Rucker .... 2nd toughest schedule in college football

Letme see -uhm , what total horsesh+t . This should have been a EZ year to get 8 wins. Shouldda , but wasnt.

Rucker may be an idiot but it appears that many in this thread may be as we'll.... How many other teams have played as many highly ranked teams at this point?

Rucker thinks Dooley needs more time to build a "contender." Well, here are former and current SEC coaches who all "contended" by playing in the SEC championship game within their first 3 years at their respective schools.

Spurrier - Year 3 Florida
Stallings - Year 3 Alabama
Dubose - Year 3 Alabama
Tuberville - Year 2 Auburn
Saban - Year 2 LSU
Richt - Year 2 Georgia
Miles - Year 1 LSU
Meyer - Year 2 Florida
Saban - Year 2 Alabama
Chizik - Year 2 Auburn

I love the fact that this goes unnoticed

I love the fact that this goes unnoticed

Meyer came into a loaded Gator team.....Miles followed Saban.....Chizik had Cam Newton......every situation is different .....Dooley may be a bad coach but he inherited a dumpster fire and this is the first year he's had a full 85 man roster.....

Good grief, of course the schedule is tough, it's big time college football, it's multi million dollar football, it's SEC football. Our schedule should and always will be tough. No excuses for schedule are warranted.

i don't know about the vol's schedule being the second toughest in the country, but i'd bet money that our so-called head coach is the most unqualified, bar none.

Rucker thinks Dooley needs more time to build a "contender." Well, here are former and current SEC coaches who all "contended" by playing in the SEC championship game within their first 3 years at their respective schools.

Dubose - Year 3 Alabama
Saban - Year 2 LSU
Richt - Year 2 Georgia
Miles - Year 1 LSU
Meyer - Year 2 Florida
Saban - Year 2 Alabama
Chizik - Year 2 Auburn
So. Lets take a look at this list of Hall of Fame coaches.
Saban and Spurrier. Both have built up championship teams at two schools. Untouchable integrity. Anybody arguing otherwise has escaped reality.
Chizik - is a flop. He rode two top draft choices to a title and nothing else. He has NOT rebuilt a program in this league.
Tubbs - is a champion. Was Auburn as bad as UT when he got there?
Richt - decent job. No crystal, but decent job. Was his roster as bad as UT's? His instate talent is supreme. Is Dooley's?
Dubose - Really? Quick fix, then flop.
Stallings - won a national title. Was the rebuild as bad as UT?

So this list is quite misleading and more inflammatory than anything. The SEC is stronger at the top than ever before. When you account for league strength, who had the toughest rebuild, other than Dooley of course? Not sure anyone of them had it tougher. They all had better instate talent. That is plain to see. At Alabama, Saban had to face the team he built at LSU and Tebow. He had some wins against both and some losses. I would have to vote for Saban as having it the toughest of the above coaches.
The league was at it's best while Tennessee was at it's worst. And Dooley has not worked any miracles. Yes, he has failed. He could be fired now and no one could complain. But don't act like he had an easy task. No real head coach wanted it, because it would have ruined their record and reputation.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
According to Rucker, one of the reasons for Dooley's rough season is that Tennessee has played the 2nd toughest schedule in college football.

Strength of Schedule: 2012 Mid-Season Review

According to fbschedules.com Tennessee was not in the top 10 of any of their rankings. Kentucky has by mid-season the toughest schedule this year. Along with them Florida, Arkansas, Auburn, Vanderbilt, and Missouri.

Oh look, its this argument again.

:popcorn:

Going off what I just heard on ESPN. They said the Sargarin had them the way I posted earlier.

Probably because they were discussing the formula that the BCS requires Sagarin to submit (it removes scores from the equation). The real Sagarin equation, which he uses to predict scores, has Alabama #1.

It is stupid that the NCAA requires Sagarin to create an entirely separate formula just for the BCS rankings.

Going off what I just heard on ESPN. They said the Sargarin had them the way I posted earlier.

Dubose - Year 3 Alabama
Saban - Year 2 LSU
Richt - Year 2 Georgia
Miles - Year 1 LSU
Meyer - Year 2 Florida
Saban - Year 2 Alabama
Chizik - Year 2 Auburn

Not sure how this is relevant? Each coach came into a different scenario and circumstances at their school. Fulmer took over a team loaded with talent and consistency... took 5 seasons to win the SECCG and then won the National Championship in year 6. It must be noted that the Vols "contended" for the title in years 3 and 4.

