SEC Expansion (merged)

i'm getting the distinct feeling that texas couldn't care less about A&M.

I can see this...

However I wonder if the idea that A&M was a SEC school it could set itself apart from Texas in recruiting as opposed to being in the same conf. for Texas kids. I.E. A chance for the Texas kids to play for a Texas school in the SEC.

I dunno...sounds interesting but I'm not leaning either way...

It depends on whether or not OU is moving with them. The puke orange faithful will throw a rod if they lose one of their two rivalry games. If OU and A&M both go to the SEC, Texas isn't going to burn two nonconference games with annual rivalries, especially with one of them being a neutral site tilt.

It depends on whether or not OU is moving with them. The puke orange faithful will throw a rod if they lose one of their two rivalry games. If OU and A&M both go to the SEC, Texas isn't going to burn two nonconference games with annual rivalries, especially with one of them being a neutral site tilt.

my thoughts exactly.

Why would the SEC want Texas A&M? Oklahoma I can see, but so far the only ones I see talking about the SEC are A&M fans and to me it's more wishful thinking.

At this point I have the feeling Texas cares only about Texas, not that there's anything wrong with that but the other schools involved seem to want to keep their rivalries and traditions in tact. Texas wants these things to stay intact as well but only on their terms, the other schools involved would be very wise to take that into consideration when making their decisions.

It was stupid of them to hand even more power to Texas by putting it out there they would wait and follow whatever direction Texas took them in.

Orangebloods.com has already reported that OU, TX, OSU, and Tech will join the Pac-10 and will vote officially on that Tuesday with announcement Tues or Wed....Everyone has "info" coming from sources but I really believe the SEC will sit and wait until all the panic is over before invites go out. IMO NO way USCjr and UF would allow Clemson, Canes, Nole into SEC without a fight.

Orangebloods.com has already reported that OU, TX, OSU, and Tech will join the Pac-10 and will vote officially on that Tuesday with announcement Tues or Wed....Everyone has "info" coming from sources but I really believe the SEC will sit and wait until all the panic is over before invites go out. IMO NO way USCjr and UF would allow Clemson, Canes, Nole into SEC without a fight.

Interesting. I agree--I really hope we don't invite CU, UM, FSU, or GT.

If we expand Westward, we need to add at least two teams there, and two teams Eastward (perhaps UNC & Duke).

If we move Westward, the ideal would be Texas A&M and OU. It seems more and more likely OU will go with Texas to the Pac-10.

If that occurs, we should eye either Missouri or....*sigh* Baylor.

Missouri would open new large markets, but Baylor + A&M is the ONLY way we'd consider bringing them on board.

Discussion is that Baylor might side with A&M in helping them escape the clutches of the Longhorns in the Texas legislature. Baylor might want the favor of being included to the SEC--it would all depend if we would take them.

Two Eastern and Two Western additions to the SEC would be ideal, because we could easily split the conference into 4 divisions.

West: LSU, Arkansas, A&M, & OU/Mizzou/Kansas/Baylor
Central: 'Bama, Auburn, Ole Miss, Miss. St.
North: Tennessee, Georgia, Kentucky, Vandy
East: Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina, Duke

Establish yearly rivals and divisional rotations and we're good to go.

That still is only 2 votes. Only need 9 for approval.

All these schools are selling their souls for money. If OU and texas join the Pac 10, it pretty much means that schools like oregon, cal and washington simply will have no chance of winning the pac 10 title anymore. Now, it's certainly possible as the PAC 10 is not top heavy at all--pretty much usc and everybody else. But with USC, texas and ou, and ucla has the potential to be better at football, everybody else will just become bird-cage paper for the heavyweights.

I can't see anyway that the SEC would want Baylor.

And if the Pac-10 gets Texas, TT, Oklahoma, and Okie St., wouldn't they need to find one more? That would leave them with an odd number of teams.

I'd say A&M would be smart to tag along with Texas.

I can't see anyway that the SEC would want Baylor.

And if the Pac-10 gets Texas, TT, Oklahoma, and Okie St., wouldn't they need to find one more? That would leave them with an odd number of teams.

I'd say A&M would be smart to tag along with Texas.

The only way we'd take Baylor is if we had to take them in a package deal with A&M.

Apparently the word is that Texas and TT are threatening to blackball A&M if they entertain joining a different conference.

No matter what, one Texas school will be left out of the Pac-10 invites. The Texas legislature wants Texas schools to stay together. An A&M+Baylor package deal may be appealing to the Texas legislature and might let that occur.

In the case that we take A&M + Baylor, the Pac-10 would probably add Utah, who have been entertaining joining the Pac-10 for some time according to some people.

Of course, most of this is conjecture.

Man, the texas people really have some beef with the SEc eh?

I was following Chip Brown from Orange Bloods since he had all the scoop so far. That led me to the twitter account of the owner/starter of Orange Bloods, who also apparently has a radio station. He view of the SEC seems a lot different than what I perceive as a reality. I a sure the truth is somewhere in the middle. But, seriously, I feel like the guy is on that thinks the SEC is about to become a redheaded step child.

@gkketch if anyone wants to see it.

The only way we'd take Baylor is if we had to take them in a package deal with A&M.
Apparently the word is that Texas and TT are threatening to blackball A&M if they entertain joining a different conference.

No matter what, one Texas school will be left out of the Pac-10 invites. The Texas legislature wants Texas schools to stay together. An A&M+Baylor package deal may be appealing to the Texas legislature and might let that occur.

In the case that we take A&M + Baylor, the Pac-10 would probably add Utah, who have been entertaining joining the Pac-10 for some time according to some people.

Of course, most of this is conjecture.

But to me the SEC would only take A&M if it was just A&M and not strings attached with Baylor. I really see nothing Baylor would bring to the SEC. Football-wise it would be like adding another Vanderbilt.

This was reported on SA this afternoon...haven't seen it anywhere else. Not sure as to the accuracy. Anyone else heard this? In that case, does adding A&M and VT to the SEC make sense?

But to me the SEC would only take A&M if it was just A&M and not strings attached with Baylor. I really see nothing Baylor would bring to the SEC. Football-wise it would be like adding another Vanderbilt.

Baylor has been rather competitive in other sports, though.

They had an Elite 8 basketball team this season, and their Women's team won the National Title.

Of course, they don't add much competition-wise in football to the SEC, but do we REALLY want to add a bunch of other powerhouses to go with our already-powerhouse-stacked SEC?

They would bring in the Texas market along with A&M.

I'm not advocating their inclusion on their own merit--merely on the notion if they were a package deal with A&M.

The ideal would be A&M + OU. The Sooners are going to the Pac-10, so that won't happen.

The next best would be, perhaps A&M + Mizzou. But Missouri may be going to the Big-Ten quite soon.

The next best scenario would be maybe Kansas, but they don't make much geographic sense.

So, an A&M + Baylor addition would still be lucrative, even if less desirable than other possible additions in the West.

Geography is pretty much out the window.

I'd say Kansas/A&M would be more lucrative than A&M/Baylor.

A&M doesn't bring enough to the table to justify taking Baylor. Heck, I don't know why we'd want A&M very much to begin with.

VN Store

Back