[Rumor] NCAA Considering Transfer Rule Change

I think a simple tweak of the transfer rules is in order. If you voluntarily transfer you have to sit a year before being eligible to play but you can go anywhere (no coach restrictions) and be on scholarship. If the coach pulls your athletic scholarship you can go anywhere and play immediately.

Fair?

Reactions: 1 person
he has a choice walking into it. welcome to adulthood, you have entered a contract of your own free will.

Are coaches adults who enter contracts on their own free will?

Additionally, many of these kids sign at 17. Before “adulthood”

Last edited:
I think a simple tweak of the transfer rules is in order. If you voluntarily transfer you have to sit a year before being eligible to play but you can go anywhere (no coach restrictions) and be on scholarship. If the coach pulls your athletic scholarship you can go anywhere and play immediately.

Fair?

I think this could be pretty fair. Players who aren’t contributing/struggling could talk with coach and ask him to release them so he could seek a scholarship elsewhere. This is also relying on a coaches good will, but this might be solid middle ground.

Don’t think there’s a perfect answer.

Fair?

I think this is probably the perfect next step, where it’s an improvement for the players without setting off a firestorm of complaints.

Yeah and they pay when they break contracts. Want to hold the athletes to the same standard?

and pretty much everyone of them owes the school money, unless Hamilton is your AD. are the kids going to pay the school? is the new school going to pay the old?

in that case there parent has to sign too, and we have seen enough cases of the kids getting their way over the parents want to ignore any argument of the parent getting what they want. age cant be a crutch for ever.

and pretty much everyone of them owes the school money, unless Hamilton is your AD. are the kids going to pay the school? is the new school going to pay the old?

in that case there parent has to sign too, and we have seen enough cases of the kids getting their way over the parents want to ignore any argument of the parent getting what they want. age cant be a crutch for ever.

Schools pay multimillion dollar buyouts for coaches but now we’re gonna have a problem with a couple $30,000 scholarships?

Schools pay multimillion dollar buyouts for coaches but now we’re gonna have a problem with a couple $30,000 scholarships?

depends on what price the second school is paying.

kids going from Vandy to some podunk college, is that lower college going to pick up that 60k+ price tag?

also how is this in the kids best interest that he has become a line item to be bought and sold openly? I thought the current system was already too corrupt for you guys, now schools are allowed to put a "For Sale" sign on them?

Why is it a one-shot deal? The athlete should get to decide what is best for him when he's 18, but others decide on his behalf when he's older? That seems backwards.

kid signed on to a multiyear deal, there is no deciding by others. already said if the school isn't going to pick up his tab then he can go wherever.

depends on what price the second school is paying.

kids going from Vandy to some podunk college, is that lower college going to pick up that 60k+ price tag?

also how is this in the kids best interest that he has become a line item to be bought and sold openly? I thought the current system was already too corrupt for you guys, now schools are allowed to put a "For Sale" sign on them?

Sure 30, 40, 60 grand. Not an issue for most of these schools. If it’s an issue, don’t take the player.

You were the one who brought up one school paying the other school for the transfer, and now you have an issue with it? I would prefer no money exchange hands but that wasn’t the premise you (or maybe it was another poster) brought up.

Sure 30, 40, 60 grand. Not an issue for most of these schools. If it’s an issue, don’t take the player.

You were the one who brought up one school paying the other school for the transfer, and now you have an issue with it? I would prefer no money exchange hands but that wasn’t the premise you (or maybe it was another poster) brought up.

you were the one that brought money into it. You compared their situation to coaches getting bought out.

if money becomes a driver for a kid, or against him, is it really up to the kid's best wishes to go where he wants if a school can't take him?

you were the one that brought money into it. You compared their situation to coaches getting bought out.

if money becomes a driver for a kid, or against him, is it really up to the kid's best wishes to go where he wants if a school can't take him?

This is not true. I compared coaches being able to leave when they wanted to and another poster said they pay a buyout, would we want players to do the same thing. I responded to him bringing money into it.

Reference the top of this page for the posts in question.

Almost everyone signs on to a one-year deal, not a multiyear one.

The one year deal includes the condition of sitting out a year if you transfer. These people know what they are getting into when they sign.

The one year deal includes the condition of sitting out a year if you transfer. These people know what they are getting into when they sign.

This has become a circular argument.

“Who should decide what’s best for the players?”
“Someone other than the players.”
“Why?”
“Because that’s how we currently do it.”

This has become a circular argument.

“Who should decide what’s best for the players?”
“Someone other than the players.”
“Why?”
“Because that’s how we currently do it.”

The players should decide what’s best for them but they need to understand their commitment comes with strings. There is room for compromise but not all out free agency.

I love the idea. If the coach can leave without sitting out a year, why can’t the people who got him or her that new job?

I love the idea. If the coach can leave without sitting out a year, why can’t the people who got him or her that new job?

The coach or new school pays for the privilege of having that new coach.

VN Store

Back