Staley Seeking Waiver For T'ea Cooper

My prediction is that Cooper will be on her best behavior at SC, and will be a more than serviceable part of their backcourt rotation. Can't see Dawn taking any crap from her.

Reactions: 1 person
I remember the posts regarding Kaela Davis and her mother on this very same site. How Davis would be a prima-donna, and how her mother would manipulate how Staley handled Davis and her team.

And yet somehow, Kaela was nothing but a consummate teammate with the Gamecocks, wasn't the ball hog many here said she would be, and actually shot at a decent clip from the 3-pt. arc. Helped South Carolina win the NC too, while she was at it. Of course Kendra had her twitter moments, but for all anyone ever could tell, the staff and team were totally oblivious to any of it. And while DeShields pouted her way through her time in Knoxville, Davis smiled and enjoyed her brief time in Columbia.

So perhaps some might learn to simply wait things out and judge afterwards, instead of making presumptive statements........

Reactions: 5 people
I wouldnt be one bit surprised if she never plays there at all. She has a real attitude problem...missed games last year, starts fights and diamond as a role model isn't much better. Both seem to be rather full of themselves and have a lot of growing up to do. I have a feeling she isnt a rock star in the classroom either. Seriously she was a major disapointment as a freshman, a year of recovery, if she was dedicated, still won't knock the rust of what was subpar play for South Carolina. If she has to sit, which would be a huge injustice if she doesn't, I bet she takes her sneakers and bolts to Europe where she will have a rude awakening about real life. She will never be an asset to South Carolina in my opinion. I am so happy the Diamond Tea days are behind us. Was it Diamond who filmed the fight, I would bet money on it!

Reactions: 4 people
Wow this is a very disgusting post. It's one thing to shame her as a athlete because of her letdown at Tennessee, but to call her a loser in life?? Wow I hope your kids don't get inspiration from you because your sick.

What’s disgusting is being awarded a scholarship to a D1 program and then breaking the rules repeatedly until you get kicked out of your dorm and suspended from all team activity.

What’s sick is attacking your teammate and having your buddy record it.

With all this said, I think there’s been enough talk about TC and DD on this board. We really need to move on. They have and the Lady Vols’ chemistry is 1,000% better for it. This is an exciting but challenging season we have to look forward to. Let’s support the team and stop talking about the past.

Go Lady Vols!

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 people
What’s disgusting is being awarded a scholarship to a D1 program and then breaking the rules repeatedly until you get kicked out of your dorm and suspended from all team activity.

What’s sick is attacking your teammate and having your buddy film it.

With all this said, I think there’s been enough talk about TC and DD in this board. We really need to move on. They have and the Lady Vols’ chemistry is 1,000% better for it. This is an exciting but challenging season we have to look forward to. Let’s support the team and stop talking about the past.

Go Lady Vols!
Agree 💯 %

Wow this is a very disgusting post. It's one thing to shame her as a athlete because of her letdown at Tennessee, but to call her a loser in life?? Wow I hope your kids don't get inspiration from you

Some ppl takes their opinion too far & become insulting. She left the team, all of a sudden she's a loser. Wow!

Reactions: 2 people
I wouldnt be one bit surprised if she never plays there at all. She has a real attitude problem...missed games last year, starts fights and diamond as a role model isn't much better. Both seem to be rather full of themselves and have a lot of growing up to do. I have a feeling she isnt a rock star in the classroom either. Seriously she was a major disapointment as a freshman, a year of recovery, if she was dedicated, still won't knock the rust of what was subpar play for South Carolina. If she has to sit, which would be a huge injustice if she doesn't, I bet she takes her sneakers and bolts to Europe where she will have a rude awakening about real life. She will never be an asset to South Carolina in my opinion. I am so happy the Diamond Tea days are behind us. Was it Diamond who filmed the fight, I would bet money on it!
wow I am disappointed in the things that occurred during the DD and TC debacle but this is so cruel! You all say TC was awful but we saw(and hoped at one point)that she would become be a great player. Let's see if it's sour grapes on our part or if Dawn can get the full potential out of this young lady.

wow I am disappointed in the things that occurred during the DD and TC debacle but this is so cruel! You all say TC was awful but we saw(and hoped at one point)that she would become be a great player. Let's see if it's sour grapes on our part or if Dawn can get the full potential out of this young lady.

All that's missing from these posts is "...and you're ugly and your momma dresses you funny!".

From Savior to Scapegoat at the speed of light.

Reactions: 3 people
so what? Any recruit that can't stand the "Heat" from a handful of internet basketball experts(me) and wannabe's (youse other guys) can take their little preciousness elsewhere.

We need mentally tough players.

Hopefully we can get past Cooper. What she did as a Lady vol is totally forgettable and she is the enemy now. May have been the enemy unintentionally when she was here.

Wow this is a very disgusting post. It's one thing to shame her as a athlete because of her letdown at Tennessee, but to call her a loser in life?? Wow I hope your kids don't get inspiration from you because your sick.

