SEC Expansion (merged)

ok, i'll take your word on it then.

thoughts on the rest?

All good points.

In the end, I just do not see Texas in the Big10 or as an Independent. I see 3 real options. Stay the same, join the PAC10, or join the SEC.

If the PAC10 does hand out these alleged invites, I do not think that Texas will respond as quickly as they did with the Big10. My feeling is that if the SEC thinks that some of the Big12 teams are going to jump ship to the PAC10 after the invites are handed out, then they will in return invite Texas and Texas A&M to join the SEC.

If the SEC were to go after 4 teams, I think that the other 2 would be from somewhere in the East like FSU, Miami, etc. Reason being that they would look to tap another TV market rather than take another Big12 school that may overlap markets. This would also let you keep the EAST and WEST intact and only have additions instead of having to realign the divisions. I do not see a scenario where Alabama makes it to the East division like some have mentioned.

All good points.

In the end, I just do not see Texas in the Big10 or as an Independent. I see 3 real options. Stay the same, join the PAC10, or join the SEC.

If the PAC10 does hand out these alleged invites, I do not think that Texas will respond as quickly as they did with the Big10. My feeling is that if the SEC thinks that some of the Big12 teams are going to jump ship to the PAC10 after the invites are handed out, then they will in return invite Texas and Texas A&M to join the SEC.

If the SEC were to go after 4 teams, I think that the other 2 would be from somewhere in the East like FSU, Miami, etc. Reason being that they would look to tap another TV market rather than take another Big12 school that may overlap markets. This would also let you keep the EAST and WEST intact and only have additions instead of having to realign the divisions. I do not see a scenario where Alabama makes it to the East division like some have mentioned.

They can go the independent route if they get a network up and running. The word is that one of networks has told Texas that they can give it a setup that will create them their own network that will allow them to make as much or more money than Notre Dame's TV deal. Consider too that Texas makes and insane amount off it's sports ($138 mil in 2008-09, which was still $20 mil more than OSU that same year), and having a "keep all our money" plus "get notre dame sized money from TV deal" would leave them in a pretty good scenario to go independent with what they make.

As for the conferences, another consideration you have to remember that the reality is Texas is pretty much tied by A&M and Tech by state legislature....if the SEC were to offer 4 teams and wanted Texas, those three would all have to be included in the arrangement.

I do too think that Texas hasnt decided anything on where it's going yet, but everyone wants to be the first on board to try to call what's going to happen. Expansion will happen....but it wont be as soon or immediate as everyone seems to suggest by talking about it

Why in the world would we want to keep Mississippi State and Vandy in the conference?

Vanderbilt makes a lot more money than a few other schools in teh conference. MSU and Ole Miss are far and away the weakest links.

Ok I have heard about this exspansion ideal in the SEC. My only question about it is WHY. Why would you want to add anybody else to this conference. The only benfit that it would help would be basketball. Lets be honest the SEC is so far ahead of everybody else in collage football that it would benfit the one who joins more than it would the conference. But it's just my O.

Ok I have heard about this exspansion ideal in the SEC. My only question about it is WHY. Why would you want to add anybody else to this conference. The only benfit that it would help would be basketball. Lets be honest the SEC is so far ahead of everybody else in collage football that it would benfit the one who joins more than it would the conference. But it's just my O.

"expansion"

"benefit"

and

"college"

just looking out for you, man.

The SEC would only take the top tier from the former SWC for the west like Texas A&M, OU etc and teams from the ACC for the east FSU, UM, VT etc. Its all bout what can you do for us. Each party benefits. teams teams that the SEC knows will improve the competetiveness of the conference plus increase the revenue.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Last edited:
If the Big 12 South is kept in tact and the North divided, the Big 12 will reach out to Arkansas and I wouldnt be surprised to see an extension to LSU (although Id be shocked if they would even consider). The only non-Big 6 conference school they would flirt with adding is TCU. absolutley no shot at adding the likes of Utep, Houston, or Tulsa. Iowa State, Kansas and Kansas State would also still likely be in the North.

