Spring Ball showed me 9 wins for 2018

Most of it would be on Butch because even though he brought in talent, he didn’t develope it. Jeremy has some time but maybe not quite enough. But remember I don’t even see this as a possibility(going 6-6) I would be shocked.

But you are literally always wrong. Like 5 years running you’ve predicted 3 more wins on average than we actually achieved. When will you realize that maybe you aren’t good at this?

Reactions: 7 people
Never said we are in a vacuum.

Regardless, Mullen is a very good coach. I do expect Florida to improve.

1-13 means nothing for 2018. And I'm not sure they have more proven talent. We'll see.

West Va, Florida, Auburn all run a similar offense and I think Pruitt will have effective gameplan ready for all 3.

Bearded Vol, go ahead with your OPINIONS of how much your team will suck this year. I'll be laughing in your face when Florida and West Virginia get out muscled by MY Vols....

Exactly, I never bet against MY Vols, either!

Reactions: 1 person
we have a significant talent advantage over 8 teams, very similar talent to UF and just a little less than Auburn. 8 wins is guaranteed and 10 is attainable with a couple breaks.

New system on offense and defense

Offense has some guys who could be playmakers, but OL is a big handicap.

Defense has a lot of guys in the front 7 who were highly rated, but have either been too injured to stay on the field for much of their careers or just haven't lived up to their billing yet.

Secondary will be one very good Safety and guys who are either really inexperienced or have had inconsistent career.

I get why some people think this team has 9 win potential. If this was the second year under Pruitt, the players were all mostly used to the scheme, and health wasn't a question mark for so many key players, then I'd probably be optimistic about that too.

But generally speaking, coaching changes and scheme changes usually don't result in one year turnarounds unless a roster is really stacked in the first place and/or there is a really manageable schedule. Even Saban went 7-6 his first year at Bama. Smart was 7-5 with a loss to Vandy in 2016. I think we've got some talent and guys with a lot of potential, but I don't think we're stacked. And our schedule is pretty rough. Expecting 8-4 or 9-3 is asking too much.

We could of hired 50 other coaches that would have won 8 games a year. It’s not hard to do at Tennessee. It’s damn near automatic.

Yet, only 3 of our head coaches since General Neyland have ever averaged 8 or more wins per season.....

Jones- 6
Dooley- 5
Kiffin- 7
Fulmer- 9.4
Majors- 7.4
Battle- 8.4
Dickey- 7.7
Wyatt- 6.1
Neyland- 9.1

It’s FAR from automatic. Only Neyland, Battle and Fulmer averaged 8 or more wins in their UT coaching careers dating back to World War II and beyond.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Yet, only 3 of our head coaches since General Neyland have ever averaged 8 or more wins per season.....

Jones- 6
Dooley- 5
Kiffin- 7
Fulmer- 9.4
Majors- 7.4
Battle- 8.4
Dickey- 7.7
Wyatt- 6.1
Neyland- 9.1

It’s FAR from automatic. Only Neyland, Battle and Fulmer averaged 8 or more wins in their UT coaching careers dating back to World War II.

Excellent breakdown of history that should provide some perspective for those willing/able to see it.

Produced what, individual success? Sure, some of those guys attained it in spite of Butch, but he didn't have 'success' because of their talent. He recruited some top tier talent, and managed to peak at 5 conference wins, and then take UT to the worst season in history.

I know your love for him is strong, but that's not success on any scale.

Love?? Get out of here with that BS bruh!

9-4 back to back is overall success...but given the talent on hand it was average.

You're wrong dude. Period.
You don't have to be a man and own up.

I can't stand Butch. I wanted him gone in 2015 after Florida.
But the guy had a winning record coaching in 3 different conferences. He was proven!
And his candy you know what, still got fired!! As he deserved.

But you're still wrong.

