Sabanization

Luck didn't really have anything to do with it.

They were on him for a 5 months and backed up a Brinks truck to his front door. They also made it very clear his budget was all but limitless once he got on campus.

That's not luck, that's making a commitment to a proven coach.

Unrealistic. We have to accept that coaches dream of spending their careers in Tuscaloosa and only WAC losers would want to coach in Knoxville.

Dickey did more for UT coaching and as the AD than many butt hurt fans give him credit. The thing with Dickey that hurt him was he only cared about the football program and really didn't concern himself with our other sports. Name a football coach that contributed more to our traditions than Dickey. The power T on the helmets, the checkerboard endzones and the band forming the T for the players to run thru were all the traditions that Dickey started coaching here in 6 years.

Yes, MH made AD Dickey look awesomer than he actually was too.

And was notably unstable, had difficulty getting along with his boss, apparently lost his players in Oakland, was associated with the Bush mess,...

There were ALOT of reasons not to hire Kiffin. One of them came to fruition with UT narrowly avoiding some suffering.

I know what you're talking about but we suffered anyway. Hopefully for only 2 years.

So hiring a NC caliber coach wasn't a big deal, just the fact Tennessee hired an alum was? Right....

Disagree with that, but the staff he built were all big names in their own right with the exception of Reaves.

And you base that on what? Him coaching with the weasel that bolted for Seattle? CDD coached with Saban and he has 3? Does that make CDD a NC caliber coach? Am half way paying attention to the thread, apologies if I am not reading your post correctly.

:eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol:

Oh heck, you are right, we had two of those.....

Which coach did UT hire that had a BCS title under his belt? If you're referring to Fulmer, he didn't have that on his resume when he took over.

You were responding to someone saying that Tennessee should have made the effort to hire a proven commodity. Referring to Fulmer is avoiding the subject.

Call me bitter but I can't bring myself to open and read this article about Saban. Dude Is a lying weezle. Just can't stomach hearing anything positive about him.

Which coach did UT hire that had a BCS title under his belt? If you're referring to Fulmer, he didn't have that on his resume when he took over.

You were responding to someone saying that Tennessee should have made the effort to hire a proven commodity. Referring to Fulmer is avoiding the subject.

He actually won the very 1st BCS title.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

A very intellectually dishonest question. How many people outside of bammer thought Saban would go there? The answer? ZERO!!!
The admin has to be serious and be will to fully commit to land big coaches. Hamilton was a fool and has done more to set our program back maybe more than anyone ever.

:good!:

I was being facetious though. I don't want Spurrier here......anymore.

Saban wins because he focuses on the "process"- the steps you take to achieve the excellence that translates to winning.

Dooley's only real hope of winning is to NOT focus on those past results and just "win ball games" but to establish an ever improving "process" that creates desirable results as a natural outcome.

Lack of a defined process = variation

The higher the level of variation the higher the probablity for error.

The high probablity for error, the higher the probablity for failure.

Disagree with the process all you want but it works....everywhere. It isn't the fact that we have a process now, the process may just need improvement. There has never been evidence of a process in the athletic department at UT since I have been a fan (1977).

Majors and then Fulmer. I don't see the difference in a current coach with a NC and hiring one to replace a coach.

Is your point that UT should hire Fulmer?

Otherwise, you weren't following the conversation.

You said BCS title. I pointed out that Fulmer one the bvery first one therefore it was impossible for him to have won one and dumb of you to even bring him up

Last edited:
And hiring a "Proven" coach doesn't necessarily mean a BCS title.

The post that started the back and forth mentioned a BCS title.

I get your point and I agree with it. But given that I was responding to specific posts, you aren't proving me wrong here.

Pretty sure that the BCS came well after Majors was done.

Oh you said BCS and I thought NC and the original post did say BCS. I guess you don't count championships that Bama got before Saban then or you aren't old enough to remember them. Either way BCS or NC is a matter of semantics for me.

Edit: Cleared up some misconceptions.

Last edited:
Unrealistic. We have to accept that coaches dream of spending their careers in Tuscaloosa and only WAC losers would want to coach in Knoxville.

Plenty of coaches may dream of "spending" their career in K'ville. Not many were willing to END their career in K'ville when DD took over.

Hard times were coming regardless of who was hired. You might argue a game shifting one way or the other with a better or worse hire but the roster was not competitive. It would not have been competitive if UT had hired Bill Cowher, Pete Carroll, or Lord Saban himself.

So it came down to a guy who was willing to swing for the fence.

Dooley has performed a good service even if he doesn't make it. He has rebuilt the program to a point where the right hire can succeed pretty quickly.

Reactions: 1 person
Oh you said BCS and I thought NC and the original post did say BCS. I guess you don't count championships that Bama got before Saban then or you aren't old enough to remember them. Either way BCS or NC is a matter of semantics for me.

Edit: Cleared up some misconceptions.

I assumed you were confused. I wasn't trying to argue semantics.

Do you really not get it or is the contempt you feel for Dooley just that blinding?

Saban wins because he focuses on the "process"- the steps you take to achieve the excellence that translates to winning.

Dooley's only real hope of winning is to NOT focus on those past results and just "win ball games" but to establish an ever improving "process" that creates desirable results as a natural outcome.

This hurts my head.

His process, in 5 years as a HC, has resulted in one winning season. His biggest wins in his career were either beating a 4-8 Mississippi State team at La Tech or beating the 2011 Liberty Bowl participants.

His process has led to constant staff turnover in his time here. He's replaced 8 assistants in two years.

He's had two highly regarded recruits flame out in back to back fall camps (Pat Martin and Bourque).

So, he doesn't need to mention his process any longer.

Last edited:
This hurts my head.

His process, in 5 years as a HC, has resulted in one winning season. His biggest wins in his career were either beating a 4-8 Mississippi State team at La Tech or beating the 2011 Liberty Bowl participants.

His process has led to constant staff turnover in his time here. He's replaced 8 assistants in two years.

He's had two highly regarded recruits flame out in back to back fall camps (Pat Martin and Bourque).

Don't you get it justin? He's the only coach EVER that you can't judge by HIS record. He's the best coach in America, just ask his mommy.

Reactions: 1 person
This hurts my head.
I have absolutely no doubt about that. I have asked you to simply question what you THINK you already know about the outcome.

If you strip things from their context then you cannot correctly evaluate them.

And if it doesn't work then he's out even though fans like you were a pretty big factor in some of those decisions. They likely signed on thinking any rational person would know the rebuilding process might take time... then realized after two years that a sizeable chunk of the UT fanbase just wasn't that rational.
Between Kiffin and Fulmer... how many highly regarded recruits have flamed out before making a contribution? You are never going to hit 100% on things like that. Dooley specifically mentioned that there are times you take a chance on very talented but risky guys.

When you have a few years under your belt hiring people, you'll know that there are always risks that someone will not turn out the way you hope. No one escapes that.

Even Saban has highly rated guys who do not pan out.

You STILL show no understanding of this management concept. It is a method practiced by many if not most of the most successful organizations in the world. It is NOT based on the idea that the process never fails or needs improvement. In fact, it assumes both and provides for a constant cycle of evaluation and correction.

VN Store

Back