Sousa out as director of the POSL...

First off, I've never met Sousa personally, but people I trust told me he was pretty much an assclown. Apparently he thought extremely highly of himself without ever earning the respect.

Second, I did march POTS under Dr. Julian's last years. That man was a complete badass. He could be extremely difficult(put nicely), but I respected the hell out of the man. He could have pulled this stunt and gotten away with it. Doc had been there a long time and knew a lot of important alumni. As hard as he could be, he understood the politics of the university and played them well. My understanding is Sousa has never really done this, so it doesn't surprise me he's in his current position.

And finally, to any who suggest the band is not needed, I call you idiots. Stop and think how many of the game day traditions involve the band. I'm not saying they couldn't be phased out, but do you realize the traditions that would be diminished? The band participates in the Vol walk. The band marches to the stadium and crowds do line up to watch, and when they do the "Salute to the Hill", the crowd on the Hill goes nuts. I've known lots of families who always include that in their game day experience. Inside the stadium, the band performs one of the oldest and most traditional pre-game shows in the country, concluding with the opening of the T when the players enter the field. And all of these things are before the game even starts.

And after the game starts, could you imagine a UT game without Rocky Top? Listening to a 100k plus crowd trying to sing Rocky Top is an experience itself. And let's not forget other traditional songs the band plays, or at least played while I was there. Fight Vols Fight, Down the Field(UT's actual fight song), The Tennessee Waltz, and the Alma Mater. And believe it or not, some people do indeed enjoy the half-time show.

I'm not defending Sousa. Honestly, I've only ever heard bad things about him. But don't attack the POTS because of him. That's like hating the Vols because you couldn't stand Dooley. The men and women involved in the band work hard to keep you entertained. In my time, most of us weren't scholarship players, we did it because we enjoyed it. We felt like we were part of something bigger. Yes, the football team is why you go, but we add tremendously to the festivities of gameday. We help make it special.

Probably close to accurate!!!

Reactions: 3 people
The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, has relieved Director of Bands Gary Sousa from his leadership position with the Pride of the Southland Band and placed him on administrative leave for the remainder of the fall semester.

Does this mean that Sousa will still direct concert bands (once his admin leave is up in the Spring)? Are they just going to name a new leader of the Pride?

Probably something like this:

Cheek and Hart have losing athletics programs. They should be fired because their sole purpose at the university is to putting winning teams on the field.

Cheek will not be fired for the performance of athletics. I would say there are other issues that could be brought up as far as academics but just stop with the football argument for Cheek being fired.

Hart on the other hand inherited a substantial mess left by Hamilton that will take a while to clean up. He had to let the Dooley situation play out.

Reactions: 1 person
Whats gonna happen Saturday when right as they are introduced the band turns and walks out of the pre game show and goes home? I bet ole Cheek gets the message then. The pre game show like no other in the land will be all rap music.

"Bama Bangs" Dave is a Bama ALUM who I think is here to undermine the program. He hired Butch just to get UT good enough to make Bama look good in the BCS standings but not good enough to top the Tide. Hopefully this comes back to bite him, but that's the reason we did not have a "grand slam" hire.
Damn you cannot be seriously this stupid. I'm sure you believe he let Gruden out of the bag right? Dear god dumbest fans in the country.

"Bama Bangs" Dave is a Bama ALUM who I think is here to undermine the program. He hired Butch just to get UT good enough to make Bama look good in the BCS standings but not good enough to top the Tide. Hopefully this comes back to bite him, but that's the reason we did not have a "grand slam" hire.

Where's your tinfoil hat?

First off, I've never met Sousa personally, but people I trust told me he was pretty much an assclown. Apparently he thought extremely highly of himself without ever earning the respect.

Second, I did march POTS under Dr. Julian's last years. That man was a complete badass. He could be extremely difficult(put nicely), but I respected the hell out of the man. He could have pulled this stunt and gotten away with it. Doc had been there a long time and knew a lot of important alumni. As hard as he could be, he understood the politics of the university and played them well. My understanding is Sousa has never really done this, so it doesn't surprise me he's in his current position.

And finally, to any who suggest the band is not needed, I call you idiots. Stop and think how many of the game day traditions involve the band. I'm not saying they couldn't be phased out, but do you realize the traditions that would be diminished? The band participates in the Vol walk. The band marches to the stadium and crowds do line up to watch, and when they do the "Salute to the Hill", the crowd on the Hill goes nuts. I've known lots of families who always include that in their game day experience. Inside the stadium, the band performs one of the oldest and most traditional pre-game shows in the country, concluding with the opening of the T when the players enter the field. And all of these things are before the game even starts.

And after the game starts, could you imagine a UT game without Rocky Top? Listening to a 100k plus crowd trying to sing Rocky Top is an experience itself. And let's not forget other traditional songs the band plays, or at least played while I was there. Fight Vols Fight, Down the Field(UT's actual fight song), The Tennessee Waltz, and the Alma Mater. And believe it or not, some people do indeed enjoy the half-time show.

I'm not defending Sousa. Honestly, I've only ever heard bad things about him. But don't attack the POTS because of him. That's like hating the Vols because you couldn't stand Dooley. The men and women involved in the band work hard to keep you entertained. In my time, most of us weren't scholarship players, we did it because we enjoyed it. We felt like we were part of something bigger. Yes, the football team is why you go, but we add tremendously to the festivities of gameday. We help make it special.

I haven't seen anyone attack the band.

This is one of the dumbest posts I have ever read on volnation. Congratulations.

