Sousa out as director of the POSL...

Sorry, I missed your citation for that claim. Surely you have some sort of evidence, you didn't just make it up because otherwise you have no argument, did you?

I'm sure his dismissal had nothing to do with the numerous scandals or his unpopularity throughout the department. I mean, ADs get dismissed all the time, right? How many other SEC programs have ADs who were dismissed from their previous AD job?

And what do you mean by "unprecedented success on the field"? Bowden had already won the national championship there by the time Dave Hart came aboard. He won another after, but that's not the definition of "unprecedented". The program was doing pretty well long before Hart got there.

So where exactly has Hart fallen short of your expectations of an AD in his time here?

Charlie-Daniels-flag-shirt.jpg

Why this man wasn't made band director years ago is beyond me.

Reactions: 3 people
The man didn't like the cutbacks, went public with his dissatisfaction--and is now getting sacked because he rocked the boat. Typical corporate mentality. Funny how after the cutbacks got publicized, the band suddenly played more against georgia.

The cut to the band budget was around 1%. I'd say that's pretty good considering the state of the athletic budget these days. Anything else?

Reactions: 2 people
The cut to the band budget was around 1%. I'd say that's pretty good considering the state of the athletic budget these days. Anything else?

Do people on here think that the track and field teams would get treated like this if they raised this big a concern after what's happened in their department? I doubt it.

They should transfer the POTS band to the athletic department. They are part of the football experience at Neyland AND AWAY games and should be preserved.

Really ought to put them under Coach Butch. Never see more than a pep band at the basketball or baseball games.

Dont tell this to the sheep they- think hart is great.. Fact is he has never hired a coach that's won a championship..but he is taking care of tn...

N sounds like hart wants it his way or the highway.. Maybe he wants to pull in the bammer or FSU band guy n have his guy... U know like he thought dools was going to beat mizz or candy n keep him around. If that's evaluating talent. ..geez we r in trouble.

You have narrowed your list of potential AD candidates to less than half a dozen humans in the known universe.

Whats gonna happen Saturday when right as they are introduced the band turns and walks out of the pre game show and goes home? I bet ole Cheek gets the message then. The pre game show like no other in the land will be all rap music.

This would be the biggest case of the wagon believing it pushes the horse, ever.

Last edited:
The cut to the band budget was $9k... With a budget
Of about 1.3million... And alot of depts are having to trim down
There was no sense in throwing a hissy fit in the media about it
And dragging the drum major into it to do his dirty work...

Thats cowardice

Do people on here think that the track and field teams would get treated like this if they raised this big a concern after what's happened in their department? I doubt it.

First off, just because you call it a "big concern" doesn't mean it was (thank God). It's been proven that the cut to their budget was < 1%, and their travel arrangements are on par with universities around the SEC.

Secondly, this isn't about any "team" or even the members of the band for that matter. We're talking about a person in a leadership position. It's been made pretty clear this is about the Director...not the band. Read the letters, he was the one that got the members of the band involved by his own choice. If he really meant what he said about it being "all about the students" then he wouldn't have involved them in his displeasure with the administration. If he says "All I care about are the students" then pins those students against the administration that supplies their budget, how true does that make his words?

That being said...If the track and field coach misled members of the team with false information about the University and suggested starting a public campaign to spread that information then yes, that coach should also be fired in my opinion. Most people in that position would have the integrity to not make that decision.

I am one of those people. How can the university of tn sell the academics when they can't educate anyone we'll enough to beat out a bammer or gator for the job.
Let me be clear, I do not like Jimmy Cheek and wouldn't be upset if he were gone. That said I want us to hire the most qualified candidate for the job whether they be a UT graduate or not. Restricting your applicant pool to just UT graduates for certain jobs wouldn't improve quality of education IMHO.

This is one of the dumbest posts I have ever read on volnation. Congratulations.
And then you saw this....

Dont tell this to the sheep they- think hart is great.. Fact is he has never hired a coach that's won a championship..but he is taking care of tn...

N sounds like hart wants it his way or the highway.. Maybe he wants to pull in the bammer or FSU band guy n have his guy... U know like he thought dools was going to beat mizz or candy n keep him around. If that's evaluating talent. ..geez we r in trouble.
Thank god Butch gets it because clearly some of our fans don't.

