Seriously, Boehner is an idiot

Arguably, adequate funding would have had in place tech to prevent the error. That was the point of the question.

Rather than explain why that is not the case, Boehner called the question dumb and went on a rant. He's missing the obvious linkage that makes the question legit.

Not answering it, when it clearly was a reasonable question, makes him look like he is hiding something, or trying to distract from the issue of lower funding by the GOP. Again, there may be an argument to be made that there is no linkage. Make it. Don't be a moron and say the query itself is dumb.

There is no "obvious linkage" this wasn't the fault of funding. First and foremost, it was operator error. Second, it was Amtrak's fault. They obviously didn't take the time to adequately screen this guy, who, at 32 didn't possess the experience necessary to operate a passenger train in one of the busiest rail corridors in the country.

Quick question: why are the railroads in America not all privatized?

Because they would go the way of the horse and buggy, and since they really are energy efficient, democrats couldn't stand for that. Gotta keep them afloat no matter what the cost.

Arguably, adequate funding would have had in place tech to prevent the error. That was the point of the question.

We throw tons of money at government schools and still produce stupid children. How does the funding argument hold any water again?

Reactions: 2 people
I'm terrible at riddles

Haha. My point is that there is a very good reason RR's are not privatized, and we learned that the hard way.

The Chinese wanted government jobs?

Of all the different groups of people that have lived in America, I believe Asiane have been the most discriminated group of all, including black Americans (it's close). They built our RR's almost by themselves. I have mad respect for them because of that, getting paid almost nothing, surviving the daily beatings, but most of all I admire them because of the 442nd Regimental Combat team of WWII---the most decorated military regiment, for its length of service, in American military history all while we imprisoned them and their families in internment camps. I've always had a level of respect for Asian Americans as a result.

Natural monopoly like the Post Office.

Ummmm No.

Last edited:
So basically what you are doing with this thread

People here say he knows more about the linkage than I ever could. I'm sure that's true.

So he should answer and explain why there is no linkage. Not scream at the reporter and call the question dumb.

Reactions: 1 person
He goes off on the reporter for asking the question about Amtrak funding, calls it "dumb" and says the obvious problem was that the train was going twice the speed limit.

His idiocy is that the mechanism that everyone is talking about and which had not come on line yet there would have stopped the train from going that fast.

You can debate all you want about Amtrak being wasteful, inefficient, whether funding is adequate/inadequate. But it is undeniable that his reasoning on this particular event was just inexplicably moronic.

That's because the FCC hasn't designated the bandwidth for the GPS yet, too busy worrying about net neutrality.. Gtfo

Last edited:
People here say he knows more about the linkage than I ever could. I'm sure that's true.

So he should answer and explain why there is no linkage. Not scream at the reporter and call the question dumb.

The reporter was fishing...........you and I both know it. Boehner responded to him like he should of. You ask dumb ass questions with a obvious agenda, prepare for the response.

It's pretty obvious why it's a dumb question

Honestly, I wouldn't mind using rail transport if it was more available. I hate flying. Driving isn't bad, but for long distances it kind of sucks.

It would likely be faster than driving, yet not as annoying as flying. And probably wouldn't get crammed between a screaming child high on sugar and Red Bull and a fat guy sleeping on my armrest.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind using rail transport if it was more available. I hate flying. Driving isn't bad, but for long distances it kind of sucks.

It would likely be faster than driving, yet not as annoying as flying. And probably wouldn't get crammed between a screaming child high on sugar and Red Bull and a fat guy sleeping on my armrest.

If the contests on Top Gear (UK) are any indication, rail isn't faster than car travel. Of course, not everybody has access to a 200mph super car, but the trains in the US don't go that fast anyway.

If the contests on Top Gear (UK) are any indication, rail isn't faster than car travel. Of course, not everybody has access to a 200mph super car, but the trains in the US don't go that fast anyway.

Not stopping for gas and rest stops, no construction delays, bad roads, other idiot drivers (NJ notwithstanding) or traffic cops.

Doesn't sound too bad.

The technology that was not put in place would have prevented it from going that fast. I'm not saying you can necessarily tie that to funding. But to call the question "dumb" in the first place is idiotic.

Obviously.

There are a myriad of reasons why that technology wouldnt have been in place. Federal funding doesn't equally get sent to everyone. In fact funding is divided out to who is deemed more important, usually fought over by congresspeople in that district.

For example...

Here in Orlando since we are a relatively large airport we are able to get our hands are more AIP (airport improvement plan) funds. So we have modern automation, nice low glare LED radar scopes, fancy weather gizmos, etc.

Terre Haute, Indiania on the other hand uses radar scopes..ready for this!!??!...from the 1950's.............<--literally not making this up..1950's radar scopes and an automation system that uses reel to reel tape and platters as big as cars for hard drives....

Everyone should have the new nice stuff but it costs money and that money is going to go where congress decides its most important. Disney? Or bumf@@k Indiana? Disney wins. Same methodology is applied to Amtrak albeit a larger city SHOULD have modern technological amenities I would assume that the lack of funding can probably be tied to a local congressperson.

Let's see..Oh Robert Brady who has served there since..Oh..1998. Oh a democrat.

Not stopping for gas and rest stops, no construction delays, bad roads, other idiot drivers (NJ notwithstanding) or traffic cops.

Doesn't sound too bad.

Gas and rest stops are unavoidable. Construction, bad roads, etc. are all avoidable if you don't mind getting off the interstate and enjoying a backroad or two.

Point taken, though. Trains are a good alternative to flying and are far better (though much more expensive) than Greyhound.

This whole situation is almost the exact premise of Atlas Shrugged.

mmmmmmmm no. Dagny's train would have made it on Hank's track.

Or are you saying it crashed because of government incompetency? In that case I agree with you. Actually with Barrack Obola in office, Ayn Rand looks positively clairvoyant.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back