Reactions: 6 people
Cheek will not be fired for the performance of athletics. I would say there are other issues that could be brought up as far as academics but just stop with the football argument for Cheek being fired.

Hart on the other hand inherited a substantial mess left by Hamilton that will take a while to clean up. He had to let the Dooley situation play out.

Holy ****. It was sarcasm.

Whats gonna happen Saturday when right as they are introduced the band turns and walks out of the pre game show and goes home? I bet ole Cheek gets the message then. The pre game show like no other in the land will be all rap music.

I suppose the same thing that happened when Dooley got his walking papers.

Oh wait...the players stuck around. NM

Hopefully Bill Battle can do the same.

Here's another article that's found on the Pride alum fb site:

The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, has relieved Director of Bands Gary Sousa from his leadership position with the Pride of the Southland Band and placed him on administrative leave for the remainder of the fall semester.

Don Ryder will serve as interim director of bands for the remainder of the season.

Officials cited insubordination, misrepresentation of facts, and a lack of confidence in Sousa’s ability to work constructively and collaboratively with others going forward. The administrative leave is pending a full review.

“We fully support the Pride of the Southland Band,” Chancellor Jimmy G. Cheek said. “We want every student musician to have a great experience and enjoy being part of a wonderful and cherished tradition.”

Cheek met with members of the Pride of the Southland band this afternoon to discuss the change in leadership and to ask for their help.

“The Pride has a 144-year esteemed history with our university. It is never about just one person. We must stand together and work together to create the very best game day experience for all,” the chancellor said.

Also attending the band meeting were Provost Susan Martin, College of Arts and Sciences Dean Theresa Lee, School of Music Director Jeff Pappas, Vice Chancellor and Director of Athletics Dave Hart, and UT Football Coach Butch Jones.

“I wholeheartedly support the right of students to be engaged and advocate for a cause about which they are passionate. But I am troubled by the use of inaccurate or misleading statements,” Cheek said.

UT officials said Sousa’s promotion of misleading claims to alumni and band members has created a divisive and counterproductive environment. Sousa encouraged students and alumni to speak out against the Athletics Department over reduced playing time and reductions in travel and budget. This followed the UT vs. Georgia game in which the band played significantly more than in this year’s previous home games.

In a letter to Sousa, Provost Martin noted, “Competition for resources and conflict between competing interests within the university are normal. Your actions to circumvent the normal methods of conflict resolution are shockingly insubordinate.”

Sousa has served as director of bands and professor of music since 1997. He is a tenured faculty member in the School of Music.

Ryder has worked for UT for 14 years. He also conducts the UT Symphonic Band and teaches undergraduate instrumental conducting.

End of article.

This will be hard on the current Pride students, but is probably the best thing for the program in the long run.

Do you think the band will come out flat against SC?

I have 4 tickets to the game saturday and I just gave them away. I will not be part of a circus in front of a National TV audience because my University is run by a booger-picker..

This is NOT the way to resolve matters, they are acting more childish than Congress and that is certainly saying something.

So, GO VOLS, i'll be watching on TV until this BS is resolved.

Edit: I should say that I support the Band 10000%, it is one of the best gameday traditions around -- and they should have worked this out behind closed doors, but now that it is public -- YOU WANT A FIGHT UT?? YOU GOT ONE.

You do know this is why he got fired don't you? He didn't quite grasp this concept. what did you think "Your actions to circumvent the normal methods of conflict resolution are shockingly insubordinate" was about?

Couldn't hack it? He was there nearly a decade where FSU had unprecedented success on the field and financially.

He left because of a new President that wanted rid of Bowden, and Hart refused to pull the trigger.

Sorry, I missed your citation for that claim. Surely you have some sort of evidence, you didn't just make it up because otherwise you have no argument, did you?

I'm sure his dismissal had nothing to do with the numerous scandals or his unpopularity throughout the department. I mean, ADs get dismissed all the time, right? How many other SEC programs have ADs who were dismissed from their previous AD job?

And what do you mean by "unprecedented success on the field"? Bowden had already won the national championship there by the time Dave Hart came aboard. He won another after, but that's not the definition of "unprecedented". The program was doing pretty well long before Hart got there.

airvols wrote: I have been involved in marching band programs most of my life, but not at UT. I am a life long Volunteer and love the university and the Pride of the Southland Band. That being said, I would like to make a few observations . It is obvious the band has been in decline for the last few years. The numbers were down, the music was average and the show presentations have been boring and predictable. While tradition is important, excitement and effect is also important. The marching band needs to be restructured, because there are to many woodwinds, and not enough brass. Students can play more than one instrument. That orchestration creates the sound we we so desperately need. The next thing is song selection, yes ROCKY TOP ALWAYS, but new pop selections that can easily be arranged in house. Keep the tradition of the pre-game, but work with the cheerleaders , and administration to create a game day experience that excites the crowd, and for goodness sake please drop the woo thing, makes us sound like a bunch if crazy hill billies. Modernize the percussion section, the bass drums looks like something out of the 60's. Mallet players can help create hot Latin sounds, and get people on their feet. Yes keep the circle drill it's a classic but you don't have to perform a different show each game, you can change one or two things and it will work just as well. I have a lot of respect for the students who work hard to represent the university, and appreciate their dedication. We should look for a new director that respects tradition, but is open to change and has a proven track record for marching band because that's the face of the university.

Reactions: 4 people

Well Said Weezer, Well Said :hi:

VN Store

Back