Let me be clear, I do not like Jimmy Cheek and wouldn't be upset if he were gone. That said I want us to hire the most qualified candidate for the job whether they be a UT graduate or not. Restricting your applicant pool to just UT graduates for certain jobs wouldn't improve quality of education IMHO.

So what does that say about our academic department? Does it say come here and you will not be qualified for a position at the school? Does it say that tn graduates are good but fl grads are better? You cannot tell me of the thousands of graduates from ut, that we have not produced someone with the proper skill set to represent his or her school instead of hiring people that wear other school colors under their suits.

Reactions: 1 person
"Bama Bangs" Dave is a Bama ALUM who I think is here to undermine the program. He hired Butch just to get UT good enough to make Bama look good in the BCS standings but not good enough to top the Tide. Hopefully this comes back to bite him, but that's the reason we did not have a "grand slam" hire.

So you're saying Jimmy Cheek who is a Florida Alumnus hired Dave Hart so he could hire Butch Jones to be good enough but not too good to almost beat Alabama but not quite to make Alabama look good? And that was Jimmy Cheek's or Dave Hart's plan? Or, Dave Hart got Jimmy Cheek to hire him to make Alabama look good? Is that it? Wouldn't either of those plans require Jimmy Cheek or Dave Hart to be really smart?

So what does that say about our academic department? Does it say come here and you will not be qualified for a position at the school? Does it say that tn graduates are good but fl grads are better? You cannot tell me of the thousands of graduates from ut, that we have not produced someone with the proper skill set to represent his or her school instead of hiring people that wear other school colors under their suits.
I'm simply saying that you do not restrict yourself to a small pool of applicants when trying to find the best person for a job.

First off, just because you call it a "big concern" doesn't mean it was (thank God). It's been proven that the cut to their budget was < 1%, and their travel arrangements are on par with universities around the SEC.

Secondly, this isn't about any "team" or even the members of the band for that matter. We're talking about a person in a leadership position. It's been made pretty clear this is about the Director...not the band. Read the letters, he was the one that got the members of the band involved by his own choice. If he really meant what he said about it being "all about the students" then he wouldn't have involved them in his displeasure with the administration. If he says "All I care about are the students" then pins those students against the administration that supplies their budget, how true does that make his words?

That being said...If the track and field coach misled members of the team with false information about the University and suggested starting a public campaign to spread that information then yes, that coach should also be fired in my opinion. Most people in that position would have the integrity to not make that decision.

What amazes me is you believe 10 people who are on payroll of the University AD but not 300 that are paying their time and money to the University. I've not defended the way Sousa went about it. Never have. However, if you knew anything about the Pride's policies, you would know that Sousa had a no-response policy by the members, no matter what. If hometown media wanted to do a story about someone, permission would've had to be granted. So the fact that Sousa lifted that policy tells me there's more than what is known. Back in 09, an editor of the Beacon was a former member. He trashed the band every week in his column. The Pride did NOTHING. We weren't allowed. That is more telling than any "official statement" the AD puts out.

So where exactly has Hart fallen short of your expectations of an AD in his time here?

He didn't fire Dooley until the last possible moment. Probably should have fired him after the Kentucky game the previous year, when it was obvious that he wasn't going to get it done here. But instead brought him back for another wasted year. Approved the hire of Sunseri after the staff defected. Stuck with Dooley throughout most of last year. Didn't fire him until he absolutely had to (and many reports from behind the scenes indicate that he was trying to bring him back if he could have just won 6 games). Didn't hire a search firm and then set about a coaching search where he didn't leave town to see candidates for weeks and then started off interviewing second tier candidates and guys who were never going to leave their jobs. Stumbled into hiring the coach that he hired. He hadn't even contacted Jones while Jones was considering multiple other job offers and wouldn't have gotten him if he hadn't turned them down. Didn't conduct a process where he really interviewed top candidates and found the best fit, but rather just seemed to be throwing offers at random semi-successful coaches... Has one of the highest athletic department budgets and can't send a pep band to Oregon...really?

On the the other hand, what has he accomplished?

What amazes me is you believe 10 people who are on payroll of the University AD but not 300 that are paying their time and money to the University. ....

It appears those 300 kids were getting misinformation from an unreliable source.

There is a reason inbreeding is not considered a good thing.

VN Store

Back