She Did It Nation

I have finally awakened from the nightmare that started back on Dec 28th. That morning my wife fell in our hallway and couldn't get up. I picked her up and got her to the ER.. Her kidneys had shut down and her BP was 90 over 45. She had to be air lifted to Vanderbilt and I was in so much shock I don't even remember the 3 hour drive there. I'll never forget walking across that Vandy sky bridge wondering if she was still alive. I had never felt fear that deep and cold. I felt like I was drowning and it took everything I had not to panic and loose control in that moment. When I made it to her room she was in a coma. Things were as grim as they could possibly be. The cancer had spread to her Brain and Spine and her kidneys had shut down and her legs were swelling and giant blisters were popping up everywhere.. A MRSA infection developed in her legs, arms, lungs and heart.

By January I truly didn't believe that I would ever get her home and that was without a doubt the worst pain and deepest sadness I've ever known. She has been by my side for 17 years and the thought of having to face a future without her shook me to my very core. I knew I'd have to go on for my children but if she had died a part of me would have died with her. I remained strong for the kids and for her mom and sisters but I was coming apart inside. When that damn in me finally broke I was here on Volnation and I lost it Nation. I can't go back and read that original thread because I know I was completely out of my mind and I had no control of myself. I'm sorry I put you guys through that I truly am but for whatever reason this was the only place I could let go. You'll never know what your support meant to me. Your guys kept me from having a complete nervous breakdown that day. I am forever indebted to you all. Thank you for the thoughts, prayers, and support. You guys carried me till I could walk on my own again.

I wanted to know for sure before I made this post and yesterday it became official. Laura has officially achieved remission. She got knocked to mat by leukemia and through the will and heart of a warrior got up on the count of 9 and fought back and yesterday she offically knocked cancers ass out cold. Her marrow is blast cell free. She won Nation. She ******* won.

She will need maintenance chemo for a while yet because Leukemia likes to hide when it gets attacked but her Oncologist says he thinks they've gotten it all. If she can hold this remission in 6 months a complete cure can be achieved with Stem Cells. Her odds of long term survival went from 10 percent in January to 80 percent as of today.

I never deserved someone like her Nation. I'll never understand how I got her. She's the sweetest, strongest, bravest person I've ever known. She is the mother of my children, the love of my life and my sweetest friend.

Love you Nation.

View attachment 168685View attachment 168686View attachment 168687View attachment 168688
Man I'm not gonna lie, this literally made me she'd a tear. I have no words for how happy I am for you guys. I have thought about you, and prayed for you guys everyday since your first post about it. Made my night brother reading this, I sincerely mean that. I hope you guys could feel the love and concern many of us had. I say this a lot, but have never meant it as much as now, Boom!

That is so awesome! May I extend a hand and an extra encouragement?

First, the oncologists at Vandy are among THE best. They are also not afraid to ask for more opinions, they had conference calls with Boston U about my treatment. I know all the oncologists there but Kassim and Jagasia are my favs. The nurses there are the best, snuck me in CFA all the time.

I did the stem cell, so if you or your wife have ANY questions or concerns, I’ll be happy to give you my cell number. I’ve spoke to many before and I will tell you it saved my life. They now tell me they didn’t think I’d make it (was given 30% chance survival to make it thru stem cell transplant) and less than a year to live. That, my friend, was in 2011 and we are kickin it everyday. So don’t give up, any “timetable” they may give, ignore it and keep marching on.

Please don’t hesitate to reach out, I’ll be more than happy to help you anyway I can.
Thank you so much and that is so encouraging to hear. John Greer took care of her and got her through the worst of it. He retired in July and she's now in the care of Olalekan Oluwole, David Morgan, and Amos Clark.. It' helps ease your mind knowing that there is an entire team of the best and brightest taking care of the one you love. The main reason I chose Vanderbilt over Methodist in Memphis is because it's an University hospital that ranks among the best in America year in and out. What form of Leukemia did you have if you don't mind me asking?

