Saftety Stephen Griffin leaving the program (and Gavin Bryant)

right.

we signed 112 players in the last 4 classes. So by default 24% of the signees by Jones in the last 4 years had t leave early to get to 85 this fall. Plus your always going to have more leave.

One should always view every signing class with the thoughts that 40% of those signees will leave prior to using their eligibility up.. and probably 75% of the class will never meet your expectations for them. I stopped having expectations for signees over twenty years ago. Realized most would not get where I wanted them to

Just wondering, do Bama, Clemson, and others "at the top" fall in these % figures?

Reactions: 1 person
That wasn't sarcasm. That was calling crap crap. Like hiring an AD causes attrition. Somebody desperately needs a laxative.

He was being sarcastic. Clearly. I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt by just assuming you didn't get it.

Actually, he saw the field during the back end of the season last year. The reason I remember is because he had a beautiful pass break up in the end zone and I had to look his number up on the depth chart. I can't remember who it was against to save my life...

I think a lot of you are wrong. He would have contributed. I'm pretty sure it's the same kid that Doug Mathews raved about, but always mentioned he couldn't quite put it all together. That and a lot of injuries. Maybe he would have if he stayed.

I'm sorry to see him go. But, goodluck to him wherever he ends up.

He was being sarcastic. Clearly. I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt by just assuming you didn't get it.

Noy so fast.

Didn't he post that would happen when Currie was hired? Or was it someone else?

I thought the poster said it would happen after Currie started rather than after he was hired?

I was wondering when we would get to, it's all Butch's and the coaches fault! Certainly the players have no role in this..

Let me explain my post in case you couldn't understand it, because I'm generally a Butch supporter, or at worst, neutral...IF (IF because I don't have data on attrition, just feeling), over a period of time, we have a larger attrition rate than our top level peers, AND top level winning doesn't come, then I'd say that "something's" trending, which isn't necessarily pointing to championships.

For example, high attrition at Bama isn't necessarily bad, because they've got the next 5* behind the guy that left. If we have 3*'s that we think are "5* diamonds in the rough", and sell them on that...when they don't develop into that solid contributor, then I'd say there is a disconnect in ability or development, which, when there's this many, means we missed the evaluations or didn't develop...both of which are on the coaches. The problem is, as a whole, our back-fills on departures aren't 4 and 5 star performers...at least up to this point.

Cue multiple freak outs over 2 guys that couldn't even see the field with all of the injuries we had last year.

Don't know that anyone's freaking out. But, he played in 19 games for his freshman and soph years, though only one start, which means he played in 19 games before the guy behind him on the roster, who now slides up the roster.

I think the concern is more about if these developmental players continue to leave, then they never get the chance to become a solid upperclassman contributor like Colton Jumper. If Colton left after 2015 season, I think most would have said "no big deal"...but would say different after a very solid 2016.

I believe that attrition has been higher under CBJ than our rival programs. It's hard to say exactly why. As you mentioned, early in CBJs tenure it made more sense - less now.

You may be on to something with regard the evaluation process. Jones' "profile" may be changing. It seems like he's charmed by the old school, tough, big-hearted players. That's great, I love them too, but in the SEC there is a physical ability minimum unlike most other conferences.

The assistant coaching changes also contribute to the attrition, and Jones has had quite a few. One guy's golden child may be the next guy's dog. Interpersonal relationships always matter. Maybe they shouldn't, but they do.

While he has been here a while, his program hasn't been completely stable. If he can improve enough to keep his job and keep the core staff together for a few years, attrition should slow.
People believe such things because you're only paying attention or really care about US instead of said rival programs.. trust me every "rival" program that had a disappointing year is having these same discussions because this same attrition is happening right now at all those other schools including ones like Bama.

The weeks before during and after spring and fall practice are the times when guys either find their way to the door or get shown it. We are over the 85 limit so someone has to go...these guys will likely get playing time somewhere else and its best they do it now than midseason because that is not good for the team or the kid. Neither of these guys was even in the 2 deep but both have at some point shown promise so it only makes sense.

Just wondering, do Bama, Clemson, and others "at the top" fall in these % figures?

Most of those numbers turn out to be accurate across most power 5 schools.

Alabama signed 25 players in 2013 and 12 have already left the program. Not including any that left early for the NFL which there were 3.

I have these records since the 2002 signing classes for power 5 schools.

