SEC Expansion (merged)

There media markets in Texas.

Bingo. Having the new markets in Texas outweigh much of the competition angle of expansion.

The SEC doesn't need to add any new powerhouse teams in football. We are still the best even when Texas and OU go to the Pac-10. What we need are new markets. Adding an A&M and Baylor would open the SEC up to the fertile recruiting ground that is Texas and also give us new markets like Dallas/Ft.Worth, Houston, etc.

Bingo. Having the new markets in Texas outweigh much of the competition angle of expansion.

The SEC doesn't need to add any new powerhouse teams in football. We are still the best even when Texas and OU go to the Pac-10. What we need are new markets. Adding an A&M and Baylor would open the SEC up to the fertile recruiting ground that is Texas and also give us new markets like Dallas/Ft.Worth, Houston, etc.

Tennessee currently makes $17 million a year with the current revenue sharing plan in the SEC (I think).

Question - Will adding Baylor increase that amount or decrease it?

I see no way it increases it.

Tennessee currently makes $17 million a year with the current revenue sharing plan in the SEC (I think).

Question - Will adding Baylor increase that amount or decrease it?

I see no way it increases it.

Well, the increase in revenue would come from a restructured deal with ESPN.

By adding teams in the Texas market we would have many more potential TV viewers. This is what A&M and Baylor would bring.

So, when we add our 4 new teams to the SEC we will re-negotiate the TV deal with ESPN/ABC.

Slive hinted in an interview a couple weeks ago that there is a clause in place in the current contract that should the SEC add or lose teams the deal could be restructured.

The increase in revenue would be the increase of the money from a new ESPN deal.

Texas markets= more viewers. More viewers= better TV contracts. Better TV contracts= more $$$ for each SEC school.

I don't want Baylor in the SEC for the simple fact that my 3 month old son's name is Baylor.

The SEC should lock down Florida and the Carolinas and take advantage of solid exposure in Virginia, Texas, and Mizzou. Getting FSU squeezes (u)Miami and you still get the media market.

So my list would be:
UNC-all of NC. More of SC
A&M-strong Texas presence
FSU-kills the U, Solidifies Miami city as SEC media market- U is a private school.
Va Tech-adds Tidewater, NoVa, and DC
Mizzou- St Louis and KC
OU- OKC and Tulsa
Louisville- rest of KY and southern Indiana and Illinois - southern indeed

I would go NC, Fl, Va, and Tx first, then the others...16 teams.

Oh, and if we kicked out Vandy, there's one more spot!!!
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Last edited:
A&M doesn't bring enough to the table to justify taking Baylor. Heck, I don't know why we'd want A&M very much to begin with.
This^^^

The only reason to bring them in is for leverage against Texas... hoping that may persuade them to come along wit aTm...

The SEC should lock down Florida and the Carolinas and take advantage of solid exposure in Virginia, Texas, and Mizzou. Getting FSU squeezes (u)Miami and you still get the media market.

So my list would be:
FSU-kills the U, Solidifies Miami city as SEC media market- U is a private school.
Mizzou- St Louis and KC
OU- OKC and Tulsa

Oh, and I we kicked out Vandy, there's one more spot!!!

cant kill the U son :machgun::gun:

So my list would be:
Mizzou- St Louis and KC
OU- OKC and Tulsa

In this order, in terms of priority...

1. UNC
2. Okie
3. Clemson
4. Miami/FSU
5. Okie St/aTm

this came from the A&M site....Distance-wise, the SEC makes perfect sense and the PAC 10 makes no sense. Not only will this cost more $$$, Mr. Byrne, it will be extremely difficult on our student athletes in ALL sports.

I know I'm stating the obvious but I wanted to see the distances and thought I would share.

Big XII...Baylor......................100
Big XII...Texas.......................107
SEC.......LSU.........................336
Big XII...Oklahoma State..............357
Big XII...Texas Tech..................426
Big XII...Oklahoma....................435
SEC.......Arkansas....................504
SEC.......Mississippi.................512
SEC.......Mississippi State...........577
SEC.......Alabama.....................633
Big XII...Kansas State................658
Big XII...Kansas......................685
SEC.......Kentucky....................747
Big XII...Missouri....................752
SEC.......Auburn......................754
SEC.......Vanderbilt..................764
Big XII...Nebraska....................806
SEC.......Georgia.....................898
Big XII...Iowa State..................904
SEC.......Florida.....................924
SEC.......Tennessee...................940
Big XII...Colorado....................972
PAC10.....Arizona.....................998
SEC.......South Carolina.............1083
PAC10.....Arizona State..............1103
PAC10.....Southern Cal...............1285
PAC10.....UCLA.......................1496
PAC10.....Stanford...................1842
PAC10.....California.................1856
PAC10.....Washington State...........2077
PAC10.....Washington.................2256
PAC10.....Oregon State...............2266
PAC10.....Oregon.....................2338

So my list would be:
Mizzou- St Louis and KC
OU- OKC and Tulsa

There is so little chance of getting UNC from the ACC that it's a waste of breath even to talk about it. There is zero chance that would ever happen. Also, why kick out Vandy? They make exponentially more money than 3 or 4 other SEC athletic departments. If you want to kick someone out, how bout the Miss schools that are a drain financially on the conference.

Of course the SEC makes more sense. But they are scared. Screw Texas. I would take Oklahoma and A&M.

There is so little chance of getting UNC from the ACC that it's a waste of breath even to talk about it. There is zero chance that would ever happen. Also, why kick out Vandy? They make exponentially more money than 3 or 4 other SEC athletic departments. If you want to kick someone out, how bout the Miss schools that are a drain financially on the conference.

I would think there would be a greater chance if we packaged Duke with UNC to come to the SEC.

Another thread discusses how a top-ranking SEC official has said that adding UNC, Duke, A&M, and Texas were part of Slive's vision for the SEC.

Out of those, only Texas is not in play.

it doesn't matter what slive's "vision" is. I once had a vision of hooking up with kelly kapowski.
The ACC just put together a very competitive tv package, and I bet UNC would care more about staying with NC State than Duke, anyway. I'm telling you, texas is not the only one of those "visions" that is "not in play."

it doesn't matter what slive's "vision" is. I once had a vision of hooking up with kelly kapowski.
The ACC just put together a very competitive tv package, and I bet UNC would care more about staying with NC State than Duke, anyway. I'm telling you, texas is not the only one of those "visions" that is "not in play."

"preppy" has Kelly Kapowski's poo-nanny on lockdown IMO.

VN Store

Back