Softball not offering best Pitcher in State?

So, there are several things grossly misconstrued in these posts...many by Puddin. They won't be in order and they won't be exactly quoted, but here I go...

First, I'll say that Kelsey has a tremendous amount of God-given ability and she has had as good a 2-year high school career as anyone we've seen in Tennessee in a long time. (Cat Hosfield had one of the most decorated high school careers of anyone in the country) I've watched her pitch many times in high school ball and many times in the summer, and applaud her ability.

To the comments about "all the World Series" and "who knows which ones are the best" (or whatever). The Amateur Softball Association has been King for a long time. Until last year it was THE ONLY National Title or Finish that meant anything to anyone at a high level of our sport. That is not opinion, it is a fact. Last year a new National Tournament burst on the scene called Premier Girls Fastpitch in Huntington Beach, CA and the level of competition was tremendous, so that title has now become something to be proud of.

I coached at both ASA Nationals and the Premier Girls Fastpitch in CA.

To the comments about the "World Series" in "San Antonio" - First it was in College Station. Second, the Mustangs (Kelsey's team) did not get invited, they qualified. Third, they finished tied for 65th.

Someone mentioned in an earlier post that "the real competition is in Oklahoma City" or something like that - the reference was to ASA 18U Gold Nationals, which is no longer being held exclusively in Oklahoma City. I rotates to OKC every third year now.

The 2012 pitcher that Tennessee has a commitment from, Erin Gabriel, is considered by many to be the top 2012 pitcher in the country.

Softball is like all the other non-football sports. If you want to play at the HIGHEST LEVEL of your sport, you don't get discovered or recruited based on high school.

Puddin, you know that all the wrestlers that go off to big-time schools prove they can compete on a national level, by competing on a national level in club wrestling.

Same deal.

I could be wrong, but I'm not sure there's actually a scholarship offer from Florida.

Thanks, Coach. Very informative for me.

Glad I wasn't someone who got called out by an expert for my silly posts, coughpuddincough.

edit: when do the softball games start getting aired on TV? I'm guess when the season is about over.

Last edited:
Actually softball is being aired WAY earlier and more often this year than ever before.

I think the first televised games are the middle of March.

i dont know i would go as far as calling someone an expert, i could change my name to anything and comment. but i am pretty sure nowhere in any of my post did i claim to be an expert at girls softball in fact i mentioned i have only seen maybe 20 games. i have also been to many websites and seen many magazines talking about all these teams winning world series and nationals here and there, all over the place. while i am not the one to dispute whether the one softball wrote about is the BEST or not, i aint going to bank on one persons post. If softball is like wrestling in that aspect, then there isnt ever ONE tournament that officially calls you the Best. There are top tier tournaments of course, but opinion differs on which is better than the next, and i am sure it goes that way in softball too. I am sure one coach feels this tournament has better competition, and another feels differently. As far as the scholarship, that is by word of mouth, from a source related to Kelsey.

Last edited:
You didn't ever claim to be an expert. True.

There are definitely ALOT of Nationals and World Series all over the country. True.

The only 2, at the older ages, that most college coaches in the country attend are the 2 I mentioned - ASA and Premier Girls Fastpitch. This is not my opinion, it is...True.

I should not have limited that statement to wrestling, but rather said all "non-football" sports. If you're going to play at the highest level, you've got to prove yourself against the best in the country.

This is not to say that there aren't other tournaments to prove yourself against the top competition in the Southeast or country. There are some very good "Showcase" tournaments in the Summer and Fall that give players an opportunity to prove themselves. They're not Nationals, though.

Was just trying to make the point that it's not as cut and dry as UT just not offering the "Best Pitcher in the State", which she may very well be.

Again, you may be right about the offer from Florida. I have heard that from unreliable sources, and have not heard it yet from a reliable source.

Hey, Puddin....what was that gal's name again? Looks like the LVs might need some pitching after all. They dropped 2 games to the only two good teams they played in LV. Lost a 1-hitter to Stanford, 5-0... and gave up a three-run homer in a four-run inning to lose to UNLV, 4-3. Monica Abbott...talk to these girls.

