So proud of this team! Great Comeback!

i know there are lots of naysayers about her coaching, but here's the thing, she has almost (yeah, almost doesn't really count i know) beaten SC three times and does not have a roster of top ranked players like dawn has. she IS coaching her tail off right now and the players are responding to her. i wanted this win so bad for the team, but just as bad for coach harper. she has created such a wonderful, loving culture for the lady vols. if she could just get over the hump, recruiting and NIL would pick up. that said, UT has to do better with NIL. that's part of the reason dawn has the bench she has at SC. WE NEED MORE MONEY.

i am sure there will be laughs when i close with this point...

the lady vols can beat any team in the country. they are actually a final four type team when they play to their potential. i wouldn't be terribly surprised to even see them win a natty in the right bracket. ironically, maybe this HUGE chip on their shoulders going into the tourney is what they needed. if i were a LV right now, the ONLY thing i would want is to get back on the court to take out my rage on other teams.

We’re a solid 6 imo esp when u take how r u playing lately SOS and Rickea being out for a month (it wasn’t just her)

Thinking out loud
The S curve will be our friend
Sweet sixteen wise
1 gets the 4/5
2 gets 3/6

1- 16 8/9 4/5
2- 15 7/10 3/6

3- 14 6/11
4- 13 5/12

If 6 we play a 11-3
If 7 we play a 10-2
If somehow 5 based on curve it’s 12-4

Who are our regional 2,3,4s

ACC- NC State, ND, Louisville, VT
SEC- USC, LSU (won’t be in these)
B10- OSU, Indiana

2- NC STATE, VT, OSU
3- Notre Dame
4- Indiana, Louisville

Imo if they keep us in any of these I LOVE our chances.. can also have a strong fam base of support

Dear Lord pleaseeeeeeee put us in Notre Dame’s Regional 😭 🙏
I love what you are thinking, but be careful what you ask for 🤔...If the ladies keep playing like they are as of late, ncaa can put them anywhere...LVFL 🧡 💙🧡

Tough way to lose a game. We can second guess all we want but it was a lucky shot. We could have guarded her or we could have put someone on the ball on the out of bounds passer but we will never know. Just a tough one to take. Who knows, we may see them again. I doubt it but who knows.
You lose when you don’t control what you can control.

UT could not control an unbelievable lucky shot by someone who has never hit a WCBB 3.

BUT, you could control

1) not contesting the pass making the pass easy to complete
2) not guarding everyone on the court who could be the one for the desperation heave
3) not using the fouls to give properly
4) UT coaching staff not calling a timeout when they see the defensive alignment was not correct

99 times out of 100, Cardosa does not hit that lucky heave but UT did not control what they could control. It was theirs to lose and they did by not control what they could control. That is the part that makes some of us say coaching malpractice.

And for those saying I’m a negavol and celebrated the loss because on a discussion board I’m not a sunshine pumper, you are clueless. I try to look at things from all angles. I watched the game pulling for UT and CKJH all game and wanted to see them pull off the upset.

I believe CKJH has not shown great coaching this year. Yesterday and in some of the other games this year she had great moments but the last 5 seconds was coaching malpractice.

Well, we've been told multiple times here that Staley just keeps it close for three quarters (so as not to make TN "look bad") and then turns the team loose in the fourth quarter. Cut it a little close yesterday.

That one ref who made two critical calls got the memo, though.

Last edited:

UT could not control an unbelievable lucky shot by someone who has never hit a WCBB 3.

BUT, you could control

2) not guarding everyone on the court who could be the one for the desperation heave
4) UT coaching staff not calling a timeout when they see the defensive alignment was not correct

99 times out of 100, Cardosa does not hit that lucky heave but UT did not control what they could control. It was theirs to lose and they did by not control what they could control. That is the part that makes some of us say coaching malpractice.

And for those saying I’m a negavol and celebrated the loss because on a discussion board I’m not a sunshine pumper, you are clueless. I try to look at things from all angles. I watched the game pulling for UT and CKJH all game and wanted to see them pull off the upset.

I believe CKJH has not shown great coaching this year. Yesterday and in some of the other games this year she had great moments but the last 5 seconds was coaching malpractice.

I think that's a close estimation of how I feel - or felt - about that sequence. The three was a prayer and it went in. That happens. I can have doubts about the defense, or the lack of guarding Cardoso, or whatever, but that's still a low percentage shot. It's not the three that makes it so regrettable - it's all the things leading up to that three. There were multiple chances there to seal things up and they just couldn't capitalize on any of them.

At some point they have to show they can rise to the moments when they present themselves. "Control what you can control" is a mantra everywhere in sports for a reason. I'm not on the fire anybody train, I've been pretty supportive of this group, but when you have those moments and let them slip away, it makes you wonder if they're going to ever get over that hump. This isn't the Summitt era. Big wins have been few and far between. When the next one comes, will they be better prepared? I have no idea. I hope so.