In the last 6 years these are the percentages for the top SEC schools:

Alabama 25%
Arkansas 30%
Auburn 29%
Florida 28%
Georgia 30%
LSU 26%
Ole Miss 24%
South Carolina 37%
Tennessee 38%
Texas A&M 34%

these are the percentages for them from 2002 through 2016 class

Alabama 38%
Arkansas 39%
Auburn 45%
Florida 36%
Georgia 34%
LSU 36%
Ole Miss 40%
South Carolina 43%
Tennessee 43%

Let me explain my post in case you couldn't understand it, because I'm generally a Butch supporter, or at worst, neutral...IF (IF because I don't have data on attrition, just feeling), over a period of time, we have a larger attrition rate than our top level peers, AND top level winning doesn't come, then I'd say that "something's" trending, which isn't necessarily pointing to championships.

For example, high attrition at Bama isn't necessarily bad, because they've got the next 5* behind the guy that left. If we have 3*'s that we think are "5* diamonds in the rough", and sell them on that...when they don't develop into that solid contributor, then I'd say there is a disconnect in ability or development, which, when there's this many, means we missed the evaluations or didn't develop...both of which are on the coaches. The problem is, as a whole, our back-fills on departures aren't 4 and 5 star performers...at least up to this point.

when you have 4 head football coaches within a 6 year period your going to have a lot of attrition. After Kiffin left, 19 of the 24 players he signed left. That is a massive anomaly by a coach leaving after one year. It will distort the overall numbers for sometime.

Reactions: 3 people

You can get rid of that "if." Every school has attrition like this because every school signs more than 20 kids a year and redshirts more than 1 of those. You only get to keep 85 at a time so something has to give. Someone posted attrition rates for SEC schools a few posts back.

With Abernathy out this spring and Griffin now gone, I fully expect Warrior to seize control of one of the safety spots.....the others can vie for the other safety spot next to him, but Warrior needs to anchor the back end of our defense....we desperately need his athletic ability back there.

Him... and Byrd.

It can't be that hard to figure out. He got cut to make room for the new guys.

It's dirty to "let someone go" at the end of their shift.

Larry said that Murphy has work to do to get in and that others would probably leave. Knowing that... there is no good reason to cut anyone until you know who you're going to lose.

You can get rid of that "if." Every school has attrition like this because every school signs more than 20 kids a year and redshirts more than 1 of those. You only get to keep 85 at a time so something has to give. Someone posted attrition rates for SEC schools a few posts back.

I'm pretty sure Larry and others have posted data showing that everyone does NOT have attrition "like this". Jones' attrition has been high.

It would also be interesting if anyone had a quality of attrition measure. Regardless of the reason he left, Hurd is extremely talented and made strong contributions to the team. That's not like losing someone whose hope is to make the scout team. Same for P Wms and others.

I'm pretty sure Larry and others have posted data showing that everyone does NOT have attrition "like this". Jones' attrition has been high.

It would also be interesting if anyone had a quality of attrition measure. Regardless of the reason he left, Hurd is extremely talented and made strong contributions to the team. That's not like losing someone whose hope is to make the scout team. Same for P Wms and others.

Still Not-My-Coach, eh?

Reactions: 6 people

The first few years of a new coach usually has the highest attrition. Saban's first 3 years at Bama was close to 40%

right.

we signed 112 players in the last 4 classes. So by default 24% of the signees by Jones in the last 4 years had t leave early to get to 85 this fall. Plus your always going to have more leave.

One should always view every signing class with the thoughts that 40% of those signees will leave prior to using their eligibility up.. and probably 75% of the class will never meet your expectations for them. I stopped having expectations for signees over twenty years ago. Realized most would not get where I wanted them to

Dang Larry you probably just caused 27 suicides. 😈😎
Reality is your friend volnation.
Go big Orange win em all.....

Larry said that Murphy has work to do to get in and that others would probably leave. Knowing that... there is no good reason to cut anyone until you know who you're going to lose.

You make the move before spring when a guy's not working out. Don't let him go thru the workouts if you know he needs to go.

Reactions: 3 people
You make the move before spring when a guy's not working out. Don't let him go thru the workouts if you know he needs to go.

we are not processing people. people are leaving for better opportunities. They can tell where they stand and chose better paths..

Reactions: 5 people

VN Store

Back