Sousa out as director of the POSL...

Dont know him but a very close friend was a trumpeter in the band for several years...he recently told me Sousa has really created bad relationships with alumni....now I have no clue and if I were judgement day honest I would admit I really dont care....but for what its worth I enjoy the band...just cant have the band director thinking he's "above" the admininstration and going around slamming the "money hole"....

Reactions: 2 people
Glad Sousa is gone! I'm a retired band director who knows him as arrogant, insubordinate person. He refused to attend meetings about game day activities. An Ohio State disciple who never "got it".

Oh sorry I didnt read this comment....THE IS EXACTLY WHAT MY FRIEND TOLD ME...word for word.

Who is Kaiser Sousa? A Band director?

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didnt exist...
I say we get Mr Kobayashi to be the next director...
Or Verbal Kint... He can form the beginning of the T with a limp and 5 steps later run through it...

This whole thing seems like very poor leadership on Cheek's part. I mean it appears like the whole lot are a bunch of juveniles over there.

Reactions: 1 person
I have 4 tickets to the game saturday and I just gave them away. I will not be part of a circus in front of a National TV audience because my University is run by a booger-picker..

This is NOT the way to resolve matters, they are acting more childish than Congress and that is certainly saying something.

So, GO VOLS, i'll be watching on TV until this BS is resolved.

Edit: I should say that I support the Band 10000%, it is one of the best gameday traditions around -- and they should have worked this out behind closed doors, but now that it is public -- YOU WANT A FIGHT UT?? YOU GOT ONE.

I'll trade you 4 tickets to band practice...

I have 4 tickets to the game saturday and I just gave them away. I will not be part of a circus in front of a National TV audience because my University is run by a booger-picker..

This is NOT the way to resolve matters, they are acting more childish than Congress and that is certainly saying something.

Edit: I should say that I support the Band 10000%, it is one of the best gameday traditions around -- and they should have worked this out behind closed doors, but now that it is public -- YOU WANT A FIGHT UT?? YOU GOT ONE.

I'm 1000% sure the university won't be sad about losing your donation or ticket purchase merly pocket change to them, besides the band was the one that blew this thing wayyyyyy out of proportion and made it public. Dave hart and jimmy cheek stepped in and said sit your ass down an stop trying to embarrass the school. Someone had to pay and I firmly believe the right person did.

Reactions: 6 people

"Until this BS is resolved?"

Ummm...it's been resolved. Hence the title of this thread.

Hope the tickets got to some actual Vol fans.

Reactions: 5 people
And now...................for the rest of the story............(see what I did there?)

Sousa knew his days were numbered. He was allowed to be mediocre for years because nobody cared. Seriously, you may consider him the Dooley of band directing. Well, guess what, things are changin, and the Athletic Department and Butch Jones want a kick ass band. Sousa, being the arrogant numbskull he is, didn't want to play ball. His actions made this decision by the university all too easy. He played right into their hands. When all the smoke clears, this will be a good move for the future of the band, assuming they hire a great candidate. They are pretty rare in the band directing world.

DON"T equate my comments into "Butch got the band director fired." Sousa got himself fired after years of being a jerk. Someone finally called him on it.

Reactions: 4 people
I love the band, but I didn't like being manipulated by that petition and false rumors. They made it seem like they were going to take the band out of the home games and that wasn't the case at all.

Reactions: 3 people
The man didn't like the cutbacks, went public with his dissatisfaction--and is now getting sacked because he rocked the boat. Typical corporate mentality. Funny how after the cutbacks got publicized, the band suddenly played more against georgia.

I don't know the inner-workings of the band, but, he's just a director and they will survive without him

Oh, I missed that. Wow, commenting to a reporter on something like this so quickly seems quite unprofessional. I wonder how that happened?

That would make it slander not libel if proven baseless.

Why wouldn't it be libel? Since it was only reported by the reporter and not originated by the reporter that makes sense.

And now...................for the rest of the story............(see what I did there?)

Sousa knew his days were numbered. He was allowed to be mediocre for years because nobody cared. Seriously, you may consider him the Dooley of band directing. Well, guess what, things are changin, and the Athletic Department and Butch Jones want a kick ass band. Sousa, being the arrogant numbskull he is, didn't want to play ball. His actions made this decision by the university all too easy. He played right into their hands. When all the smoke clears, this will be a good move for the future of the band, assuming they hire a great candidate. They are pretty rare in the band directing world.

DON"T equate my comments into "Butch got the band director fired." Sousa got himself fired after years of being a jerk. Someone finally called him on it.

It has been years since the band has played a new song. I use to enjoy the half-time shows, but now they just seem all the same. Band on autopilot. This is not an indictment of the band members, but of the leadership.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
I'm 1000% sure the university won't be sad about losing your donation or ticket purchase merly pocket change to them, besides the band was the one that blew this thing wayyyyyy out of proportion and made it public. Dave hart and jimmy cheek stepped in and said sit your ass down an stop trying to embarrass the school. Someone had to pay and I firmly believe the right person did.

I do too, I don't think I've ever heard anything good about that guy.

Reactions: 3 people
The man didn't like the cutbacks, went public with his dissatisfaction--and is now getting sacked because he rocked the boat. Typical corporate mentality. Funny how after the cutbacks got publicized, the band suddenly played more against georgia.

I didn't hear him go public with anything. I heard his drum major go public after being completely spun up by somebody. Wonder who that could've been?

VN Store

Back