Seattle and the Minimum Wage

Again... that is the laziest and easiest thing to do.

Easy = good

It's easier, not lazy, to cut labor costs, maybe kick up the remaining pay "a bit" and squeeze more out of them. I've only been an adult (legally, not mentally) for 18 years and this is the way it is in doing business.

Do more with less. We do it in our homes right? Less power consumption, less food gluttony, less waste..Businesses are no different. And yes labor can be wasteful. I see this every single day.

Yeah, you clearly didn't read a word I said. If you remove taxes and regulation and you find locations in your company to make process improvements, you would likely be able to pay the $14-15/hr without increasing the price.

I know that may be hard for you to either believe or understand, but you have no idea how much of a drag govt actually is on our economy. It has been an incremental process, but it contributes substantially to the final retail price we pay for everything.Then you add in the nonstop money printing/QE and ZIRP, and the average man in America (and really around the world) is getting robbed. Wages are not keeping pace with inflation.

Some where over the rainbow.......

Reactions: 2 people
How would they be able to sell for less? I clearly stated that they would equally benefit from reduced taxes and regulation. If they are able to find a way to reduce prices outside of that, then that is something that is independent of the costs associated with govt.

If they find process improvements that allow them to sell for less, then that is something they should have been doing before the govt regulations/taxes were lifted.

Paying less than $14 to $15 per hour for starters......just sayin.

Minimum wage in 1964 was $1.25... or 5 90% silver quarters. The melt value of those 5 quarters today would be roughly $14. It is not an arbitrary number. It just illustrates how much humanity is being robbed of their labor and wealth by fiat currency and endless central bank money printing.

You cannot be serious with this post.

Reactions: 1 person
Is Seattle reducing taxes?

No they are not, and I havent suggested that they have. In this case, what everyone is talking about is exactly what will happen... the taxes, regulator costs and higher wages will be passed on to the consumer.

I don't think anyone can deny that.

Easy = good

It's easier, not lazy, to cut labor costs, maybe kick up the remaining pay "a bit" and squeeze more out of them. I've only been an adult (legally, not mentally) for 18 years and this is the way it is in doing business.

Do more with less. We do it in our homes right? Less power consumption, less food gluttony, less waste..Businesses are no different. And yes labor can be wasteful. I see this every single day.

And yet you still ignore the main point I'm making. Remove government interference and you are left more money for wages. What I have highlighted above is an example of process improvements that should be done no matter what govt influences are on a business.

And yet you still ignore the main point I'm making. Remove government interference and you are left more money for wages. What I have highlighted above is an example of process improvements that should be done no matter what govt influences are on a business.

Minimum wage is government interference. So, remove that interference and wages drop due to competition. Note that prices along the entire supply chain will also drop, leading to much lower prices at the retail end. So long as there are replacement and substitute goods and services, this also entails an increase in real wealth over time. Booms and busts will occur, but in the long run what we will have is an increasing sawtooth.

Reactions: 2 people

The only way it would work to the liberals liking would be if the govt put earning caps on executive pay and anything over that has to go back into the company/employee pay/benefits/ect.

Outside of that either employees will be cut or prices will go up which is just shifting the burden onto the middle class.

The only way it would work to the liberals liking would be if the govt put earning caps on executive pay and anything over that has to go back into the company/employee pay/benefits/ect.

Outside of that either employees will be cut or prices will go up which is just shifting the burden onto the middle class.

we have been over this. the 1% of that company don't make enough to really change how much the low employee makes. top paid Walmartian $35 million. lets cap that at $5 million. so $30 million to go to 1.4 million employees. each employee gets $21 more a year. whoopee!

Reactions: 1 person

Walmarts prices are already pretty high on alot of things and the quality sucks - I never go there anymore and will actually spend a few bucks more on better quality food and products.

I've noticed that, even when they're winning they're angry. . Wtf is up with that? 😎

Yeah, I don't think the right can talk too much. I think both sides stay angry because apparently that's how everyone is supposed to be all the time.

we have been over this. the 1% of that company don't make enough to really change how much the low employee makes. top paid Walmartian $35 million. lets cap that at $5 million. so $30 million to go to 1.4 million employees. each employee gets $21 more a year. whoopee!

I'm not disagreeing with you.

But I think if given the chance the left would want go much more draconian. Not just ceo pay, but several levels of mgmt. Maybe more significant of a cap too.

VN Store

Back