Jones- 6
Dooley- 5
Kiffin- 7
Fulmer- 9.4
Majors- 7.4
Battle- 8.4
Dickey- 7.7
Wyatt- 6.1
Neyland- 9.1

It’s FAR from automatic. Only Neyland, Battle and Fulmer averaged 8 or more wins in their UT coaching careers dating back to World War II and beyond.
Only 2 since neyland

Only 2 since neyland

Was including Neyland in the count. Guess I should’ve worded it better. Better way to say it....only 3 in our school’s history have averaged 8 wins of more per season in their careers.....Neyland, Battle and Fulmer, and 2 of these 3 are in the college football hall of fame.

Yet Nationdom says any one of 50 coaches we could’ve hired last December would’ve won 8 games per automatically, no problem, piece of cake.

But you are literally always wrong. Like 5 years running you’ve predicted 3 more wins on average than we actually achieved. When will you realize that maybe you aren’t good at this?

Oh no OMG....according to him, none of us “know football”. He does, but WE don’t. Dude is living in a fantasy world known only by D4H.....the rest of us can’t even comprehend.

Reactions: 3 people
Was including Neyland in the count. Guess I should’ve worded it better. Better way to say it....only 3 in our school’s history have averaged 8 wins of more per season in their careers.....Neyland, Battle and Fulmer, and 2 of these 3 are in the college football hall of fame.

Yet Nationdom says any one of 50 coaches we could’ve hired last December would’ve won 8 games per automatically, no problem, piece of cake.

Ueah, im with you

Jones- 6
Dooley- 5
Kiffin- 7
Fulmer- 9.4
Majors- 7.4
Battle- 8.4
Dickey- 7.7
Wyatt- 6.1
Neyland- 9.1

Would be more accurate with winning percentages.

Would be more accurate with winning percentages.

Just pointing out that virtually no UT football coach has ever averaged the 8 wins per season that Nationdom says is an automatic piece of cake for any coach who may ever come here. Only 3 have done it.

Just since you asked, here you go....more information is generally always better than less.

Jones- .588
Dooley- .417
Kiffin- .538
Fulmer- .743
Majors- .645
Battle- .723
Dickey- .738
Wyatt- .622
Neyland- .800

Stop engaging Nationdom. He’s either the world’s worst troll or mentally challenged. You gain nothing regardless.

Reactions: 2 people
Love?? Get out of here with that BS bruh!

9-4 back to back is overall success...but given the talent on hand it was average.

You're wrong dude. Period.
You don't have to be a man and own up.

I can't stand Butch. I wanted him gone in 2015 after Florida.
But the guy had a winning record coaching in 3 different conferences. He was proven!
And his candy you know what, still got fired!! As he deserved.

But you're still wrong.

Stop trotting out bowl wins as if they are equitable to conference wins or even regular season wins. Butch never got to 9 wins in a regular season at UT, and peaked with 5 conference wins in 2015. He was not "successful" at UT in any other category, except the, 'not as bad as Derek Dooley' column.

Butch convinced some players, who were highly touted coming out of high school, to come to UT, I'll give him that, but he squandered that talent, and none of those players improved under Butch and his system. He was not, nor ever was, a successful coach when judged against his own merits. He road Brian Kelly's recruiting and development to get the position at UT, leaving at year 3 at both prior schools, and when he had to rely on his own player development and "infallible" system, he tanked the team, and broke negative records at UT on a scale that will hopefully never be repeated.

No sir, he did not bring "success" to UT, he just had a marginally better record than the guy whom he replaced, and the lack of any Division I school's interest in him as a head coach, exemplifies the reality of his abject failure over the last five years.

Reactions: 2 people
Stop trotting out bowl wins as if they are equitable to conference wins or even regular season wins. Butch never got to 9 wins in a regular season at UT, and peaked with 5 conference wins in 2015. He was not "successful" at UT in any other category, except the, 'not as bad as Derek Dooley' column.

