Johnson/Jennings

Guys we're stacked at WR.

1st String
Jauan Jennings
Josh Smith
Marquez North

2nd String
Pig Howard (suspended for opener)
Josh Malone
Von Pearson

3rd String
Jason Croom
Johnathon Johnson
Vincent Perry

From August 25th Depth Chart

lol no

coaches have been praising Johnathon Johnson all off season...they are not just talking him up because he has a strong work ethic...the kid is good and he's very consistent. Listen to your coaches

and JJ is good but he's JUST made the transition a few weeks ago. He's not ready. Give him more time before you announce him the starter.

Howard suspended one game, Croom, out, Perry, out year. North not at full speed. Williams recovering from ACL op not ready for prime time yet. Look for Wolf and Ellis to become targets in short passing game.

Pearson, Jennings and Malone should be enough for BG game.
Josh Smith and particularly Johnathan Johnson are very underrated on VN. These guys will produce.

The most underrated WR on our team is Josh Smith. When he is playing good, he's as good as North and Von.

I think 4 is a stretch. I'd agree on possibly 2. Others have the talent to be the #1 elsewhere in a year or 2

Malone, vp, north, and pig all have potential sec no1 talent. And if Preston Williams balls out he could be the best of them all. That's absolutely insane we have that now. Back when we had hunter , Rogers, and cp coming in I was psyched. Of course, hunter got hurt and Rogers went all da'rick on us and the season went to hell before it ever really got started. This group puts them to shame

The most underrated WR on our team is Josh Smith. When he is playing good, he's as good as North and Von.

He was the most underrated last year also but I think surprised everyone. This year we've been hearing that he put on weight and might not be ready to go. I kinda doubt that though. These kids and in the strength and conditioning program year round. Even when hurt I'm sure they still monitor what they are eating and doing. I think we'll see him return to form this year. But that's why I think he's underrated a bit.

Thrilled to see Malone start, means he's made great strides. So, we're 6'3 197, 6'3 229 and 6'3 201 at starting WR. Hope their production matches or exceeds their imposing measurables.

Reactions: 3 people
Wow CBJ just confirmed that PW would have some playing time on saturday.

Been telling those on here who continually said that he would not play this year that this would be the case.

When interviewed coaches on this staff make the statements they have made, it removes all doubt that he is healthy and ready to go. One thing people should have figured out by now, Butch Jones will not push and injured player to get back to the field earlier than when they are ready. All you need do is look at how he handled Worley, North, Pearson and Croom last year.

Guys we're stacked at WR.

1st String
Jauan Jennings
Josh Smith
Marquez North

2nd String
Pig Howard (suspended for opener)
Josh Malone
Von Pearson

3rd String
Jason Croom
Johnathon Johnson
Vincent Perry
From August 25th Depth Chart

Vincent is out for the season probably to redhsirt because of injury and Croom had his knee scoped last week. But we have Preston Williams now so we should be deep even with the injuries hopefully we won't have as many in season injuries as last year.

Last edited:
I don't put much emphasis on who starts. I think we have depth and multiple skill sets.. I'm more interested in match ups.. I want to see match up nightmares for opposing DBs. I want to see the best, most physical blockers for the run game.. I want to see a TE torch the secondary because they are scared of our WR group.. I want to see our WR group as a one well oiled machine that substitutes in/out creating mass hysteria for opposing defenses. OK, I'm done! :)

VN Store

Back