SEC Expansion (merged)

I've heard that Texas may go Independent.

If the SEC is expanding to 16 I want Miami & FSU. I really don't care who the other two teams are.

1. There is an uneven split of revenues amongst teams and multiple teams can make more $$$ elsewhere (Nebraska, Mizzou, Texas, Texas A&M, OU, etc.)

2. IMO, PAC 10 and Big 10 WILL expand.

3. What do we do?

My opinion,

Add Texas A&M, FSU, OU and maybe Okie State (not sure if OU would come without Okie State....

Divisions:

East - KY, Vandy, Fla, Ga, Aubie, FSU, SC and UT
West - Bama, Ole Miss, Miss St, LSU, Arkie, A&M, OU and OSU.

Read here in Dallas and other Texas rags that A&M and Texas may not be joined at the hip this time. Texas to PAC 10 and A&M to SEC. Aggies fit real well with SEC.

Now let's roll....

i like this scenario the best
i dont see texas and a&m having to go the same direction

:mad:
I hate to say it, but most of my aggie brethren are screaming SEC and leave our nemesis.

Would you ever believe that Auburn and Alabama would split? How about Georgia never playing Florida again? What school in their right mind would join the SEC, and then schedule a team like Texas in out of conference play? Good luck landing a bowl after that gauntlet.

We already have plenty of history with LSU and Arkie.. I think the pull of the Big10 and Pac10 Cash as well as academics is very large though, and the pac10 is going to let us keep the scrubs (not just weighing football). That will circumvent the politics issue.

College football is about to be flipped upside down across the whole country.

I just can't believe everyone wanting Miami in the SEC. Really? Thug U in the SEC? I think there are far better choices than Miami, but that's just my opinion. Memories of some of their past antics die hard. No thanks.

I just can't believe everyone wanting Miami in the SEC. Really? Thug U in the SEC? I think there are far better choices than Miami, but that's just my opinion. Memories of some of their past antics die hard. No thanks.

i hear ya. i want florida state over miami. but in miamis defense jimmy johnson and butch davis arent there so they dont have quite the number of thugs as then. if they do then they certainly arent the same quality of thug

The SEC would only take the top tier from the former SWC for the west like Texas A&M, OU etc and teams from the ACC for the east FSU, UM, VT etc. Its all bout what can you do for us. Each party benefits. teams teams that the SEC knows will improve the competetiveness of the conference plus increase the revenue.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

it's about 2-3 times as much about the revenue than it is about the competitiveness

That said, there's somewhat of a possible dilemma that if you were to get Texas, you'd have to take A&M and Texas Tech too at least

You are either very young or do not know much about sports in general....GT was already a member of the SEC and should never be extended another invitation...Ever..FSU has been offered TWICE and refused Twice....Miami brings a rich tradition of winning national titles in football and usually has a decent basketball team and would open up that rich south florida recruiting area even more.....Not to mention UF would have a fit over having to play them every year...To say UNC is a basketball only school is pure ridiculous, any school with a overall record of: 647-488-54 is not a basketball only school....In fact they have had some very strong teams over the years and now with Davis as coach they are rebuilding a nice program over there....UT has a good history playing UNC and they would be a nice fit sports wise.

UNC won't be high on the expansion list - when we do go through with it - when the conference starts having talks. Sorry, but it's just not a strong overall addition

Last edited:
Not sure what will come of the Big XII, but it seems as if Texas will either join the Pac-10 or go independent. Either would be a good choice for them. Still, I can't shake the idea that the Big XII South (minus Baylor) is a package deal wherever they go.

But I can make a 100% guarantee right now that if the Big Ten adds teams, the SEC will add teams.

I think at least the Texas public universities have to be, per state legislature having them play each other each year (raises money for all the schools and the state). Feasibly, Texas and OU could still very much manage scheduling each other the same way that UF and FSU or GT and UGA currently do

I agree with the second part (mainly b/c the SEC commish said we would if they did lol :) )

what happens to the Big East?

that's the conference that was originally most likely to get absorbed or fall apart through the big 10 moves

though they could also just end up adding some small teams (however actually, if the Big East were to fall apart via absorbtion, that would displace Notre Dame)

I agreed with leaving the SEC alone until the recent talk of the PAC 10 picking up 6 from the Big 12 or even merging with the Big 12. I don't believe the SEC could sit by and do nothing in these scenarios. We would need to pick up 2 big schools and at least 2 more contributors if that's the case. Either 4 from this list would work well: Miami, FSU, Virginia Tech, Pittsburgh, Georgia Tech (not a fan of), Virginia, North Carolina, or even Oklahoma.

very much agree with this post, and that list

the conference will expand, but the powers that be have already decided not to be the ones that rush into this with the first move

I think MU is a member of the AAU (surprised me too)

huh, did not know that

the main reason the conference schools all really do want them is that mizzou makes the cities of St Louis and Kansas City regional to the big 10 (and thus 7x as much money per house)

Last edited:
With all the recent talk don't expect the SEC to sit back and wait. I know some people like the SEC the way it is, but we will be going to a 16-team league if the rumors gain enough momentum -- a little pre-emptive strike if you will.

