Sec media days

I think we beat at least one out of WV, UF, and Sakerlina. Sakerlina has lost 4 straight to UK, I think they are getting way overblown. If we beat none of those teams I'll be disappointed. 2 of those teams I'll be pretty happy...3...well, well, let's just say...cornbread.

Defense finished 106th last year. Offense finished 20th last year. They finished with 6 losses against a much weaker schedule than Florida played. They may be a rougher game, but there is nothing concrete to cause more concern than Florida.

Yes, their defense is terrible. Our offense is also terrible.

Their offense is explosive. Our defense is terrible.

They are positioned to take advantage of our weak spots (and there are many) and we aren't positioned to take advantage of their weak spots. We just don't match up well against them, and I expect them to score a ton of points unless Pruitt is able to correct a bunch of problems on the defense really quickly.

Yes, their defense is terrible. Our offense is also terrible.

Their offense is explosive. Our defense is terrible.

They are positioned to take advantage of our weak spots (and there are many) and we aren't positioned to take advantage of their weak spots. We just don't match up well against them, and I expect them to score a ton of points unless Pruitt is able to correct a bunch of problems on the defense really quickly.
You've never seen our offense or defense. No one else has either. How are they going to prepare for it? Could be terrible, could be decent, who knows. Looks like their offense was explosive against lesser opponents and shut down by decent ones. Once again, we could lose, but they are not likely to be rougher than UF.

I admit I was mildly taken by surprise to hear David Pollack ask that the Tennessee schedule graphic be put up, when it appeared he then said look at that schedule and find me 3 wins in the first eight games.

It is also quite possible that we roll into Athens, GA 4-0. Don't rule it out.

WV defense could be worse than their offense is good.

And Florida expectations are getting so out of hand. Everyone is fluffing them up for a letdown.

Reactions: 6 people
You've never seen our offense or defense. No one else has either. How are they going to prepare for it? Could be terrible, could be decent, who knows. Looks like their offense was explosive against lesser opponents and shut down by decent ones. Once again, we could lose, but they are not likely to be rougher than UF.

Their offense was only shut down twice all year, and actually it came against mediocre defenses late in the season (Texas and Utah). So that would actually seem to be in our favor. :)

In their other losses, they either scored what should have been enough points to win or scored a lot: 24 against Virginia Tech, 24 against TCU, 39 against Oklahoma St, and 31 against Oklahoma, all losses. In those 4 losses they averaged 29.5 ppg. Maybe I'm still old school, but 24 points seems like enough to win, especially when you are playing good defenses in Virginia Tech and TCU.

If they played a lick of defense, they would have beaten at least Oklahoma St and Oklahoma (who were ranked #10 and #3 respectively at the time they played them), finished 9-4, and been a ranked team.

I expect them to score a ton of points on our defense unless Pruitt has somehow vastly improved our defensive play at all levels over one practice cycle. Meanwhile we don't have proven QB play or a good offensive line, and our best O-lineman missed all spring with an undisclosed illness/injury. We just don't match up well.

Probably start out in base coverages and making adjustments as needed.

Can anyone show me a tougher 5 game stretch in the country than ours (FL, UGA, Auburn, Bama and USCjr)? This is exactly what our schedule looked like in 2016 except we played Texas A&M instead of Auburn. Whoever is in charge of scheduling clearly is not a UT fan. BS schedule. Mean while UF and UGA have a way more favorable schedule. Shocker.

All I heard was blah blah blah....blah blah blah blah

Reactions: 1 person
All I heard was blah blah blah....blah blah blah blah

Most SEC teams have similar stretches of games in the middle of the season. UT's looks bad because of UT. UF and USC shouldn't be THAT feared.

I agree with having UGA, Auburn, & Bama in a 3 game stretch is daunting but outside of that the schedule is manageable.

Their offense was only shut down twice all year, and actually it came against mediocre defenses late in the season (Texas and Utah). So that would actually seem to be in our favor. :)

In their other losses, they either scored what should have been enough points to win or scored a lot: 24 against Virginia Tech, 24 against TCU, 39 against Oklahoma St, and 31 against Oklahoma, all losses. In those 4 losses they averaged 29.5 ppg. Maybe I'm still old school, but 24 points seems like enough to win, especially when you are playing good defenses in Virginia Tech and TCU.

If they played a lick of defense, they would have beaten at least Oklahoma St and Oklahoma (who were ranked #10 and #3 respectively at the time they played them), finished 9-4, and been a ranked team.

I expect them to score a ton of points on our defense unless Pruitt has somehow vastly improved our defensive play at all levels over one practice cycle. Meanwhile we don't have proven QB play or a good offensive line, and our best O-lineman missed all spring with an undisclosed illness/injury. We just don't match up well.

I don’t expect our defense to come outta the gate super improved. Hope I’m wrong, and I think they will reach a point that looks night and day from last year...3-4 games into the year...but, not expecting it this game.

I still think this game is winnable if we win the turnover and kicking game...jmo..

Most SEC teams have similar stretches of games in the middle of the season. UT's looks bad because of UT. UF and USC shouldn't be THAT feared.

I agree with having UGA, Auburn, & Bama in a 3 game stretch is daunting but outside of that the schedule is manageable.

Zackly. It’s a SEC schedule! outside of barely top 20 West Virginia. Making it out like they scheduled pro teams. :huh:

Last edited:
First three games are wins, then it gets rough.

:lolabove: Our 1st team defense got handled by JG in spring practice and he isn't one of the top 10 QB's in the SEC...Can you only imagine what Will Grier is going to do to them?...It's not going to be pretty.

I still think we have a 6-6 to 7-5 team. Only 3-4 teams on our schedule have out recruited us consistently. I think with our coaching staff we should be good for 2-3 more wins than last seasons disaster. I think a blind and def chimp could coach our defense to at least top 60 in the country. If our offense can get to around 40th in the country we should be a solid middle of the road SEC team. We have more talent than first glance suggests. Not a team to be feared necessarily, but not one that you should overlook on your schedule either. Think South Carolina last season. They weren’t setting the world on fire, but they were solid and gritty.

Saying there is “no doubt” they beat us in Pruitt’s SEC opener, at home...is way premature and dumb..

I'm optimistic about this one. FL's first road game under a new coach. I think that and us being at home gives us a decent advantage.

They’re holding the Conference USA media days in the building I’m working in. Anybody want me to say hi to Kiffin? :wavey:

I'm optimistic about this one. FL's first road game under a new coach. I think that and us being at home gives us a decent advantage.
It never has before..1st year coaches at UF tend to make us their marquee win to start their careers at UF.

I feel like Dan Mullen is one of those coaches that NEEDS a BAMF at QB to have a decent team. Like When he doesn’t have the next Deshaun Watson, his teams are very average and mediocre. But when he DOES have one, he can really have some kick ass teams.

And as far as West Virginia goes, I say we line it up and run it down their throats for 60 minutes. Their D line is horrible. Keeping Will Grier on the sidelines for most of the game should be our strategy. Control the clock.

Just my thoughts.

It never has before..1st year coaches at UF tend to make us their marquee win to start their careers at UF.

2002 vs UF and Ron Zook in Neyland is one of the worst experiences I have ever encountered there. Pouring rain and a complete butt kicking.

VN Store

Back