Selby is absolutely critical to this team......

I've said this several times in a few threads now but WWW is now an official sports agent. One of his first clients is Auburn's new coach (Cal's protege). Therefore it is my understanding that he can no longer provide the "services" he once did, which were always shady to say the least.

Do you really think that's going to stop WWW from working his connections for Cal's benefit?

Cal will still get players with or without WWW. However he’ll also continue to do this:

Oh, I agree. But Pearl needs draft picks to go on. You can't recruit elite players consistently without them.

People can feel free to defend the actions of Bruce Pearl from many years go, but it wasn't a smart move if you want to make friends among other coaches.

:lolabove:Who needs friends among other coaches? They will one and all stab you in the back first chance they get. Remember Buzz Petersen's FRIEND, Jeff Lebo stealing recruits from Buzz? And another thing, Players like Wall and Cousins are going to be drafted very highly no matter where they play or which coach they play for. Its the talent, and the hard work, not the school or the coach. :banghead2:

Is it critical that we get Selby.....NO....would it be nice to land him.....YES

:lolabove:Who needs friends among other coaches? They will one and all stab you in the back first chance they get. Remember Buzz Petersen's FRIEND, Jeff Lebo stealing recruits from Buzz? And another thing, Players like Wall and Cousins are going to be drafted very highly no matter where they play or which coach they play for. Its the talent, and the hard work, not the school or the coach. :banghead2:
You're kidding if you don't think putting players in the NBA will make it easier to sell that you can.

With the 198 Selby threads on VN right now, I'm not sure if this has been posted yet or not, so I will post this in all of them. SI interview by Luke Winn with Selby, in which it appears he has all but cancelled Kentucky out of the mix. (Although some around here still make stupid assumptions otherwise. Below is the gist:

What he meant by it not having any affect on him is that he feels he’s good enough to earn time in any backcourt, whether it be alongside Knight or the Jayhawks’ Tyshawn Taylor. But one could sense that Selby, who’s going to announce his college choice at halftime of Saturday’s Jordan game, wasn’t too interested in Kentucky. He mentioned that while he’d spoken with KU coach Bill Self a few days earlier, he hadn’t spoken with Calipari in a couple of months.

Last edited:
Wrong we are a top 20 team.

No we are not. Don't kid yourself.

Goins can't dribble or create offense

We all know Scotty's trouble and Cam hasn't shown any consistentcy

We only have one true center and he can't score. Kenny Hall is still a work in progress.

While Tobias Harris is going to be a factor from day one. Golden will have to switch to PG. McRae really has to gain weight. We don't have a consistent back up wing or Power Forward. We have a lot of questions right now. Selby helps with a lot of them though. But right now, we aren't a Top 20 team.

With the 198 Selby threads on VN right now, I'm not sure if this has been posted yet or not, so I will post this in all of them. SI interview by Luke Winn with Selby, in which it appears he has all but cancelled Kentucky out of the mix. (Although some around here still make stupid assumptions otherwise. Below is the gist:

"What he meant by it not having any affect on him is that he feels he’s good enough to earn time in any backcourt, whether it be alongside Knight or the Jayhawks’ Tyshawn Taylor. But one could sense that Selby, who’s going to announce his college choice at halftime of Saturday’s Jordan game, wasn’t too interested in Kentucky. He mentioned that while he’d spoken with KU coach Bill Self a few days earlier, he hadn’t spoken with Calipari in a couple of months.

So...it's most likely a UT KU battle. I'm okay with that. UConn may be in it...but that's okay. Out of conference teams are fine if he wants to go there, even though we play UConn...so i'd prefer him go to KU if he ain't coming here.

We only have one true center and he can't score. Kenny Hall is still a work in progress.

While Tobias Harris is going to be a factor from day one. Golden will have to switch to PG. McRae really has to gain weight. We don't have a consistent back up wing or Power Forward. We have a lot of questions right now. Selby helps with a lot of them though. But right now, we aren't a Top 20 team.

With all that being said, we are still a top 20 team.

I'm not sure we are in that bad of shape without Selby, but I agree with you that with Selby, we're final four contenders.

So...it's most likely a UT KU battle. I'm okay with that. UConn may be in it...but that's okay. Out of conference teams are fine if he wants to go there, even though we play UConn...so i'd prefer him go to KU if he ain't coming here.

Somehow, I failed to post the most important part of the quote, which was this.

He mentioned that while he’d spoken with KU coach Bill Self a few days earlier, he hadn’t spoken with Calipari in a couple of months.

I asked if I should take that as a sign. Selby said, “Yeah, that’s a sign.”

If he's trying to win championships, then this is going to be the first class that actually has that kind of potential.

He's made it pretty nice runs in march with some less talented teams. If you put all the players we lost(crews, smith, smith, etc) in the mix we woulda been even better possibly and gone further in the tourneys. He's already taken the program to new heights. And its still getting bigger. He'll be fine!
Posted via VolNation Mobile

He's made it pretty nice runs in march with some less talented teams. If you put all the players we lost(crews, smith, smith, etc) in the mix we woulda been even better possibly and gone further in the tourneys. He's already taken the program to new heights. And its still getting bigger. He'll be fine!
Posted via VolNation Mobile
I'm not saying Pearl wont' succeed, but the best players he's had haven't been where they've needed to be if you want to win championships.

there is only one michael jordan, i think he retired. this kid may be good but i think the vols will survive with or without him. these forums are always representing a single guy as the end all. like there is no team and no process....boring

I'm not sure we are in that bad of shape without Selby, but I agree with you that with Selby, we're final four contenders.

If I knew who could consistently put the ball in the bucket, I wouldn't be too concerned.

If I knew who could consistently put the ball in the bucket, I wouldn't be too concerned.

I think Tatum is going to make big strides in the offseason now that he's healthy. Who knows what we'll get out of Hopson. I think Harris will get at minimum the same ppg that Chism was giving us, which was around 12 or 13 I think. I can see Williams averaging around 10 pts and 8 rbs if he can build off his performance down the stretch. We might be top 20 without Selby, but I don't see us being anything more than that. With him, we are instantly top 10, imo.

Nice addition to an already great class = Absolutely ............... Critical = Absolutely Not

I agree: I don't think it is a critical addition. Would be nice, but definantly not critical. VOLS will manage with or without SELBY.

I agree: I don't think it is a critical addition. Would be nice, but definantly not critical. VOLS will manage with or without SELBY.

Agreed....did anyone else notice that a few months after we lost Selby and picked up Harris that nobody really thought anything about getting Selby back, and we weren't doomed or freakin out...but now that he is interested again, if we lose him, it's the end of our basketball program as we know it.

Whatever. We'll make it with the no-namers and 2 stars, and we'll make it with the 4-5 stars. No difference. We're still Tennessee. If he wants to come, bring him on. If he doesn't, don't kid yourself....we're still Tennessee.

VN Store

Back