Agreed! I’m a huge a VOL fan but no need to call her a loser in life! I just want her to lose to us on the court 😎 (just trying to provide some levity).

This is some drama b.s. Cooper rode her scholarship at TN and had her medical bills paid. Then she was kicked out of the dorms, went ratchet on a fellow player, given grace to get a transfer TO A COMPETING SCHOOL... Her own actions brought her to this point. She does not deserve a waiver under any stretch of the imagination. If she wanted to play, then she should have followed the rules and stayed at TN in good standing. Or she could go JUCO or lower division. There's something rotten if she is allowed to play this season at SC.

I am about to lose all respect for Dawn. I agree you do not reward a bad apple by allowing them to play like nothing ever happened. This is a classless move by Staley.

Reactions: 3 people
I am about to lose all respect for Dawn. I agree you do not reward a bad apple by allowing them to play like nothing ever happened. This is a classless move by Staley.

Actually, it is more of a business move, not what I would call classless. But, I seem to recall an SEC rule that precluded a student-athlete who left their previous school under a disciplinary cloud from enrolling at another SEC school. Has this rule been rescinded? If not, Dawn may be opening a can of worms she would rather stay unearthed because, as best I can tell, the only basis for requesting a waiver is that Ms. Cooper's departure was involuntary, thus giving rise to circumstance where application of the sit-out rule upon transfer would be unfair. And claiming that the departure was involuntary only highlights the fact that the basis for the departure was disciplinary - bringing the SEC rule (if it is still in force) in to play.

Jim

Reactions: 4 people
I have some serious questions about this because people seem to be trying to take 2 separate punishments/circumstances/situations and make them into one. I truly am just looking to understand what the actual rules are here and whether people are just injecting their feelings in and not making logical sense. If that's the case so be it I really just want to understand the actual ruling and then the NCAAs rule on top of it to make sure I actually get whats going on here.

Question 1: Her punishment or the ruling after the incident was that she could no longer play at Tennessee correct? So that was her punishment. I don't understand those who are saying that Dawn is acting like nothing happened. Something did... she was asked to leave the team, that was the deal right?

Question 2: Last I heard Holly wanted her to be able to continue her playing career so she allowed her to transfer. Dawn asked and Holly was cool with it. She gave her Cooper and one of her assistants in like a matter of weeks. Everyone on both coaching staffs seem to be friends so why are the fans so upset?

Question 3: Dawn said in a press conference one of the reasons she applied for the waiver is because Cooper will lose a year of eligibility and she feels like shes being punished twice there. Why is she losing another year of eligibility?

Last edited:
As to question #4, (which became question #3) Cooper sat out the previous year as a medical redshirt. Having already used her redshirt year, sitting out, another year would cost her a year of eligibility. While the NCAA has been known to grant another year of eligibility for successive medical problems which prevent a player from playing, the same has not been true in a standard transfer situation. Thus my earlier comment that the only reason for a waiver would seem to be that Cooper was forced, through no fault of her own, to transfer.

Jim

Reactions: 2 people
As to question #4, (which became question #3) Cooper sat out the previous year as a medical redshirt. Having already used her redshirt year, sitting out, another year would cost her a year of eligibility. While the NCAA has been known to grant another year of eligibility for successive medical problems which prevent a player from playing, the same has not been true in a standard transfer situation. Thus my earlier comment that the only reason for a waiver would seem to be that Cooper was forced, through no fault of her own, to transfer.

Jim

Thank you for answering. I edited my post to delete my other question because I remembered the girls name who was dismissed from Baylor and looked her up to find out if she will have to sit a year before playing for North Texas and she does so I assumed the same would apply for Cooper.

Cooper will have to accept the role of passer and setting up teammates for shots to be successful. She is not the go to scorer and at 5'8" she can't take the ball inside with the success she had in high school. Her outside shot is basically a set shot that she can make if she is open. She has talent but also a mentality that she is the main scorer which causes her to turn the ball over way to often.

I remember the posts regarding Kaela Davis and her mother on this very same site. How Davis would be a prima-donna, and how her mother would manipulate how Staley handled Davis and her team.

And yet somehow, Kaela was nothing but a consummate teammate with the Gamecocks, wasn't the ball hog many here said she would be, and actually shot at a decent clip from the 3-pt. arc. Helped South Carolina win the NC too, while she was at it. Of course Kendra had her twitter moments, but for all anyone ever could tell, the staff and team were totally oblivious to any of it. And while DeShields pouted her way through her time in Knoxville, Davis smiled and enjoyed her brief time in Columbia.

So perhaps some might learn to simply wait things out and judge afterwards, instead of making presumptive statements........

Davis didn't play well at all for SC. Shot 37.5% from the field. Also shot 6-27 in two Final Four games. I don't think that helped them win the NC.

VN Store

Back