Seattle and the Minimum Wage

$15 is just some arbitrary number some nut job came up with with literally zero thought about cost of living or financial consequences.

Basic business practice dictates that as costs rise one doesn't seek to absorb them but find avenues to counter them. In these cases it's going to be employees taking the heat either through less hours, less staff, or both. Do more with less!

Seattle is a great example of social justice warriors knee jerk reactions to everything. Chik Fil A is having trouble getting a store open in the Denver airport because a gay city council member is having to investigate the company because of their gay marriage stance. That is absolutely dumbfounding! Chik Fil A doesn't have a gay marriage stance.

Easiest and laziest thing to do is cutting labor costs... that is what the industry standard is and what they teach in business schools apparently. Some business costs are within the employers control, others (like taxes and regulation) are not in their control.

$15 is just some arbitrary number some nut job came up with with literally zero thought about cost of living or financial consequences.

Minimum wage in 1964 was $1.25... or 5 90% silver quarters. The melt value of those 5 quarters today would be roughly $14. It is not an arbitrary number. It just illustrates how much humanity is being robbed of their labor and wealth by fiat currency and endless central bank money printing.

Reactions: 2 people
Easiest and laziest thing to do is cutting labor costs... that is what the industry standard is and what they teach in business schools apparently. Some business costs are within the employers control, others (like taxes and regulation) are not in their control.

Minimum wage in 1964 was $1.25... or 5 90% silver quarters. The melt value of those 5 quarters today would be roughly $14. It is not an arbitrary number. It just illustrates how much humanity is being robbed of their labor and wealth by fiat currency and endless central bank money printing.

It's an absolutely arbitrary number.

Reactions: 3 people

I know you read this somewhere on some liberal site like Huffpo, but trying to justify minimum wage by referencing the value of melted coins against their value today is beneath even you. Have you even considered some minimum wage jobs are overpaid considering the work that is required? Do you think a pimply faced kid deserves the current minimum to ask you if you want fries?

I know you read this somewhere on some liberal site like Huffpo, but trying to justify minimum wage by referencing the value of melted coins against their value today is beneath even you. Have you even considered some minimum wage jobs are overpaid considering the work that is required? Do you think a pimply faced kid deserves the current minimum to ask you if you want fries?

I'm sure that taxes, regulations (something the employer can't control) and possibly improvements in company processes (something they could control) would probably allow for $14-15/hr.

If they were able to do 50+ years ago, that should tell you that there must be something else going on besides wages going up.

And no, I didn't get this from a liberal source. I'm not a communist.

I'm sure that taxes, regulations (something the employer can't control) and possibly improvements in company processes (something they could control) would probably allow for $14-15/hr.

If they were able to do 50+ years ago, that should tell you that there must be something else going on besides wages going up.

And no, I didn't get this from a liberal source. I'm not a communist.

So naive to think minimum wages can be raised without inflation.

What is the point of raising minimum wages if it will in turn raise the cost of goods & services?

So naive to think minimum wages can be raised without inflation.

What is the point of raising minimum wages if it will in turn raise the cost of goods & services?

You didn't read a word I said. I clearly stated that if you had reduced taxes and regulation and improved company processes that you would likely be able to have $14-15/hr pay rates.

You didn't read a word I said. I clearly stated that if you had reduced taxes and regulation and improved company processes that you would likely be able to have $14-15/hr pay rates.

IMO you haven't thought about this in very much detail.

Think about all of the jobs that are currently in the range between minimum wage and $15/hr.

Do you think there will be zero effect on those wages? And subsequently all wages?

How can you pay minimum wage of $15/hr and pay the supervisors the same as what they currently make? Answer - you can't. All wages would increase.

As wages increase so do the cost of goods sold.

Utopia doesn't exist.

Reactions: 1 person
Went to the Mexican phone company today for a quick lunch. An hour later we were leaving. All the employees had called in sick. They had the stupidest woman in the store on the register. After this experience I fully believe minimum wage should be eliminated. Taco Bell is literally the only fast food I eat. Done with them.

Last edited:

You cut costs where you can and it literally always starts with whats on payroll. You can choose to lower the quality of your product but that probably bites you in the ass and your business suffers. The endgame of having a business is to turn a profit. People seem to confuse businesses with charities..