BUT, you could control

No argument from me. Is SC a better team and coached better? Absolutely. With that said, they had 1 second to beat us and did. Did we miss two free throws that would have won it….yes we did. Lots of miscues and what ifs, but after the first quarter I would have never thought we got closer than 20. I just liked the fight the LV’s showed. Do I like the final outcome….absolutely not.

I gotta say after 24 hours of thinking, the worst part is still the OBVIOUS double dribble after the missed free throw. We had plenty of chances to win but she literally brought the ball with TWO hands to her chest. Really really bad refs and I'm not one to blame refs for losses

I gotta say after 24 hours of thinking, the worst part is still the OBVIOUS double dribble after the missed free throw. We had plenty of chances to win but she literally brought the ball with TWO hands to her chest. Really really bad refs and I'm not one to blame refs for losses

Yes, this by a whole lot.

I don't normally blame refs for losses, either, unless a ridiculous foul disparity occurs between fairly evenly-matched teams. I got to know a lot of officials during my coaching years, and they were invariably helpful, hard-working, honest, and cared about the kids and the game. Like all humans, they miss calls occasionally, but then we're seeing through biased lenses.

I was pretty stunned like everyone else at the conclusion yesterday. Just shock and disbelief. Used to would have been upset for a while. But getting older brings perspective, and I saw how utterly crushed the girls were. And Kellie...that was just awful to watch her just internally and mentally collapsing in the moment.
So overall had come to accept the loss and refocused on the team's welfare.

Then I saw that replay. And I got mad.

The ref HAS to make that call regardless of circumstances. Same ref that called the retro foul on Sara. Took away a signature win, a legendary comeback, a title shot, a recruiting boon, and a lifetime memory for our girls. They were robbed of all that. SEC officials' office should be aware for future reference, not that it does our players or staff any good.

I'm still mad, and I'm going to keep on being mad.

This weekend reminded me how much our ladies compete with maturity and class. Couldn't be prouder.

Blessed to have our program represented by fierce warriors who will do great things on and off the court. Money cannot buy dignity.

Their role model example offers the best reason to support NIL for these ladies.

This weekend made me think about recruiting, too. I would think there are many parents who want to be sure their daughters are safe, when they leave them in the care of a college Coach. They want a good, caring environment and a Coach who can win, too. They would not want their daughter around angry women who want to fight, and Coaches who allow it. They also want a Coach who can help prepare their daughter to have a good future after college, whether it be in basketball, or not, and this year will make 4 straight years a Tennessee player is drafted in the first round of the WNBA.

Tennessee just proved we can beat SC, ( one point notwithstanding), and if we have a player who wants to fight, she’ll be gone.

Nice guys don’t always finish last, and the Tennessee Lady Vols are proving that.

GO LADY VOLS!!!

Last edited:
Jewel posted to Instagram “Losses turn to lessons, I can’t see myself falling off #bounceback,” and Tess commented “Let’s go.” Seems like this is just (i’m perhaps hoping/projecting) more motivation for them and evidence of what they are capable of. Jewel really stepped up her performance relative to the two prior times we played SC.

Jewel posted to Instagram “Losses turn to lessons, I can’t see myself falling off #bounceback,” and Tess commented “Let’s go.” Seems like this is just (i’m perhaps hoping/projecting) more motivation for them and evidence of what they are capable of. Jewel really stepped up her performance relative to the two prior times we played SC.
Jewel really seems to live by her motto. She has turned her basketball struggles already into lessons learned in that she learned she still help the offense when her three- point shooting is off by driving and penetrating. She further learned how to refine this skill and her 3-point shooting when it didn't work against the best defenses as demonstrated in how she wowed everyone against Bama and SC in the tourney. Perhaps her most profound challenge has been to change her seemingly docile and harmonious temperament so that she could be more aggressive on the court in terms of rebounding, defense, and the drive and penetrate. Despite her marked progress, the doctor ordered on more year of learning at UT so that she can further refine her skills (and make us happy).

Jewel really seems to live by her motto. She has turned her basketball struggles already into lessons learned in that she learned she still help the offense when her three- point shooting is off by driving and penetrating. She further learned how to refine this skill and her 3-point shooting when it didn't work against the best defenses as demonstrated in how she wowed everyone against Bama and SC in the tourney. Perhaps her most profound challenge has been to change her seemingly docile and harmonious temperament so that she could be more aggressive on the court in terms of rebounding, defense, and the drive and penetrate. Despite her marked progress, the doctor ordered on more year of learning at UT so that she can further refine her skills (and make us happy).
Really good to see them start to re-emerge. This break is a blessing and a curse. Need to heal but I bet busting to get back in a game.

Jewel will be a superstar broadcaster some day. So genuine. I think she most definitely stays. Her play in the tourney has really been encouraging.

VN Store

Back