Selby is absolutely critical to this team......

Pretty sure Selby is guaranteed playing time at UT without much competition.

Yeah no doubt about that, but at least we have Melvin and maybe Bone who would rotate in some.....I'm not saying they are anywhere near the talent Selby is, it's just how Pearl uses his players and UT has some solid options to rotate in, while UK pretty much has nobody to sub in at this point and Selby would see about 40 mins a game

Cal is the best recruiter in the nation no doubt, but I don't think he is smoking Pearl....What does Cal have 3 5*'s this year, and we got a 5* and two 4*'s? I know Cal got a verbal from the #1 committ next year, but UT already has a 5* and a 4* for next year so we are competing just fine. Not to mention it's a lot easier to bring someone in, when you can guarentee playing time and no competition for it considering how depleted that roster is at UK

I agree with you. It seems as though Pearl is just a hair behind Cal in recruiting. Pearl is a very good recruiter, but Cal is the Orgeron of CBB recruiting. I would think that after taking a bunch of one and dones at KY, will that eventually hurt their graduation rate, and force them to lose scholarships, or do I just not understand how that process works?

Oh, I agree. But Pearl needs draft picks to go on. You can't recruit elite players consistently without them.

People can feel free to defend the actions of Bruce Pearl from many years go, but it wasn't a smart move if you want to make friends among other coaches.

CBP is doing fine recruiting man. Where have you been? Look at our classes before he came to Knoxville before you say anything about him and his recruiting ability!
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I agree with you. It seems as though Pearl is just a hair behind Cal in recruiting. Pearl is a very good recruiter, but Cal is the Orgeron of CBB recruiting.

Cal has one major advantage over Pearl when it comes to recruiting: World Wide Wes.

this team will finish top ten with or without selby. the continued improvement of goins,williams, hopson,tatum along with the delelopment of hall,maymon and josh bones combined with the 3 freshman will give us more then enough options and depth to win 30 games and keep pearl and mcbee off the damn court except in garbage time. those who think hopson is not going to contribute greatly are mistaken. who thought jp prince would ever develop the way he did. this will be scotty and brian's team next year and both will post great numbers consistently.while selby would be nice i tend to think we will be better and play more team ball like this years team without him.goins is a solid fearless unselfish point guard who plays great d. i would rather have him getting minutes then selby.

so lets see , is selby going to play better d then goins, no, will selby buy into the concept of team better then goins no, who will care only about his personal stats to get to the show
oh yeah selby. if you want a freaking national championship you are not going to get one with a prima donna like selby. the one thing pearl has done is sold all his players on the importance of being a team.add selby to the mix and this team probably has major chemistry issues. teams win championships with a combination of talent and effort. if talent won championships kentucky and kansas would have been playing in the title game. we don't need friggin selby.i'll take a good defensive guard who hustles like crazy over some pampered superstar any time in college ball.

teams win championships with a combination of talent and effort.

Sounds like Selby is your guy, and you just don't know it. Have you ever seen him play? Very TALENTED player who plays with relentless EFFORT. Tennessee would be lucky to have him.

Sounds like Selby is your guy, and you just don't know it. Have you ever seen him play? Very TALENTED player who plays with relentless EFFORT. Tennessee would be lucky to have him.

I also heard one of the recruiting experts on rivals say that a lot of times he forgets about his teammates and tends to think he's the only guy on the floor.

I also heard one of the recruiting experts on rivals say that a lot of times he forgets about his teammates and tends to think he's the only guy on the floor.

If you're referring to Jerry Meyers' notes on the McDonald's All-American practices, I wouldn't form my opinion based solely on that information. It's a high school all-star game where most players just want to showcase their abilities.

IMO, I don't think hopson is ever gonna get the job done. He has a horrible attitude and he walks arourd the court like he's half asleep all the time. I can't stand that little look he has everytime he bricks a freethrow, I just want to grab him by the collar and smack the shat out of him and tell him to wake the hell up. But maybe that's just me.

If you're referring to Jerry Meyers' notes on the McDonald's All-American practices, I wouldn't form my opinion based solely on that information. It's a high school all-star game where most players just want to showcase their abilities.

Yeah your probably right.

so lets see , is selby going to play better d then goins, no, will selby buy into the concept of team better then goins no, who will care only about his personal stats to get to the show
oh yeah selby. if you want a freaking national championship you are not going to get one with a prima donna like selby. the one thing pearl has done is sold all his players on the importance of being a team.add selby to the mix and this team probably has major chemistry issues. teams win championships with a combination of talent and effort. if talent won championships kentucky and kansas would have been playing in the title game. we don't need friggin selby.i'll take a good defensive guard who hustles like crazy over some pampered superstar any time in college ball.
*pre madonna

When you have a pipeline like that, you can't help but pull in big classes year after year. WWWes first sent DeJuan Wagner to Cal and has been funneling players to him ever since.

*pre madonna

Nope, he's correct. Prima Donna is the actual spelling..

and he's also correct about what he said. I agree. But Bruce would be willing to sacrifice the "team chemistry" for a year to give Tennessee the acclaim of taking 2 5* players, and for a chance to make it even further in the tournament. Man's got a job to keep. And we don't know that Selby's attitude will be that. IF this lockout happens...will players stay in school longer? They probably wouldn't go out to the draft as quickly.

Just a thought. I want him, but my world won't be over if we didn't get him.

this team will finish top ten with or without selby. the continued improvement of goins,williams, hopson,tatum along with the delelopment of hall,maymon and josh bones combined with the 3 freshman will give us more then enough options and depth to win 30 games and keep pearl and mcbee off the damn court except in garbage time. those who think hopson is not going to contribute greatly are mistaken. who thought jp prince would ever develop the way he did. this will be scotty and brian's team next year and both will post great numbers consistently.while selby would be nice i tend to think we will be better and play more team ball like this years team without him.goins is a solid fearless unselfish point guard who plays great d. i would rather have him getting minutes then selby.

I had to read that twice, but anyway you're wrong. If you think this current team can win 30 games you are out of your mind. Who is going to score? Hopson? What has he done to think he's going to put up 15-17 ppg? While Melvin is solid defensively, he has struggled to create and initiate offense. He also has struggled with ball pressure. I'm sorry, but you can't be serious saying this team will win 30 games with the current team.

Last edited:

We do need Selby and you don't know what you're talking about. Have you seen him play a full game? How do you he doesn't hustle. The kid is struggling deciding where he wants to go to college; that makes him a prima donna? Please. You have no clue what you are talking about.

I'll take a potential 20/5 guy with Top 10-draft pick like talent over a kid who can't create for others or dribble.

BTW: How do you know he won't play D? Please tell me where he hasn't?

"if you want a freaking national championship you are not going to get one with a prima donna like selby"

I wholeheartedly disagree.

Signed,
Carmelo Anthony

That's easy to do when you're in high school, and are a player as good as he is. It'll be different when he gets to college though.

Cal has one major advantage over Pearl when it comes to recruiting: World Wide Wes.

I've said this several times in a few threads now but WWW is now an official sports agent. One of his first clients is Auburn's new coach (Cal's protege). Therefore it is my understanding that he can no longer provide the "services" he once did, which were always shady to say the least.

CBP is doing fine recruiting man. Where have you been? Look at our classes before he came to Knoxville before you say anything about him and his recruiting ability!
If he's trying to win championships, then this is going to be the first class that actually has that kind of potential.

VN Store

Back