This is your contribution......brilliant!

The OP is a "homer" that is butt hurt that a friend's daughter is not good enough to play for a top ten program and trying to gain support from the sheep like you.

The OP is a "homer" that is butt hurt that a friend's daughter is not good enough to play for a top ten program and trying to gain support from the sheep like you.

Go on back to clichesrus.com where you truly belong. "butt hurt" :lolabove:

You don't know the guy, but you attack him anyway....like all the other 13-year-old mentals on VN. Talk about "sheep". You personify them perfectly.

Last edited:
OP comes on here and tells us that two of the best softball coaches in the country are stupid for not signing his little home town girl then is put in his place by just about every one else on VN. You ride with him there big guy. Tells us all that you are as clueless about D1 athletics as he is.
I bet it has not crossed the OP's mind that the Weekly's are doing this young lady a HUGE favor by telling her they do not have room for her. She would sit for four years at UT. We need to replace some position players more than we need a back up pitcher.

Prove me wrong and dazzle us with your knowledge. I can wait.

Last edited:
OP comes on here and tells us that two of the best softball coaches in the country are stupid for not signing his little home town girl then is put in his place by just about every one else on VN. You ride with him there big guy. Tells us all that you are as clueless about D1 athletics as he is.
I bet it has not crossed the OP's mind that the Weekly's are doing this young lady a HUGE favor by telling her they do not have room for her. She would sit for four years at UT. We need to replace some position players more than we need a back up pitcher.

Prove me wrong and dazzle us with your knowledge. I can wait.

I don't know anything about the girl or the poster. That's the extent of my knowledge. Not very dazzling, huh?

I doubt anyone could ever prove you wrong. You don't appear to be a person who might listen to others, or consider their opinions or ever question what you already think. I could be completely wrong about that, though. I am wrong at about the human average.

Let's not bother each other any more, OK? We're probably not simpatico. You're welcome to throw the last punch if you like.

Not that it needs to be said to prove how little you know about softball, but Florida, another team looking at her, is actually ranked ahead of OUR Vols, and is a top 10 program. Once again all it takes a little research called GOOGLE. :whistling:

but thanks for trying. Stick to baseball and the Braves.

Not that it needs to be said to prove how little you know about softball, but Florida, another team looking at her, is actually ranked ahead of OUR Vols, and is a top 10 program. Once again all it takes a little research called GOOGLE. :whistling:

but thanks for trying. Stick to baseball and the Braves.

wait.....you said "offered" her when you were pimping her earlier.....which is it o softball wizard?

my comment was about the only top 10 team that matters to this board and every one, that is not blind with ignorance and homerism, knows that

I was a manufacturers rep in that industry for over twenty years, I have sponsored those tourneys that you speak of in the summers......but, you just keep taking what your local softball expert daddys tell you about how great their daughters are and spewwing it here

by the way.....what type of response did you expect with your OP? You slam two of the best coaches in the country and expect Vol fans to go along with you?

Last edited:
Puddin, It doesn't matter if "Florida" offered the chik or not. As Ttown said...she would probably sit here, because the Vols are sitting pretty with their pitching. So that argument that we should offer because a higher ranked program offered her is moot. Every team needs something different.

Go on back to clichesrus.com where you truly belong. "butt hurt" :lolabove:

You don't know the guy, but you attack him anyway....like all the other 13-year-old mentals on VN. Talk about "sheep". You personify them perfectly.

bUTrosbUTrosVOLie you pop off about 2 games the Lady Vols have lost...What do you have to say now?

As for the pitcher the OP is talking about, who cares how she does against high school teams in Tennessee. It doesn't matter the real Question is what has she done on the national level and in summer ball that is where you make your name.

Star junior pitcher commits to Lady Vols GoVolsXtra

Tennessee's softball recruiting continues to come up aces.