I wouldnt mind seeing Georgia Tech back in the SEC. I also would like to see a rivalry established with Florida State. it also wouldnt hurt to have FSU in the SEC because the high standards and increased competition in the conference could help kick Florida off the top. No chance UNC could be an SEC school. purely a basketball institution and i cant imagine a lot of revenue being generated from them. couldnt see Miami in the SEC either, for simliar reasons.

Last edited:
Texas can join the SEC only if they agree to stop calling their university UT. That moniker belongs to us.

Last edited:
i also cant see the big Texas schools and Oklahoma moving anywhere. too many culture ties to the region, a good solid source of revenue already, and the traditions/rivalries theyve got going for them. no way they leave for the SEC, let alone the PAC 10. just my two cents.

the reason's quite simple actually, just look below:

$$$$$$$$$$$$

Although 16 team super-conferences might end up in sort of a de facto playoff set-up... whether they be 4 or 8 team divisions. All the BCS would have to do is add the plus-one they've been talking about for a while now, and boom, you've got at least an 8-team playoff.

If the Big 12 South is kept in tact and the North divided, the Big 12 will reach out to Arkansas and I wouldnt be surprised to see an extension to LSU (although Id be shocked if they would even consider). The only non-Big 6 conference school they would flirt with adding is TCU. absolutley no shot at adding the likes of Utep, Houston, or Tulsa. Iowa State, Kansas and Kansas State would also still likely be in the North.

I wouldnt mind seeing Georgia Tech back in the SEC. I also would like to see a rivalry established with Florida State. it also wouldnt hurt to have FSU in the SEC because the high standards and increased competition in the conference could help kick Florida off the top. No chance UNC could be an SEC school. purely a basketball institution and i cant imagine a lot of revenue being generated from them. couldnt see Miami in the SEC either, for simliar reasons.

You are either very young or do not know much about sports in general....GT was already a member of the SEC and should never be extended another invitation...Ever..FSU has been offered TWICE and refused Twice....Miami brings a rich tradition of winning national titles in football and usually has a decent basketball team and would open up that rich south florida recruiting area even more.....Not to mention UF would have a fit over having to play them every year...To say UNC is a basketball only school is pure ridiculous, any school with a overall record of: 647-488-54 is not a basketball only school....In fact they have had some very strong teams over the years and now with Davis as coach they are rebuilding a nice program over there....UT has a good history playing UNC and they would be a nice fit sports wise.

Truley I think we should leave the SEC alone. Texas leaving the big 12 is a good move for themif it takes place

Not sure what will come of the Big XII, but it seems as if Texas will either join the Pac-10 or go independent. Either would be a good choice for them. Still, I can't shake the idea that the Big XII South (minus Baylor) is a package deal wherever they go.

But I can make a 100% guarantee right now that if the Big Ten adds teams, the SEC will add teams.

who would the Big 12 add?? Houston? TCU? Rice? SMU?

If the PAC10 expands its going after Colorado, Utah, BYU, UNLV/Colorado St.

That means your big 12 looks like:
Texas
Texas Agricultural and Manufacturing
Baylor
TCU
Rice
Houston
SMU
Texas Tech
Oklahoma
Oklahoma St.
Kansas
Kansas St.
Iowa St.
plus maybe Boise St.

I don't think there is anyway Texas would prefer that conference lineup to the SEC.