Butch convinced some players, who were highly touted coming out of high school, to come to UT, I'll give him that, but he squandered that talent, and none of those players improved under Butch and his system. He was not, nor ever was, a successful coach when judged against his own merits. He road Brian Kelly's recruiting and development to get the position at UT, leaving at year 3 at both prior schools, and when he had to rely on his own player development and "infallible" system, he tanked the team, and broke negative records at UT on a scale that will hopefully never be repeated.

No sir, he did not bring "success" to UT, he just had a marginally better record than the guy whom he replaced, and the lack of any Division I school's interest in him as a head coach, exemplifies the reality of his abject failure over the last five years.

As I've said.

Proven coaches get fired all the time.

As Ive said...he wasn't good enough for Tennessee.

You accept that he brought some really good players. That had individual success and "some" measures of team success..in spite of him. Well recruiting IS the lifeblood of a football program.

Proven by my definition is a coach who has imPROVEd the status of a program over a measures period of time.

Had he stayed at Cincy he would still probably be considered a success. And remember...what did Dooley leave him?

I didnt like the dude. But I can give him his due where it was deserved.

Butch has left Pruitt more talent than Dooley left Butch. And Pruitt is a better football coach. He will prove me right starting this year...

As I've said.

Proven coaches get fired all the time.

As Ive said...he wasn't good enough for Tennessee.

You accept that he brought some really good players. That had individual success and "some" measures of team success..in spite of him. Well recruiting IS the lifeblood of a football program.

Proven by my definition is a coach who has imPROVEd the status of a program over a measures period of time.

Had he stayed at Cincy he would still probably be considered a success. And remember...what did Dooley leave him?

I didnt like the dude. But I can give him his due where it was deserved.

Butch has left Pruitt more talent than Dooley left Butch. And Pruitt is a better football coach. He will prove me right starting this year...

Proven coaches being fired at other schools, does not make Butch Jones a proven coach.

You can speculate all day long, what Butch might have done at CMU and Cincy if had stayed longer than 3 years, but we all saw exactly what happened at UT, once he had to rely on his own players.

If 14-24 in conference play, zero divisional titles in 5 years, and the single worst season in the history of UT football is your definition of "success", then you might want to reevaluate where you are setting the bar.

Proven coaches being fired at other schools, does not make Butch Jones a proven coach.

You can speculate all day long, what Butch might have done at CMU and Cincy if had stayed longer than 3 years, but we all saw exactly what happened at UT, once he had to rely on his own players.

If 14-24 in conference play, zero divisional titles in 5 years, and the single worst season in the history of UT football is your definition of "success", then you might want to reevaluate where you are setting the bar.

I said him winning a conference title in 2 different leagues and having some success during 5 years at UT DOES count as being proven.
Les Miles, Phil Fulmer and others won National Titles and got canned still. I guess that's because they were unproven

Twist my words all you want.
You were wrong at the beginnings of this thread, and you're wrong still.

It doesn't really matter.

We have a better coach now.

And I think he will prove it very early. No use in debating with you about it though..

The game could suggest 9 loses, instead of 9 wins, hate to be a downer, but it is what it is, unfortunately:popcorn:

All the magazines came out this week Athlon, Lindsay and they are all predicting 5 and 7 and 2 and 6 SEC. Time to pull a basketball season as they were picked 13th in the SEC last season.

I said him winning a conference title in 2 different leagues and having some success during 5 years at UT DOES count as being proven.
Les Miles, Phil Fulmer and others won National Titles and got canned still. I guess that's because they were unproven

Twist my words all you want.
You were wrong at the beginnings of this thread, and you're wrong still.

It doesn't really matter.

We have a better coach now.

And I think he will prove it very early. No use in debating with you about it though..

You yourself might have been swayed by Butch wining 5 whole conference games at Cincinnati, and sharing the Big East title, but the rest of the world, was not convinced that Butch's entire career so far, wasn't propped up by Brian' Kelly's success.

There was a reason that he was so far down the list of coaches UT was evaluating, and had zero interest from any other Power 5 schools.

VN Store

Back