From a logistical standpoint four teams make sense: Georgia Tech, Clemson, Florida St., and Miami, although it would be nice -- as a couple of people have mentioned -- to go in and steal Oklahoma and Texas. Imagine adding OU and TX in the west and Florida St. and Miami in the east.

Talk about reigning supreme!

we're going to, but our commish said we wont be the ones to rush in for the first move

logistically those four make sense. Again, I'm not sure that you can do just a Texas-OU addition b/c I think state law ties texas to playing A&M and Tech yearly (to get all the schools money)

Last edited:

the city of miami is also very populace and has alot of viewers...which equals more conference revenue

:mad:
I hate to say it, but most of my aggie brethren are screaming SEC and leave our nemesis.

Would you ever believe that Auburn and Alabama would split? How about Georgia never playing Florida again? What school in their right mind would join the SEC, and then schedule a team like Texas in out of conference play? Good luck landing a bowl after that gauntlet.

We already have plenty of history with LSU and Arkie.. I think the pull of the Big10 and Pac10 Cash as well as academics is very large though, and the pac10 is going to let us keep the scrubs (not just weighing football). That will circumvent the politics issue.

College football is about to be flipped upside down across the whole country.

you could just play texas as an OOC game each season the same way UF&FSU and UGA&GT do, if that scenario were to happen

Instead of expanding east, I would say let's try going west: take Utexas, TAMU, OU, OKstate to the SEC west and push Fama and AU to the SEC East.

My reasoning:

1. TX and OK will be great great pickups for SEC, adding those two states to SEC territory will solidify the eternal dominance of SEC over everybody else. Adding those 4 schools will benefit SEC much more than adding schools such as: Clemson, VT or GT etc. in terms of revenue, national exposure, recruiting, etc.

2. It appears to me that ACC is not going to break down any time soon, so the possibility of grabbing Clemson, VT, GT, FSU, NC etc is really up in the air.

3. The state of TX and OK is geographically, traditionally, and ideologically closer to the traditional South than hippies from the West. Brothers from TX fought with us side by side against the devils from the East, North, and West. PAC-(1+9) may push hard for those schools from TX and OK, but I really think SEC is also in a good position to swing those 4 schools in our way.

The biggest problem will be that SEC is trying to ride on the tide we are on right now and refuse to look at the potential opportunities that will benefit SEC in the long run.

28310_804404529950_23932973_43629332_6361812_n.jpg

pulled this from another site.... thoughts?

thug U? yea like 20 years ago...you want thug U go to florida..these young men work hard down here and randy has changed the culture of thug U..miami will be very good soon ...no homer

thug U? yea like 20 years ago...you want thug U go to florida..these young men work hard down here and randy has changed the culture of thug U..miami will be very good soon ...no homer

You're right. Its not like they've had a sideline clearing brawl recently. Oh wait.

You're right. Its not like they've had a sideline clearing brawl recently. Oh wait.

touche..i forgot about that..

but the point is..this team is not gonna pull that crap with randy..:dance2:

If and when we do expand. If the Big 12 falls apart. why not go get kansas state and kansas. We need basketball schools to help with that part. This i if we can not go to OU or texas or those likes. that chart put them in the the mountain west. I think that would be good for our basketball aspect since we have not fared to well in that area.

If and when we do expand. If the Big 12 falls apart. why not go get kansas state and kansas. We need basketball schools to help with that part. This i if we can not go to OU or texas or those likes. that chart put them in the the mountain west. I think that would be good for our basketball aspect since we have not fared to well in that area.

I would propose going after duke and unc as well. we are fairly well set on the football front. might as well be the premier bball conference as well. would expand us into north carolina markets and into the midwest. I don't think the SEC has to just go after football schools if this all plays out.

edit: realize that duke and unc are not very likely to leave the acc

Last edited:
the city of miami is also very populace and has alot of viewers...which equals more conference revenue

Miami's also not really thug U anymore- though I'm still not a fan.

The one problem is that the city of Miami fan-base sucks. There may be a lot of people in the area, but they only support their teams (outside of the Dolphins) when they're doing really well. Memphis sucks pretty bad in that way too, but Miami has traditionally made us look like K-ville by comparison.

Still, they would be a natural addition, and I'd bet getting either them or FSU would lead almost automatically into getting the other.

I don't think Texas or A&M is coming, much less TTech, and not just because of the requirement to play each other. If we're moving westward, Missouri is probably the most likely mark- I don't see OK coming either, and that pretty much limits the field. The only other likely additions I can think of would be Louisiana Tech and- if their ready & willing to move up yet- 1AA dominator McNeese State. I just don't think we've got a realistic shot at anybody else west of the river unless Texas' legislature suspends the scheduling requirement.

won't happen (honestly too far away for some of the teams to be traveling yearly) and - even with the national recognition KU has - word is it's just not really worth it overall revenue wise....and I have no idea what KSU brings to the table

even Mizzou for us would have been somewhat of a stretch b/c of the distance...though honestly, if they were ever given the chance I think it would end pretty well if the SEC were able to lock up the St Louis and Kansas City markets as their own

Last edited:

VN Store

Back