There just isn't anyway the Big 12 could compete with the expansion of the Pac10, BigTen, SEC, ACC

16 team league hypo:

BigTen:

Penn St.
Ohio St.
Indiana
Purdue
Illinois
Northwestern
Michigan
Michigan St.
Wisconsin
Iowa
Minnesota
*Missouri
*Rutgers
*Nebraska
*Notre Dame
*Pitt

SEC:

LSU
Arky
Ole Miss
Miss St.
Bama
Auburn
Kentucky
Vandy
Tennessee
Georgia
South Carolina
Florida
*Texas
*Texas A&M
*Oklahoma
*Florida State

ACC:

BC
Maryland
VT
UVA
UNC
Duke
Wake
NC State
Clemson
GT
Miami
*WVU
*Louisville
*South Florida
*UConn
*Syracuse

Pac 10:

Udub
Wash St.
Oregon
Oregon St.
Cal
Stanford
USC
UCLA
Arizona
Arizona St.
*Colorado
*Utah
*BYU
*UNLV
*Colorado St.
*Hawaii

New Big 12 (14):

baylor
houston
smu
rice
utep
tcu
tulsa
oklahoma st.
iowa st.
kansas
kansas st.
new mexico
Boise st.
wyoming

Conf. USA:

Memphis
Tulane
So. Miss
UCF
East Carolina
Marshall
La. Tech
Troy
FAU
FIU
Ark. St.
Middle Tennessee

**That was fun:crazy:

what happens to the Big East?

I agreed with leaving the SEC alone until the recent talk of the PAC 10 picking up 6 from the Big 12 or even merging with the Big 12. I don't believe the SEC could sit by and do nothing in these scenarios. We would need to pick up 2 big schools and at least 2 more contributors if that's the case. Either 4 from this list would work well: Miami, FSU, Virginia Tech, Pittsburgh, Georgia Tech (not a fan of), Virginia, North Carolina, or even Oklahoma.

I agree with you to an extent, Milo, but I think their hand may be forced (even if the Pac10 would prefer to stay as it is), if the BigTen, SEC, and ACC expand, it seems like they would have to as well just to stay relevant.

I'm sure there are plenty in the BigTen that don't want to add Missouri (who is academically lesser than traditional BigTen teams), but its not going to stop them.

I think MU is a member of the AAU (surprised me too)

Honestly, no. The Big-12 has little profit sharing, correct?

They stand to make BCS bowls out of the MWC and have a good thing going with BYU. If they go to the Big-12 they'll go the way of Baylor.

Honestly, SMU seems like it'd be a good fit in the MWC as well. Vandy should go to C-USA to fill that spot and SEC-E picks up GaTech. That's just what I'd like to see.

I could see the Big 10 going after Vandy with their academic standing. Basketball would be the sports draw, of course.

I think that any conference expansion that would occur would most likely mean the end of the road for the Big East. Just my two cents.

I tend to agree. But they do have a very strong basketball tradition, so they would likely go the way of some of the stronger northeast bball conferences.

1. There is an uneven split of revenues amongst teams and multiple teams can make more $$$ elsewhere (Nebraska, Mizzou, Texas, Texas A&M, OU, etc.)

2. IMO, PAC 10 and Big 10 WILL expand.

3. What do we do?

My opinion,

Add Texas A&M, FSU, OU and maybe Okie State (not sure if OU would come without Okie State....

Divisions:

East - KY, Vandy, Fla, Ga, Aubie, FSU, SC and UT
West - Bama, Ole Miss, Miss St, LSU, Arkie, A&M, OU and OSU.

Read here in Dallas and other Texas rags that A&M and Texas may not be joined at the hip this time. Texas to PAC 10 and A&M to SEC. Aggies fit real well with SEC.

Now let's roll....

With all the recent talk don't expect the SEC to sit back and wait. I know some people like the SEC the way it is, but we will be going to a 16-team league if the rumors gain enough momentum -- a little pre-emptive strike if you will.

From a logistical standpoint four teams make sense: Georgia Tech, Clemson, Florida St., and Miami, although it would be nice -- as a couple of people have mentioned -- to go in and steal Oklahoma and Texas. Imagine adding OU and TX in the west and Florida St. and Miami in the east.

Talk about reigning supreme!

VN Store

Back