Rucker .... 2nd toughest schedule in college football

However it is, things need to get back to the right way. We never used to cry about having a tough schedule. We never used to be the easy win or reason another team's schedule is weak. We need to get back to the way it used to be. When Tennessee was a dreaded opponent a reason to include an opponents schedule in the list as one of the nations toughest!!
What years did the schedule include 4 top 8 teams? Lot of one game schedules in the Fulmer heyday. What years did the SEC have the top 3 teams in the nation? I can remember back to around 89 or so and I don't recall the league being better at the top. Maybe one of the older Vols can answer that.

What years did the schedule include 4 top 8 teams? Lot of one game schedules in the Fulmer heyday. What years did the SEC have the top 3 teams in the nation? I can remember back to around 89 or so and I don't recall the league being better at the top. Maybe one of the older Vols can answer that.

They wont be all in the top 10 when it all pans out. The SEC is tough every year, but i think a blind rat could have 1 in the last 15 to start the last 3 seasons.

You just cant do things like have 1 winning record in 6 years of head coaching experience, 2 and 30 versus team finsihing with a winning record, and not to mention his ranked teams o fer, and the fact he is sticking with a quaterback that couldnt fight his way out of a paper sack.

It doesnt have anything todo with the schedule, because those are subjective anyways. It has everything todo with them not being able to recruit , hence our JUCO team, and his inability to x and o with anyone in the conference. Every team in the conference has a coach that i perceive as better except Kentucky and Auburn.

Last edited:
According to Rucker, one of the reasons for Dooley's rough season is that Tennessee has played the 2nd toughest schedule in college football.

Strength of Schedule: 2012 Mid-Season Review

According to fbschedules.com Tennessee was not in the top 10 of any of their rankings. Kentucky has by mid-season the toughest schedule this year. Along with them Florida, Arkansas, Auburn, Vanderbilt, and Missouri.

If this is the case, then why is it said that this was the easiest schedule Tennessee has had in the past 35 years?

Yeah, Rucker is :loco:

i like that we have played the current #1 6 7 8 and 15 and their only losses are to each other and that we arent in the top 10...

Reactions: 1 person
I don't see how we haven't had the toughest schedule. Thus far, out of our 8 games, we've played teams who have maxed out at rankings of 1, 2, 3, 5, and 11

the sky is blue.no its not,today its cloudy.well,when the clouds move out the sky will be blue.yes,but today its cloudy.again,when the clouds move out the sky will be blue again.

this is an example of the arguments on this thread.facts are a complete waste of time.

dd started with 62 scholarship players.fact

tenn was a major rebuild.fact

since dd has been here,we have only had 4 players to be drafted.fact

we are playing one of the toughest schedules in the country.fact

we are in the first year of a new def.fact

we are not good enough to beat top 10 teams yet and are still rebuilding.fact

we have made improvements on the off. side of the ball.fact

our def.is terrible and we are making the same mistakes every week.fact

we have 2 seniors on def. that have played more than 2 years.the rest are soph.fresh.or first year jr college.fact

if we go 8-5 to finish the year it will be an improvement from last year.fact

we are still 2 years away from being able to compete on a regular basis with our biggest rivals.no matter who the coach is.fact

if we start over next year with a new coach,it may take us longer than 2 years.fact

Reactions: 2 people
According to Rucker, one of the reasons for Dooley's rough season is that Tennessee has played the 2nd toughest schedule in college football.

Strength of Schedule: 2012 Mid-Season Review

According to fbschedules.com Tennessee was not in the top 10 of any of their rankings. Kentucky has by mid-season the toughest schedule this year. Along with them Florida, Arkansas, Auburn, Vanderbilt, and Missouri.

It's gonna be that way every year Rucker....

So. Lets take a look at this list of Hall of Fame coaches.
Saban and Spurrier. Both have built up championship teams at two schools. Untouchable integrity. Anybody arguing otherwise has escaped reality.
Chizik - is a flop. He rode two top draft choices to a title and nothing else. He has NOT rebuilt a program in this league.
Tubbs - is a champion. Was Auburn as bad as UT when he got there?
Richt - decent job. No crystal, but decent job. Was his roster as bad as UT's? His instate talent is supreme. Is Dooley's?
Dubose - Really? Quick fix, then flop.
Stallings - won a national title. Was the rebuild as bad as UT?

So this list is quite misleading and more inflammatory than anything. The SEC is stronger at the top than ever before. When you account for league strength, who had the toughest rebuild, other than Dooley of course? Not sure anyone of them had it tougher. They all had better instate talent. That is plain to see. At Alabama, Saban had to face the team he built at LSU and Tebow. He had some wins against both and some losses. I would have to vote for Saban as having it the toughest of the above coaches.
The league was at it's best while Tennessee was at it's worst. And Dooley has not worked any miracles. Yes, he has failed. He could be fired now and no one could complain. But don't act like he had an easy task. No real head coach wanted it, because it would have ruined their record and reputation.

Stallings didn't have to rebuild anything. Bill Curry left them in really good shape. If anything, the wheels kinda fell off when Stallings' recruits took over.

So? What does this have to do with anything? Dooley is a terrible head coach. You should be able to see that whether we have the easiest or hardest schedule of the past 100 years.

all I know is that we have a tough schedule and it's going to be that way every single year. this university is elite. no matter how strong the top of the sec is we deserve to be in the mix. even during the silly and simplistic debate by rucker even he admitted if some coach bigger comes along you grab him... now.

I will be listening to see how rucker handles himself on the show. I heard he got mad....bro.

the sky is blue.no its not,today its cloudy.well,when the clouds move out the sky will be blue.yes,but today its cloudy.again,when the clouds move out the sky will be blue again.

this is an example of the arguments on this thread.facts are a complete waste of time.

dd started with 62 scholarship players.fact

tenn was a major rebuild.fact

since dd has been here,we have only had 4 players to be drafted.fact

we are playing one of the toughest schedules in the country.fact

we are in the first year of a new def.fact
we are not good enough to beat top 10 teams yet and are still rebuilding.fact

we have made improvements on the off. side of the ball.fact

our def.is terrible and we are making the same mistakes every week.fact

we have 2 seniors on def. that have played more than 2 years.the rest are soph.fresh.or first year jr college.fact

if we go 8-5 to finish the year it will be an improvement from last year.fact

we are still 2 years away from being able to compete on a regular basis with our biggest rivals.no matter who the coach is.fact

if we start over next year with a new coach,it may take us longer than 2 years.fact

Ah yes....the ole "new defense" excuse. I have a suggestion for dooley - for job security purposes, switch from a 3-4 to a 4-3 and back every year. This way, when he continues to lose he can fall back on the transition to a new defense excuse. Which, obviously, our fans will swallow whole.

Well in the article linked, there are 5 different rankings of schedule strength. Not a single one matches. This suggests it's all opinion. They also don't go past the top 10

So where is the Vols schedule? The teams we have lost to have a combined record of 35-5...pretty good IYAM.

FWIW, Sagarin rates the Vols schedule strength at no. 2, which is I am sure where Rucker gets it.

USA TODAY

So, 6 opinions, one has us at 2, the others are all different and don't go past 10 places. We do have a tough schedule, even if you think Sagarin has it too high.

VN Store

Back