Seattle and the Minimum Wage

The problem isn't the fact that low wage workers expect to be paid $15/hr. The problem is that the minimum wage has not kept pace with inflation. Adjusted for inflation, a minimum wage worker in 1964 would be making close to or slightly more than $15/hr.

Apparently this is making the rounds in Seattle...

1s3a9d4.jpg

There is a 4th option. They could just vote harder. Why take it out on the servers when the problem starts with the politicians?

The problem isn't the fact that low wage workers expect to be paid $15/hr. The problem is that the minimum wage has not kept pace with inflation. Adjusted for inflation, a minimum wage worker in 1964 would be making close to or slightly more than $15/hr.
Should it have to? My wage increases don't necessarily keep up with inflation. Why should McDonalds be forced to keep up with it?

Should it have to? My wage increases don't necessarily keep up with inflation. Why should McDonalds be forced to keep up with it?
I am not arguing one way or the other. I am just stating facts. The workers do have a point that the wages (if they did keep up with inflation) should be around $15/hr.

Now having said that, should the govt be involved in wage controls? Or for that matter, should the govt be involved in actions that are destroying our currency? A dollar just doesn't go as far as it used to.

I am not arguing one way or the other. I am just stating facts. The workers do have a point that the wages (if they did keep up with inflation) should be around $15/hr.

Now having said that, should the govt be involved in wage controls? Or for that matter, should the govt be involved in actions that are destroying our currency? A dollar just doesn't go as far as it used to.
Just no. The wages are what the market will bear. If McD's has trouble getting fry cooks, they will increase wages and the problem goes away. Same as the Yankees getting relief pitchers, or the VOLS getting an OC.

I agree to an extent. I don't think I have argued against that point. All I said was that a worker's purchasing power today is less than the purchasing power of that same worker 50 years ago.
I would think (hope) that would be an incentive to better one's self and get a better job. I guess the leftist way is to cry about your lot in life and demand that those more fortunate take care of you and your kids.

I would think (hope) that would be an incentive to better one's self and get a better job. I guess the leftist way is to cry about your lot in life and demand that those more fortunate take care of you and your kids.
Wage stagnation and loss of purchasing power isn't just a low wage worker issue or leftist Democrat issue.

VN Store

Back