She Did It Nation

I have finally awakened from the nightmare that started back on Dec 28th. That morning my wife fell in our hallway and couldn't get up. I picked her up and got her to the ER.. Her kidneys had shut down and her BP was 90 over 45. She had to be air lifted to Vanderbilt and I was in so much shock I don't even remember the 3 hour drive there. I'll never forget walking across that Vandy sky bridge wondering if she was still alive. I had never felt fear that deep and cold. I felt like I was drowning and it took everything I had not to panic and loose control in that moment. When I made it to her room she was in a coma. Things were as grim as they could possibly be. The cancer had spread to her Brain and Spine and her kidneys had shut down and her legs were swelling and giant blisters were popping up everywhere.. A MRSA infection developed in her legs, arms, lungs and heart.

By January I truly didn't believe that I would ever get her home and that was without a doubt the worst pain and deepest sadness I've ever known. She has been by my side for 17 years and the thought of having to face a future without her shook me to my very core. I knew I'd have to go on for my children but if she had died a part of me would have died with her. I remained strong for the kids and for her mom and sisters but I was coming apart inside. When that damn in me finally broke I was here on Volnation and I lost it Nation. I can't go back and read that original thread because I know I was completely out of my mind and I had no control of myself. I'm sorry I put you guys through that I truly am but for whatever reason this was the only place I could let go. You'll never know what your support meant to me. Your guys kept me from having a complete nervous breakdown that day. I am forever indebted to you all. Thank you for the thoughts, prayers, and support. You guys carried me till I could walk on my own again.

I wanted to know for sure before I made this post and yesterday it became official. Laura has officially achieved remission. She got knocked to mat by leukemia and through the will and heart of a warrior got up on the count of 9 and fought back and yesterday she offically knocked cancers ass out cold. Her marrow is blast cell free. She won Nation. She ******* won.

She will need maintenance chemo for a while yet because Leukemia likes to hide when it gets attacked but her Oncologist says he thinks they've gotten it all. If she can hold this remission in 6 months a complete cure can be achieved with Stem Cells. Her odds of long term survival went from 10 percent in January to 80 percent as of today.

I never deserved someone like her Nation. I'll never understand how I got her. She's the sweetest, strongest, bravest person I've ever known. She is the mother of my children, the love of my life and my sweetest friend.

Love you Nation.

View attachment 168685View attachment 168686View attachment 168687View attachment 168688
DD, when you need us, we are family. We know those that are venting sometimes are blowing up on family, and that is what family does, we understand and pray that what is driving you will ease and make you better for it. Congratulations to your wife for her fight and to you for sticking by her side through it all! We had your back here so no need to worry about it!

that's just freakin' outstanding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...I member...sure didn't sound good...miracles out of nowhere...;)

GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: dduncan4163
Thank you so much and that is so encouraging to hear. John Greer took care of her and got her through the worst of it. He retired in July and she's now in the care of Olalekan Oluwole, David Morgan, and Amos Clark.. It' helps ease your mind knowing that there is an entire team of the best and brightest taking care of the one you love. The main reason I chose Vanderbilt over Methodist in Memphis is because it's an University hospital that ranks among the best in America year in and out. What form of Leukemia did you have if you don't mind me asking?
It wasn’t leukemia, it was amyloidosis, they treat it the same as multiple myeloma. Keep strong, praying for you and your wife. People don’t realize when someone is diagnosed, it affects the whole family, not just the person, praying for you all. God bless

I lost a brother to leukemia at a young age and raised a ton of money for St. Jude Children's Hospital because of it. I implore everyone to keep them in mind when doing any charitable giving. Seeing those youngsters afflicted is one of the most heartbreaking things I've ever experienced in my life. I hate leukemia worse than Alabama, Florida, and Georgia and well, every other SEC team combined. Congratulations to her and your family for kicking leukemia's butt!