Pitcher Erin Gabriel, Ohio's Gatorade Player of the Year last season as a sophomore, has pledged to sign with the Lady Vols next fall.

"It came down to it that Tennessee was the best fit for my education and softball,'' said Gabriel, who narrowed her numerous offers to UCLA, Washington, Notre Dame, Kentucky and the Lady Vols. "When I visited, it felt like home to me, I love the coaching staff and the team, and you've got to love that orange.''

The red, white and blue of the USA Softball Junior Women's National Team thinks enough of Gabriel to make her the only high school junior on the 17-member team.

"She's amazing,'' said Karen Johns, the coach of the USA junior team. "She has gifted ability, a confidence at her age that you just don't see, her training methods, her practice habits . . . everything.

"Erin has a great rise ball, curve and a very good change-up; the whole enchilada.''

A 5-foot-7 right-hander, Gabriel has clocked 69 mph on the radar gun, but Johns said the movement on her pitches is what truly impresses.

"A couple months in the weight room, and she'll really be bringing some heat,'' said Johns, who served as an assistant coach on the USA's 2008 Olympic team. "But she has tremendous spin and can really move the ball through the zone.

"You take a look at what Tennessee has, and it has like a (Philadelphia) Phillies kind of pitching staff.''

Read more at link provided... Go Lady Vols

So, there are several things grossly misconstrued in these posts...many by Puddin. They won't be in order and they won't be exactly quoted, but here I go...

First, I'll say that Kelsey has a tremendous amount of God-given ability and she has had as good a 2-year high school career as anyone we've seen in Tennessee in a long time. (Cat Hosfield had one of the most decorated high school careers of anyone in the country) I've watched her pitch many times in high school ball and many times in the summer, and applaud her ability.

To the comments about "all the World Series" and "who knows which ones are the best" (or whatever). The Amateur Softball Association has been King for a long time. Until last year it was THE ONLY National Title or Finish that meant anything to anyone at a high level of our sport. That is not opinion, it is a fact. Last year a new National Tournament burst on the scene called Premier Girls Fastpitch in Huntington Beach, CA and the level of competition was tremendous, so that title has now become something to be proud of.

I coached at both ASA Nationals and the Premier Girls Fastpitch in CA.

To the comments about the "World Series" in "San Antonio" - First it was in College Station. Second, the Mustangs (Kelsey's team) did not get invited, they qualified. Third, they finished tied for 65th.

Someone mentioned in an earlier post that "the real competition is in Oklahoma City" or something like that - the reference was to ASA 18U Gold Nationals, which is no longer being held exclusively in Oklahoma City. I rotates to OKC every third year now.

The 2012 pitcher that Tennessee has a commitment from, Erin Gabriel, is considered by many to be the top 2012 pitcher in the country.

Softball is like all the other non-football sports. If you want to play at the HIGHEST LEVEL of your sport, you don't get discovered or recruited based on high school.

Puddin, you know that all the wrestlers that go off to big-time schools prove they can compete on a national level, by competing on a national level in club wrestling.

Same deal.

I could be wrong, but I'm not sure there's actually a scholarship offer from Florida.
Whatever happened to the Lady Aces?

bUTrosbUTrosVOLie you pop off about 2 games the Lady Vols have lost...What do you have to say now?

As for the pitcher the OP is talking about, who cares how she does against high school teams in Tennessee. It doesn't matter the real Question is what has she done on the national level and in summer ball that is where you make your name.

For a (self-proclaimed) "guru" you seem to 1)like to try and start contention among UT fans and 2)have no sense of humor.
Since you asked, here's what I have to say now. I am a big supporter of the LVs teams and always have been. You?

Comparison to the Phillies?

So, we lose when it really matters?

Whatever. Hahaha, man this team has the makings of a dynasty when all is said and done. Tennessee can put up UCLA type dominance with the way our Two head coaches are reeling in talent. Simply WOW!!!
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Don't see how she can be good enough to play over the Renfroe sisters, Tarango, or Gabriel if she can't shut down Ooltewah.

VN Store

Back