Shooting in California, multiple locations, victims

Comedian Anthony Jeselnik says posting "Thoughts & Prayers" is not about genuinely trying to help anyone. It's about bragging that you care.

Element of truth to that.

Reactions: 6 people
Not sure this was a mass shooting situation with high volume of shots. Seems like he just drove around and randomly shot people, including in a car or truck, at a school, etc.

Death toll up to 5, including shooter.

Normal day in Chicago.

I’m sorry, but thoughts and prayers aren’t stopping anything or doing **** for victims. Offensive or not, it’s an empty and completely worthless gesture. And for whatever it’s worth, I’m a big second amendment guy. I just wish we would stop with this nonsense like it actually does or means something.

It's very disrespectful to be offended by people praying for families that lost loved ones while attending church. Just because you don't believe in God doesn't mean that there isn't one.

Reactions: 2 people
Comedian Anthony Jeselnik says posting "Thoughts & Prayers" is not about genuinely trying to help anyone. It's about bragging that you care.

In what way is it different than coloring your facebook profile picture in a rainbow or the French flag or #bringbackourgirls?

Same can be said for donating money to any charity, gofundme, helping someone out, etc, etc. In the end you are doing the act for yourself..

Same can be said for donating money to any charity, gofundme, helping someone out, etc, etc. In the end you are doing the act for yourself..

In that case there is something on the other end that is tangible and helpful to the victim. That is what we call “actually doing something”.

Reactions: 5 people
I would find it borderline offensive if my family member was a victim.

Somebody donating blood, or time, or resources to help would mean much more. Even an offer of help not taken means more.

Offensive? I’m not religious, but if someone told me I was in their thoughts or prayers after a tragedy like this I’m not getting all upset about it.

The things people cry about...

Not sure this was a mass shooting situation with high volume of shots. Seems like he just drove around and randomly shot people, including in a car or truck, at a school, etc.

Death toll up to 5, including shooter.

"The crazy thing is that the neighbor has been shooting a lot of bullets lately, hundreds of rounds, large magazines," Flint said. "We made it aware that this guy is crazy and he's been threatening us." He added the suspect stole his truck.

I’m sorry, but thoughts and prayers aren’t stopping anything or doing **** for victims. Offensive or not, it’s an empty and completely worthless gesture. And for whatever it’s worth, I’m a big second amendment guy. I just wish we would stop with this nonsense like it actually does or means something.

you're an atheist IIRC. does the prayers part bother you?

I don't think anyone who says "thoughts and prayers with the victims" considers it anything other than an acknowledgment that they understand someone is suffering and want to extend comfort.

It is not intended as a substitute for action.

The notion to "do something; anything" is not anymore virtuous or effective.

Reactions: 1 person
you're an atheist IIRC. does the prayers part bother you?

I don't think anyone who says "thoughts and prayers with the victims" considers it anything other than an acknowledgment that they understand someone is suffering and want to extend comfort.

It is not intended as a substitute for action.

The notion to "do something; anything" is not anymore virtuous or effective.

It bothers me just as much as the Facebook profile picture crap. Meaningless gestures are just that. Meaningless.

Doing something is absolutely more effective. Really? If you were without power in Puerto Rico would you rather have 100 people pray for you, or 100 people send you bottled water? Spare me the “both” nonsense. If you had to pick one, which is more effective?

I said it’s borderline offensive, which to some is the same as actually being offended. In reality if somebody says they will keep me in their thoughts I will say thanks and roll my eyes when I walk away. At that point it’s about them feeling better, not me.

The back and forth diatribe at least addresses the issue and starts the conversation on a solution, whether we actually get there or not.

What do your thoughts do? Prayers? 100% guarantee it won’t result in anything of substance.

Your conjecture game is weak. Your bias is noted.

It bothers me just as much as the Facebook profile picture crap. Meaningless gestures are just that. Meaningless.

Doing something is absolutely more effective. Really? If you were without power in Puerto Rico would you rather have 100 people pray for you, or 100 people send you bottled water? Spare me the “both” nonsense. If you had to pick one, which is more effective?

I said it’s borderline offensive, which to some is the same as actually being offended. In reality if somebody says they will keep me in their thoughts I will say thanks and roll my eyes when I walk away. At that point it’s about them feeling better, not me.

What exactly are you wanting from people?

If your parent died and someone said they were thinking about you, that would piss you off?

What would you have them do? Resurrect your dad? Pay your light bill?

It's a common courtesy - part of being human.

My comment about "doing something; anything" is in reference to politicians who say we need to stop a bill allowing silencers because of a mass shooting.

The impulse to take meaningless action is not beneficial and should get the same eye roll from you.

Personally, if someone made a comment indicating some compassion for my situation I'd appreciate it.

If they used my tragedy to advance their agenda I'd be offended.

jerkwad thing to say

The jerkwads are the conservative politicians who have cost Americans their lives by protecting the gun industry over all else and pretending that we don't have a serious gun problem in this country. More and more innocent people die, every day, and the response of conservatives and the GOP is the ultra-lame, "our thoughts and prayers." We're sick of "thoughts and prayers"--they don't solve the problem. You've got your jerkwads mixed up.

It's a common courtesy - part of being human.

My comment about "doing something; anything" is in reference to politicians who say we need to stop a bill allowing silencers because of a mass shooting.

The impulse to take meaningless action is not beneficial and should get the same eye roll from you.

Personally, if someone made a comment indicating some compassion for my situation I'd appreciate it.

If they used my tragedy to advance their agenda I'd be offended.

Their "agenda" is to save innocent lives by getting rid of guns, which, er, kill people. What is the agenda of the pro-gun crowd--to ride around with their guns and pretend to be the macho neighborhood sheriff? That seems to be the case. I'll take the progressive agenda is at is aimed at solving a serious problem. The conservative agenda--as always--is to pretend there isn't a problem.

Their "agenda" is to save innocent lives by getting rid of guns, which, er, kill people. What is the agenda of the pro-gun crowd--to ride around with their guns and pretend to be the macho neighborhood sheriff? That seems to be the case. I'll take the progressive agenda is at is aimed at solving a serious problem. The conservative agenda--as always--is to pretend there isn't a problem.

Every time you make fun of Trump for being dumb I read one of your posts and revel in the irony.

Keep being you.

Reactions: 7 people

How does a gun kill people?

One location near an elementary school, at least one kid shot.

Sucks, I thought all those thoughts and prayers from last time might have done something.
The thing that I don't understand about atheists is that you all feel that you must piss on the believers, and belittle their faith.

I am not religious, and don't go to church, but I am more than happy to let others believe what they want to believe. What is it about you guys that you can't just let show a little tolerance for folks that have a different viewpoint? You seem to be angry at the world.

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back