I have finally awakened from the nightmare that started back on Dec 28th. That morning my wife fell in our hallway and couldn't get up. I picked her up and got her to the ER.. Her kidneys had shut down and her BP was 90 over 45. She had to be air lifted to Vanderbilt and I was in so much shock I don't even remember the 3 hour drive there. I'll never forget walking across that Vandy sky bridge wondering if she was still alive. I had never felt fear that deep and cold. I felt like I was drowning and it took everything I had not to panic and loose control in that moment. When I made it to her room she was in a coma. Things were as grim as they could possibly be. The cancer had spread to her Brain and Spine and her kidneys had shut down and her legs were swelling and giant blisters were popping up everywhere.. A MRSA infection developed in her legs, arms, lungs and heart.

By January I truly didn't believe that I would ever get her home and that was without a doubt the worst pain and deepest sadness I've ever known. She has been by my side for 17 years and the thought of having to face a future without her shook me to my very core. I knew I'd have to go on for my children but if she had died a part of me would have died with her. I remained strong for the kids and for her mom and sisters but I was coming apart inside. When that damn in me finally broke I was here on Volnation and I lost it Nation. I can't go back and read that original thread because I know I was completely out of my mind and I had no control of myself. I'm sorry I put you guys through that I truly am but for whatever reason this was the only place I could let go. You'll never know what your support meant to me. Your guys kept me from having a complete nervous breakdown that day. I am forever indebted to you all. Thank you for the thoughts, prayers, and support. You guys carried me till I could walk on my own again.

I wanted to know for sure before I made this post and yesterday it became official. Laura has officially achieved remission. She got knocked to mat by leukemia and through the will and heart of a warrior got up on the count of 9 and fought back and yesterday she offically knocked cancers ass out cold. Her marrow is blast cell free. She won Nation. She ******* won.

She will need maintenance chemo for a while yet because Leukemia likes to hide when it gets attacked but her Oncologist says he thinks they've gotten it all. If she can hold this remission in 6 months a complete cure can be achieved with Stem Cells. Her odds of long term survival went from 10 percent in January to 80 percent as of today.

I never deserved someone like her Nation. I'll never understand how I got her. She's the sweetest, strongest, bravest person I've ever known. She is the mother of my children, the love of my life and my sweetest friend.

Love you Nation.

View attachment 168685View attachment 168686View attachment 168687View attachment 168688

Possibly the greatest threat of all time. Very heartwarming and so happy for you. By the way, looks like you played back in the day big fella 👍🏻

I lost a brother to leukemia at a young age and raised a ton of money for St. Jude Children's Hospital because of it. I implore everyone to keep them in mind when doing any charitable giving. Seeing those youngsters afflicted is one of the most heartbreaking things I've ever experienced in my life. I hate leukemia worse than Alabama, Florida, and Georgia and well, every other SEC team combined. Congratulations to her and your family for kicking leukemia's butt!

I heard my calling to Pediatrics many years ago in a lobby at St. Jude. No joke: one passing look into the eyes of a little bald-headed leukemia patient changed the entire course of my life.

If she can hold this remission in 6 months a complete cure can be achieved with Stem Cells. Her odds of long term survival went from 10 percent in January to 80 percent as of today.

Wonderful news!! I am so happy for you and your family. I will continue to pray that the remission holds and we can get that 80 to 100% !!

What great news! Achieving remission is as great an achievement as anyone can hope for.
I wish continued good health and happy times for Laura and all of your loved ones.

Dang, brought tears of joy to my eyes for you and yours, Duncan! That's the kind of love that makes life worth living. Godspeed and God bless!

A victory over the Gators would be sweet, but what you've just described is infinitely sweeter still....

That is so awesome!!!! I remember when you posted and said prayers for both of you. Congrats and y'all are still in people's thoughts and prayers. Halleluah!

This thread has made a lot of people pause, smile and reflect on life today. It has also made more than a few of us a little misty. Thank you for sharing with us. You have made our days better! May God continue to bless Laura, you and your family!

She sounds like a warrior. With a good team. Keep doing what it takes to have a long, loving and prosperous life together. Together is the main thing, no matter what.

Love you Nation.

That's awesome. Congratulations!

That's awesome. Congratulations!

Great to see you so up beat and posting so much and starting threads, I also beat the dreaded C word a few years back. As someone that has been there, it’s really so hard on our loved ones, as they feel their hands are tied. Sounds like, you did an awesome job. My hat is off to you.

VN Store

Back