I have finally awakened from the nightmare that started back on Dec 28th. That morning my wife fell in our hallway and couldn't get up. I picked her up and got her to the ER.. Her kidneys had shut down and her BP was 90 over 45. She had to be air lifted to Vanderbilt and I was in so much shock I don't even remember the 3 hour drive there. I'll never forget walking across that Vandy sky bridge wondering if she was still alive. I had never felt fear that deep and cold. I felt like I was drowning and it took everything I had not to panic and loose control in that moment. When I made it to her room she was in a coma. Things were as grim as they could possibly be. The cancer had spread to her Brain and Spine and her kidneys had shut down and her legs were swelling and giant blisters were popping up everywhere.. A MRSA infection developed in her legs, arms, lungs and heart.

By January I truly didn't believe that I would ever get her home and that was without a doubt the worst pain and deepest sadness I've ever known. She has been by my side for 17 years and the thought of having to face a future without her shook me to my very core. I knew I'd have to go on for my children but if she had died a part of me would have died with her. I remained strong for the kids and for her mom and sisters but I was coming apart inside. When that damn in me finally broke I was here on Volnation and I lost it Nation. I can't go back and read that original thread because I know I was completely out of my mind and I had no control of myself. I'm sorry I put you guys through that I truly am but for whatever reason this was the only place I could let go. You'll never know what your support meant to me. Your guys kept me from having a complete nervous breakdown that day. I am forever indebted to you all. Thank you for the thoughts, prayers, and support. You guys carried me till I could walk on my own again.

I wanted to know for sure before I made this post and yesterday it became official. Laura has officially achieved remission. She got knocked to mat by leukemia and through the will and heart of a warrior got up on the count of 9 and fought back and yesterday she offically knocked cancers ass out cold. Her marrow is blast cell free. She won Nation. She ******* won.

She will need maintenance chemo for a while yet because Leukemia likes to hide when it gets attacked but her Oncologist says he thinks they've gotten it all. If she can hold this remission in 6 months a complete cure can be achieved with Stem Cells. Her odds of long term survival went from 10 percent in January to 80 percent as of today.

I never deserved someone like her Nation. I'll never understand how I got her. She's the sweetest, strongest, bravest person I've ever known. She is the mother of my children, the love of my life and my sweetest friend.

Love you Nation.

View attachment 168685View attachment 168686View attachment 168687View attachment 168688
I don't have the words...

Reactions: dduncan4163
Man I'm not gonna lie, this literally made me she'd a tear. I have no words for how happy I am for you guys. I have thought about you, and prayed for you guys everyday since your first post about it. Made my night brother reading this, I sincerely mean that. I hope you guys could feel the love and concern many of us had. I say this a lot, but have never meant it as much as now, Boom!
Joe you'll never know how much you helped me weather this storm. You are truly one of the kindest, most caring people I know and I hope one day to finally meet and thank you in person. You are my brother and you are a big reason why Volnation is such a special place. Love ya Hoss

Duuuuuuuuuuuude!!! I'm so happy for you. I have been thinking about you guys non-stop. My heart is overjoyed to read this. You, your amazing wife, and your babies are always in my thoughts.

I'm always here if you need to chat. I can see your smile from Nashville!

Keith

Love you Nation.

My eyes are leaking a bit. I am in awe of you both.

So happy for you and your family. So good to hear.

tumblr_m15ep75iXY1qb4l5ro1_500.gif

Thanks brother

Reactions: marvin616
This is GREAT NEWS! CONGRATULATIONS!

What an inspiration you guys are!

God Bless you both, and your family!

God is so good. As I read it I realized I’d be the same holding on by a thread out of my mind fearing I’d lose my wife. Praise God it worked out.

Let me go on record 1st to say you and your wife are an inspiring duo.

Such wonderful news.

We all might be a little better due to your struggle. I’m sorry you and yours had to go thru such tough times to be an inspiration to us all.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for sharing!!! I'm sure I'm not alone in my tears of joy reading your update. The prayers of many have certainly been answered.

I'll share with you this short but powerful statement that I've been holding in mind recently (credit Louie Giglio). I sort of consider it a challenge every day:

Life is short. God is big.

VN Store

Back