Saftety Stephen Griffin leaving the program (and Gavin Bryant)

Hate to see Griffin leave, but the Vols really need more DB's like Warrior.....Warrior appears to be the one player with the closing speed required to play at the next level....

The Vols don't have enough Warriors, do they?:huh:

Reactions: 1 person
It can't be that hard to figure out. He got cut to make room for the new guys.

It's dirty to "let someone go" at the end of their shift.

Dirty but necessary. If a kid doesn't hold his end up, then they need to be let go. It's a business and kids know that or st least they should. Nothing is stopping any of them from getting an education, now he has to pay for half of it or move on.

Actually it's called attrition. And, attrition that is killing depth. Did UT have depth issues last year? Yup

Agree...is what it is, but would like to know how our attrition stacks up w/ SEC peers over last 2-3 years. It certainly feels like we've had more than other rivals, which, during first couple years was OK.

We must have that two deep depth, or we're going to be running on fumes every year, and one of those late season games is going to bite us like LY.

To me, has to do with: poor evaluation during recruiting, or over sold playing time, or just didn't develop. That we've had so many makes me think it falls more to flawed evaluation during recruiting, where we have high expectation on the field, but they just can't get there.

Reactions: 1 person
Agree...is what it is, but would like to know how our attrition stacks up w/ SEC peers over last 2-3 years. It certainly feels like we've had more than other rivals, which, during first couple years was OK.

We must have that two deep depth, or we're going to be running on fumes every year, and one of those late season games is going to bite us like LY.

To me, has to do with: poor evaluation during recruiting, or over sold playing time, or just didn't develop. That we've had so many makes me think it falls more to flawed evaluation during recruiting, where we have high expectation on the field, but they just can't get there.

50% of all recruiting classes are career back ups or non factors

Reactions: 2 people
THIS is huge as he provides UPPER classmen depth......you don't want TRUE freshmen as your depth as we know Butch will make all the excuses if he has to play True freshmen

I agree, I would much rather have an experienced player be the back up than a 3* freshman that can be potentially recruited over.

Butch is consistently watching his behind though, and this is the safer play for the long run.

I believe that attrition has been higher under CBJ than our rival programs. It's hard to say exactly why. As you mentioned, early in CBJs tenure it made more sense - less now.

You may be on to something with regard the evaluation process. Jones' "profile" may be changing. It seems like he's charmed by the old school, tough, big-hearted players. That's great, I love them too, but in the SEC there is a physical ability minimum unlike most other conferences.

The assistant coaching changes also contribute to the attrition, and Jones has had quite a few. One guy's golden child may be the next guy's dog. Interpersonal relationships always matter. Maybe they shouldn't, but they do.

While he has been here a while, his program hasn't been completely stable. If he can improve enough to keep his job and keep the core staff together for a few years, attrition should slow.

I was wondering when we would get to, it's all Butch's and the coaches fault! Certainly the players have no role in this..

Reactions: 3 people
Cue multiple freak outs over 2 guys that couldn't even see the field with all of the injuries we had last year.

Reactions: 8 people
Dang it. I had high hopes for him after his FR season. Thought he was impactful on ST. But, he kinda disappeared (with some others) in that dismal LB corps we played with last season. So, I guess if your not rising to the top in that situation, your toast when everyone gets healthy.

I guess that gets us to 85 now then. Right?

right.

we signed 112 players in the last 4 classes. So by default 24% of the signees by Jones in the last 4 years had t leave early to get to 85 this fall. Plus your always going to have more leave.

One should always view every signing class with the thoughts that 40% of those signees will leave prior to using their eligibility up.. and probably 75% of the class will never meet your expectations for them. I stopped having expectations for signees over twenty years ago. Realized most would not get where I wanted them to

Reactions: 10 people
Dirty but necessary. If a kid doesn't hold his end up, then they need to be let go. It's a business and kids know that or st least they should. Nothing is stopping any of them from getting an education, now he has to pay for half of it or move on.

They could have let them go thur spring camp and then told them. At least now they can take spring off to put some thought in their decisions.

If they can't get another P5 offer, transfer to UTC and finish their degrees, while playing a game they probably still love.

Good luck fellas. Thanks for all that you gave.

I don't know the daily grind of all our safeties. But, I agree that Nigel Warrior played with a strong athleticism and swagger last season as a learning true freshman. It reminded me of players like Demetrius Morley, Carl Pickens, Dwayne Goodrich, Deion Grant and Eric Berry when they stepped foot into the defensive backfield for the first time at UT. Maybe you call it the "it" factor or whatever. But, I think, its just a confidence based on ability. Warrior has it.

Placing him in "high cotton" aren't you?? Hope he can handle the load you are placing on him. I will say the "it" factor is there.

VN Store

Back