[Rumor] NCAA Considering Transfer Rule Change

Insane!

A school invests huge $s in recruiting a player for a couple years and then developing him for a couple more years, and he should be free to just up and leave to go play elsewhere?

Reactions: 1 person
Insane!

A school invests huge $s in recruiting a player for a couple years and then developing him for a couple more years, and he should be free to just up and leave to go play elsewhere?

I am generally for students staying where they are but the money a school spends on them is BS. most schools "waste" a TON of money on all of the players they don't get. same thing here. what if the kid drops out or gets kicked off the team, money spent shouldn't be an issue there either.

I am generally for students staying where they are but the money a school spends on them is BS. most schools "waste" a TON of money on all of the players they don't get. same thing here. what if the kid drops out or gets kicked off the team, money spent shouldn't be an issue there either.

Tidal is talking about all the money Bamma spends to move the kids family, get them jobs, houses cars, ext. He wants a return dang it!

Insane!

The kid is investing his future, he has more to lose than the school does

What if scenario: In 2 years, Helton gets a HC gig at Mizzou or Kemtucky and a bunch of UTs rising offensive talent (QB, WRs, TE, OL, RB) transfer there and play right away. Everybody cool with that?

What if scenario: In 2 years, Helton gets a HC gig at Mizzou or Kemtucky and a bunch of UTs rising offensive talent (QB, WRs, TE, OL, RB) transfer there and play right away. Everybody cool with that?

Yes. Under the scenario I presented, only the offensive players from this years recruiting class would be eligible to transfer without penalty. All others would have the same rule that applies now.

In reality I doubt many, if any, would make that move. Maybe a couple at most.

Sure. No good starter is going to leave Tennessee for Kentucky anyway

Insane!

No matter. Collegiate sports should be all about the "student"/athlete. I don't like the schools bringing in a player, deciding they're a career backup, then being able to force them to sit out a year when the player wants to go where they have a shot at being a starter. I don't think college players should be able to change teams like underwear. There's no way most could get positive progress toward graduation. If that's no longer a goal, I'm done with organized football above high school. Maybe a grandson will play.

Student/Athletes are already able to play for 3 FBS schools in 5 years. Isn’t that enough? (e.g. Shaq Wiggins 2013 Georgia, 2015-16 Louisville, 2017 Tennessee)

Coach Saban, always on the cutting edge of college football progress, as far back as 2012 stated that the University of Alabama would be offering guaranteed 4-year scholarships for players. That's fair. For anyone who just doesn't have what it takes or gets hurt still gets an education if they are so inclined. I say IF only because I foresee many players still saying no thanks.

I would like to see the easy transfer to any team the player chooses if they are so inclined, even in the SEC. The one-year penalty should never be changed. No free agency. However, all players should be allowed a full ride to the new school in that transfer year.

This is long overdue. People are not possessions. We supposedly like the idea of a free society, but simultaneously support suppressing the freedom of movement of college players we refuse to pay. Makes absolutely no sense and this BS doesn't fly in any other walk of life.

Reactions: 2 people
This is long overdue. People are not possessions. We supposedly like the idea of a free society, but simultaneously support suppressing the freedom of movement of college players we refuse to pay. Makes absolutely no sense and this BS doesn't fly in any other walk of life.

Sure it does. Ever heard of a non-compete?

Im for whatever is in the best interest of the student

If you cared on bit you would never support college football.

best interest would have you (collective society) not paying to watch them beat themselves against brick walls. not have them get concussions, or other brain damage even if not a full blown concussion. then you also have all the other injuries, and any "performance enhancers" that shred their organs. all to get a degree that society has devalued, and an education at a standard they probably could have gotten in high school if they applied themself.

also "best interest" is a relative term, which makes it impossible to provide one rule for everyone. How can we say with any degree of certainty that a transfer would actually help? You have like the 2% population who gets into the NFL, thats a fixed number every year. Even if one guy transfers and then makes the NFL, that means someone else isn't getting in. What about his best interest? Is it someone's "best interest" just to transfer for playing time even if there is no hope for NFL? what do they objectively gain? If someone follows a coach is it in their best interest to jump blind into a new school? Likely not knowing their team mates, the school, or their playing time as they do? There is very likely going to be new position coaches, S&C, support staff, facilities etc etc.

Yeah it's a success driven business, I'm not going to allow Trey Smith to wake up Wednesday morning and transfer to Georgia or Florida or Bama because his girlfriend broke up with him and he has boys on another team. You can go to any power 5 school you want but not in the SEC, how horrible?

Yeah it's a success driven business, I'm not going to allow Trey Smith to wake up Wednesday morning and transfer to Georgia or Florida or Bama because his girlfriend broke up with him and he has boys on another team. You can go to any power 5 school you want but not in the SEC, how horrible?

Agree 100% with the bolded. It’s why the schools don’t want “student athletes” to transfer.

I don't know if I have a problem with this. If a player isn't cutting it on one team and has a shot on another why not let him take his chances if he wants to leave? If a rule like this hurts any team it'll be Alabama where they have 4 and 5 star players warming the bench.

If you cared on bit you would never support college football.

best interest would have you (collective society) not paying to watch them beat themselves against brick walls. not have them get concussions, or other brain damage even if not a full blown concussion. then you also have all the other injuries, and any "performance enhancers" that shred their organs. all to get a degree that society has devalued, and an education at a standard they probably could have gotten in high school if they applied themself.

also "best interest" is a relative term, which makes it impossible to provide one rule for everyone. How can we say with any degree of certainty that a transfer would actually help? You have like the 2% population who gets into the NFL, thats a fixed number every year. Even if one guy transfers and then makes the NFL, that means someone else isn't getting in. What about his best interest? Is it someone's "best interest" just to transfer for playing time even if there is no hope for NFL? what do they objectively gain? If someone follows a coach is it in their best interest to jump blind into a new school? Likely not knowing their team mates, the school, or their playing time as they do? There is very likely going to be new position coaches, S&C, support staff, facilities etc etc.
Or we could let the student athlete decide what's in his own best interest. And whether someone makes the NFL or not, playing football afforded them the opportunity to earn a degree without being saddled with student loan debt for years to come. If a kid wants to go to a different school, whether it's for football reasons, education, or personal reasons it should be his choice to make.

Or we could let the student athlete decide what's in his own best interest. And whether someone makes the NFL or not, playing football afforded them the opportunity to earn a degree without being saddled with student loan debt for years to come. If a kid wants to go to a different school, whether it's for football reasons, education, or personal reasons it should be his choice to make.

Absolutely. Was going to post this myself, but decided it wasn't worth the argument.

he has a choice walking into it. welcome to adulthood, you have entered a contract of your own free will.

he has a choice walking into it. welcome to adulthood, you have entered a contract of your own free will.

The question of who should be the one to decide what is best for a college student really doesn’t have anything to do with contract

VN Store

Back