Saftety Stephen Griffin leaving the program (and Gavin Bryant)

I'm pretty sure Larry and others have posted data showing that everyone does NOT have attrition "like this". Jones' attrition has been high.

It would also be interesting if anyone had a quality of attrition measure. Regardless of the reason he left, Hurd is extremely talented and made strong contributions to the team. That's not like losing someone whose hope is to make the scout team. Same for P Wms and others.

Iirc, about half have been 4 stars or higher.

Reactions: 1 person
Iirc, about half have been 4 stars or higher.

stars don't matter. even Nick Saban has to develop all those 5 stars. All players have to be developed. Very few can come in the SEC and play without development.

So if a player can't be developed (his fault or staff fault) no loss when they leave. So one has to determine, was the kid which left developed to a 4 star or 5 star level?

a 3 star player defined by Rivals should be a top 750 player in the country coming out of high school. He should have pro potential and make an impact on a college team.

Griffin and Bryant were 3 stars by Rivals. So the question is, did they perform at that level at Tennessee? If not, was it a development issue or evaluation issue or both?

Neither performed at a 3 star level IMO

Reactions: 3 people
stars don't matter. even Nick Saban has to develop all those 5 stars. All players have to be developed. Very few can come in the SEC and play without development.

So if a player can't be developed (his fault or staff fault) no loss when they leave. So one has to determine, was the kid which left developed to a 4 star or 5 star level?

a 3 star player defined by Rivals should be a top 750 player in the country coming out of high school. He should have pro potential and make an impact on a college team.

Griffin and Bryant were 3 stars by Rivals. So the question is, did they perform at that level at Tennessee? If not, was it a development issue or evaluation issue or both?

Neither performed at a 3 star level IMO

Simple point was, when responding to a specific question, half the kids we've lost weren't lowly rated, 2/3 stars or walkons not expected at some point to make strong contributions/likely be recruited over. They were already considered 4 and 5 star talent, regardless how they were developed once they got on campus. We know Jones' track record of developing his best talent to this point has been spotty at best.

Last edited:
Dang Larry you probably just caused 27 suicides. 😈😎
Reality is your friend volnation.
Go big Orange win em all.....

112 - 27 equal 85... including players that have graduated or left early for the NFL we have had 32 total players leave out of the last 4 classes, 2014-17, just 5 over what was required to happen..

think in those terms and it is not so bad

Having an annual limit of 25, while having an overall roster limit set at 85 encourages attrition and is not in the best interest of student-athletes.

Fixing it where initial counters that fail to qualify count against that 25 limit and take up a spot that could be awarded to another kid is also not in the best interest of student-athletes either.

And I can't see what purpose either rule serves.

Last edited:
With Abernathy out this spring and Griffin now gone, I fully expect Warrior to seize control of one of the safety spots.....the others can vie for the other safety spot next to him, but Warrior needs to anchor the back end of our defense....we desperately need his athletic ability back there.

He's going to be a special player

Still Not-My-Coach, eh?

He's the UT HC. I am a UT fan. It is for that reason my desire for him to be everything some of you believe him to be. I would like nothing more than for him to turn the corner, become wildly successful, and win championships for UT.

BUT... if you are asking if I have faith in him... the answer is NO. He has not earned it. In fact, he took a MAJOR step backward last fall when a team that should have be a real contender to win the SEC was once again trampled by Bama and beaten by the worst two teams in the conference with the East and Sugar Bowl on the line.

I know all of the excuses. But the bottom line is that after 4 years Jones owns it. He owns the depth. He owns the S&C. He owns the player development. He owns the player rotation. He owns it all.

The first few years of a new coach usually has the highest attrition. Saban's first 3 years at Bama was close to 40%

I hope you are right but the down side of that is that Jones' first couple of full classes were his best in terms of landing blue chip players. The last two haven't been as good or maybe as deep with SEC caliber players.... so attrition may be going down along with the quality of players on the roster.

That still doesn't yield the kind of talented depth needed to win in the SEC... and especially with a coach who tends to be average if not worse on game day.

Stars don't matter... but Jones was declared a great recruiter when he got them... Kind of inconsistent.

But stars kind of do matter in as much as they are a reflection of the talent you're getting on average. I don't think you are trying to argue that the development path for a guy with more talent isn't shorter and easier than one with less talent. But that is an implication of your comment above.

No loss? There is opportunity costs when you invest a scholarship and time into a guy who doesn't become a contributor regardless of his rating.... but especially if the recruiting evaluations of raw talent were legit.

I Remember when Bryant came out,kid could lay the hammer..Sucks he never reached his full potential here.Best of luck to the kid.

VN Store

Back