Not sure how this is relevant? Each coach came into a different scenario and circumstances at their school. Fulmer took over a team loaded with talent and consistency... took 5 seasons to win the SECCG and then won the National Championship in year 6. It must be noted that the Vols "contended" for the title in years 3 and 4.

It is not relevant to anything. But it can be twisted to pound on Dooley. So it lives.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Notre Dame was up there in "toughest schedule" rankings? How is our schedule different from any SEC schedule? Our non-conference was full of the typical cream puffs plus NC State ( a middle of the road ACC school) so I think if anything the schedule was set up for Dooley to win at minimum the 7-8 games to save his job. I love it how excuses are being made for mediocrity and low expectations---Dooley has dropped the ball and that's why he is in the position he is in.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Notre Dame was up there in "toughest schedule" rankings? How is our schedule different from any SEC schedule? Our non-conference was full of the typical cream puffs plus NC State ( a middle of the road ACC school) so I think if anything the schedule was set up for Dooley to win at minimum the 7-8 games to save his job. I love it how excuses are being made for mediocrity and low expectations---Dooley has dropped the ball and that's why he is in the position he is in.

Dooley can still win 7 or 8 games. We have 5 left.

Regardless of each individual circumstance, these examples show it has been done. We're about to finish 4th or lower in the SEC East for the 3rd straight year under Dooley, so the POINT is that we're simply not contending for anything except to stay out of the cellar.

Last edited:
Don't understand why everyone is bashing Rucker if he says it was a tougher schedule?

he's using it to prop up sorry results and sorry coaching. Anyone paying attention can see that we have ample talent to win these football games, but it's wholly uncoached.

I'd be happy, too. I thought Florida would struggle for 9 wins. As you said, they have found a way to win. That says a lot about the team and its leadership.

Factually what floriDUHHHH found was the O coordinator from Boise and LOTS of 4* and 5* players stacked to the roof in the last 4 or 5 recruiting classes.

Tennessee doesn't have 1/2 the future NFL players on our roster YET that all the top SEC teams have.

Despite all the future NFL players the top SEC teams have on their roster our Vols were still only 3 to 5 plays per game going differently and we would be a 1 loss team and ranked in the top 10.

If our defense was in the 2nd year or learning the 3-4 instead of in the 1st year we would still be a 1 loss team and ranked in the top 10 and we would have already Won the SEC East title and CDD would be trying to figure out a way to beat alaBubba in the SEC Championship game to play for a National Championship.

We are lots closer than most here on VN know or will ever admit and it was CDD and his coaching staff that got us this close this fast and with only 2 recruiting classes of CDD's.

CDD got stuck with Bray because laMe kiffScum brought him in so he had no other real option at QB except Simms who was never a SEC QB and Worley that was a Freshman last year and is only a Soph this year so he doesn't know everything yet.

Does everyone really believe that CJC called for a long pass on all those 3rd and shorts????

Or did CJC call something else and Bray changed it at the line because he knows that CDD is stuck with him and that Worley isn't ready to take it all over yet?

People on here just aren't very realistic at all.

When the coaches are stuck with certain players they have to play the best players they can find until they can recruit their own players and then get them ready to start in a year or 2 and sometimes it's 3 years before the light comes on and a player knows and understands everything.

Every year we see players all across the country become stars as a Junior or Senior when nobody ever heard of them before because they finally figured it all out after coaches teaching them for 3 or 4 years.

How many times do we hear of a great player evolving but he's a 5th year Senior?

If we fire CDD and this staff and we don't get a homerun hire that's also a staff of great recruiters we might be making the biggest mistake in Tennessee football history and 4 or 5 years from now we'll be starting all over again with another new Coaching staff and recruiters for another 5 year rebuilding task.

How many more years before the Pilot Oil $$$ stops flowing in?

Our Govenor may not have the same love for Tennessee football that his daddy has and he may be too busy running Pilot and a NFL team to care what happens at UT.

What UT does in the next 1 to 3 years is critical or we could really end up being like kenSucky and the Vandy commodedoors forever.

VFL...GBO!!!

However it is, things need to get back to the right way. We never used to cry about having a tough schedule. We never used to be the easy win or reason another team's schedule is weak. We need to get back to the way it used to be. When Tennessee was a dreaded opponent a reason to include an opponents schedule in the list as one of the nations toughest!!

VN Store

Back