And $15 an hour was absolutely pulled from some asshats ass.

Most businesses aren't run by huge corporations. Most business owners aren't using $100 bills to light their cigars while they sit on their yachts..

Reactions: 1 person
IMO you haven't thought about this in very much detail.

Think about all of the jobs that are currently in the range between minimum wage and $15/hr.

Do you think there will be zero effect on those wages? And subsequently all wages?

How can you pay minimum wage of $15/hr and pay the supervisors the same as what they currently make? Answer - you can't. All wages would increase.

As wages increase so do the cost of goods sold.

Utopia doesn't exist.

Yeah, you clearly didn't read a word I said. If you remove taxes and regulation and you find locations in your company to make process improvements, you would likely be able to pay the $14-15/hr without increasing the price.

I know that may be hard for you to either believe or understand, but you have no idea how much of a drag govt actually is on our economy. It has been an incremental process, but it contributes substantially to the final retail price we pay for everything.Then you add in the nonstop money printing/QE and ZIRP, and the average man in America (and really around the world) is getting robbed. Wages are not keeping pace with inflation.

You cut costs where you can and it literally always starts with whats on payroll. You can choose to lower the quality of your product but that probably bites you in the ass and your business suffers. The endgame of having a business is to turn a profit. People seem to confuse businesses with charities..

And $15 an hour was absolutely pulled from some asshats ass.

Most businesses aren't run by huge corporations. Most business owners aren't using $100 bills to light their cigars while they sit on their yachts..

Again... that is the laziest and easiest thing to do.

Yeah, you clearly didn't read a word I said. If you remove taxes and regulation and you find locations in your company to make process improvements, you would likely be able to pay the $14-15/hr without increasing the price.

I know that may be hard for you to either believe or understand, but you have no idea how much of a drag govt actually is on our economy. It has been an incremental process, but it contributes substantially to the final retail price we pay for everything.Then you add in the nonstop money printing/QE and ZIRP, and the average man in America (and really around the world) is getting robbed. Wages are not keeping pace with inflation.

So explain to me how the wages for jobs that currently pay more than minimum wage won't be affected.

If a large number of people have the choice between either borrowing money to get an associates/bachelors degree or taking a minimum wage job without any debt, which do you think they are more likely to choose?

Are you familiar with the phrase "path of least resistance"? It doesn't apply only to electricity. If the wages for skilled workers and professional jobs didn't also increase then young people would not pursue those careers.

I understand and agree that government regulations are a huge drain on business - Obamacare is a great example of this - massive entitlement funded by businesses and their employees.

Not sure why you can't agree that raising the minimum wage would create a ripple effect for all Americans.

If any of you owned a business you'd understand the costs associated with running one.
My wife and I had 3 businesses for several years, now 2. She still works in one business, and I work some in the other. It has gotten more expensive to run a business over the years, and profit levels have shrunk.

I understand and agree that government regulations are a huge drain on business - Obamacare is a great example of this - massive entitlement funded by businesses and their employees.

Not sure why you can't agree that raising the minimum wage would create a ripple effect for all Americans.
It would create a ripple effect. I never said it wouldn't.

The problem is that wages have not kept pace with inflation and a correction (for all wages) is needed.

It would create a ripple effect. I never said it wouldn't.

The problem is that wages have not kept pace with inflation and a correction (for all wages) is needed.

I see no scenario where raising minimum wage would correct the current norm - if anything it would simply increase inflation.

Yet, your competition would pay less, sell for less, and you'd be out of the market. Thus, everyone you paid more would be unemployed.

Yet, your competition would pay less, sell for less, and you'd be out of the market. Thus, everyone you paid more would be unemployed.

How would they be able to sell for less? I clearly stated that they would equally benefit from reduced taxes and regulation. If they are able to find a way to reduce prices outside of that, then that is something that is independent of the costs associated with govt.

If they find process improvements that allow them to sell for less, then that is something they should have been doing before the govt regulations/taxes were lifted.

How would they be able to sell for less? I clearly stated that they would equally benefit from reduced taxes and regulation. If they are able to find a way to reduce prices outside of that, then that is something that is independent of the costs associated with govt.

If they find process improvements that allow them to sell for less, then that is something they should have been doing before the govt regulations/taxes were lifted.

Is Seattle reducing taxes?

VN Store

Back