So Bama #1 again. How is this even possible?

Mentioned this last night. I am not a member of the "they win so they must cheat" crowd, but pay attention to espns rankings segments.
They always have former players discuss how recruits want playing time more than ANYTHING, then show Bama leading the recruiting wars.
Maybe I am just paranoid...After all, it's not like they have ever been guilty of illegal boosting right?

Mentioned this last night. I am not a member of the "they win so they must cheat" crowd, but pay attention to espns rankings segments.
They always have former players discuss how recruits want playing time more than ANYTHING, then show Bama leading the recruiting wars.
Maybe I am just paranoid...After all, it's not like they have ever been guilty of illegal boosting right?
They have no such history of that sort of thing..

Sincerely,
Albert Means

Reactions: 5 people
Saban has their respect. They think he only recruits the best so it is always a safe bet to go with him when he recruits someone.

Someone said it already. Bama drafts anymore. That's pretty accurate IMO. Makes it all that much sweeter when they lose. I saw no difference between Ohio State and Bama talent wise.

It is getting close to signing day, so it is about time for one of those internet pictures of a bama player standing next to a new car or with a hand full of cash.

What is funny about it, is that Saban gets really offended, if someone asks him a question about it.

Reactions: 1 person
You go to Bama, you know you're gonna win. You know you're gonna compete. You know he's gonna get the best out of you. Saban goes after the best, and then pushes them to be the best. You wanna be the best, you wanna play for Saban.

It's taken a while for him to develop that, but it's how people see him. Butch is doing the same thing here at Tennessee. Players like Scott, Helm, Hendrix leaving? We cater to nobody. You're gonna have to earn your playing time here. We're gonna get the best out of you. If you don't like it, if you can't handle it, transfer.

But that's how Saban does it. Players know that it's a proving ground, and the best want to prove themselves.

This is exactly how I feel.

Saban has a standard and everybody knows it. You can just sense it being around him or listening to him talk. Then you look at his success on the field and you just want to play for him.

I feel like Butch has that standard as well. He just needs time for it to translate on the field, and it's happening before our eyes.

Reactions: 2 people
They have no such history of that sort of thing..

Sincerely,
Albert Means

Don't get me wrong, Saban may be a butthead but I think he is certain everything is on the up and up.
He probably honestly believes his recruiting skills have improved 1300% since MSU.
All schools have some guilt in this area but it is all Tusculoosa has.

Reactions: 2 people
In all seriousness, I think Saban has slipped a little bit. I think his defensive style struggles with quick, fast paced, spread offenses. I think the hint to that is his efforts to have the game slowed by rule changes. He seems annoyed by the spread style offenses. He's also defensive minded and relys heavily on his coordinator on the offensive side but he can't seem to hold onto them like he has with Smart on defense. Don't get me wrong, he's still a great coach but I can see a little kink in his armour. I think it was Dooley that said recruiting is like the draft where Alabama gets the first 25 picks and then everybody else gets the rest. In think the Bama team has under achieved each of the last two years.

A smart recruiter on the trail could say Satan waste talent. Lost to a team with injuires and scholarship reduction. 68 healthly scholarship players.

Reactions: 1 person
This is exactly how I feel.

Saban has a standard and everybody knows it. You can just sense it being around him or listening to him talk. Then you look at his success on the field and you just want to play for him.

I feel like Butch has that standard as well. He just needs time for it to translate on the field, and it's happening before our eyes.

Yup. You know there are some players that if Butch had another option, they wouldn't be on this team. He has a standard. You don't meet it, then get to packing.

College football is a business. And you better come to work if you want to play for Saban or Butch.

So after today after landing Payne and Sheffield, Alabama is a virtual lock to land the number one recruiting class yet again. I am beginning to wonder how this is possible. What is this the 5th straight year they have signed the number one class? I get they are a great team with a great HC but how can any team sustain this kind of recruiting success? I know they cheat with the best of them but geez.
This is pretty much how all teams with winning streaks tend to go. FSU used to be just like this in the late 90's and early 2000's.

I think they will eventually collapse under their own weight, like FSU did. Because so many recruits want to commit early, and that tends to bloat a recruiting class with a number of kids that you may not be sure you really want. Saban will also suffer from recruiting services bumping recruits he pursues, to higher ratings than they actually deserve.

In a practical sense, Bama's recruiting class is probably more like a Top 5-10 one, with about a dozen or more over-rated players committed.

Last edited:
You go to Bama, you know you're gonna win. You know you're gonna compete. You know he's gonna get the best out of you. Saban goes after the best, and then pushes them to be the best. You wanna be the best, you wanna play for Saban.

It's taken a while for him to develop that, but it's how people see him. Butch is doing the same thing here at Tennessee. Players like Scott, Helm, Hendrix leaving? We cater to nobody. You're gonna have to earn your playing time here. We're gonna get the best out of you. If you don't like it, if you can't handle it, transfer.

But that's how Saban does it. Players know that it's a proving ground, and the best want to prove themselves.

You also have to know that your chances of playing are slim to none and you'll be riding the bench for 2 to 3 years. Unless you are a freak talent like Henry.

I have been less than impressed with sabans in game coaching especially this year. Henry should if carried the ball 40 times last night and the two minute drill at the end was a joke.

You also have to know that your chances of playing are slim to none and you'll be riding the bench for 2 to 3 years. Unless you are a freak talent like Henry.

Well, top talent doesn't believe they'll be riding the bench. Top talent believes they will play. And even if they have to "ride the bench" for 2-3 years, if they come out and play 1-2 years, somehow they automatically become a top NFL prospect, and have a good chance at making great money. I mean, no doubt, Bama puts out the NFL prospects, especially on the defensive side.

I saw this Bammer on FB tonight said they had 14 commits at the UA game. Is that true?

VN Store

Back