Rocky Top League - 2016

Is there any report on how many steals and blocked shots that future Vols had in these contests? Defense is just as important as offense. If our defense on next year's team does not improve over last year's, then we will be in worse shape because of our inexperience.

Is there any report on how many steals and blocked shots that future Vols had in these contests? Defense is just as important as offense. If our defense on next year's team does not improve over last year's, then we will be in worse shape because of our inexperience.

I'm already forfeiting this year, be lucky to win 10 games.

I think thats a bit of a short sell on Hubbs. He looked like he was having fun dishing to others for shots to me. I think the RTL is just that for a lot of these guys. FUN. Grant Williams, who I might add was one hell of an imposing figure out there, smiled from ear to ear the whole time he was in the game.
Turner: he flat looks ready for the job. Bone: obvious talent needs to work on his outside jumper. Parker: great hops and dunking skills J.J. : lots of potential. Fulkerson: I was very impressed with his passing, rebounding and rim defense. He soundly rejected Emmanuel Terry once and thats no easy task. What little offense I saw demonstrated a lot more polish than I expected.
Some of these guys are going to be special I believe and others solid for the Vols in the future.
Weezy, was fun to watch and really seemed to enjoy himself. Williams standing next to him makes you realize how buff Williams is. Weezy was really trim though.
The LMU players showed out at times too. Terry is awesome rebounding and swatting and extremely quick around the basket. I'm not at all familiar with Travon Shaw. Terry told me he was a junior I think I caught he was a redshirt last year maybe? Shaw at one point hit 6 3's in a row in a very short amt. of time.
I had a blast. May try to go back later when my poor back recovers from sitting in bleachers so long.
I was impressed with the size of the crowd too!

Reactions: 2 people

Turner, Bone and Parker if I remember correctly were ball hawks but lets be honest here. Defense is a second thought unless it comes down to a one on one between two guys looking for a confrontation. Lots of loafing and trailing the ball and dishing off to wide open guys for threes that nobody picked up. PICK UP basketball.

Reactions: 1 person
Turner, Bone and Parker if I remember correctly were ball hawks but lets be honest here. Defense is a second thought unless it comes down to a one on one between two guys looking for a confrontation. Lots of loafing and trailing the ball and dishing off to wide open guys for threes that nobody picked up. PICK UP basketball.

Guess I should've included the blue don't in my post

This would take us back to the days of Wade Houston. Let's hope not! Of course, Wade's teams were not known for defense, which became quite a shock after Mears and DeVoe roamed the sidelines. Only O'Neill, Pearl, and Tyndall were defensive minded after those 2.

Entertain the fans and don't get hurt. The only 2 things that hopefully come from the RTL.

Hey, how much is general admission or is it free? Shamed to say I haven't made to any games in the past. But I plan on getting out there this yr.

If you're coming to the RTL looking for defense, then you came to the wrong gym.

I think thats a bit of a short sell on Hubbs. He looked like he was having fun dishing to others for shots to me. I think the RTL is just that for a lot of these guys. FUN. Grant Williams, who I might add was one hell of an imposing figure out there, smiled from ear to ear the whole time he was in the game.
Turner: he flat looks ready for the job. Bone: obvious talent needs to work on his outside jumper. Parker: great hops and dunking skills J.J. : lots of potential. Fulkerson: I was very impressed with his passing, rebounding and rim defense. He soundly rejected Emmanuel Terry once and thats no easy task. What little offense I saw demonstrated a lot more polish than I expected.
Some of these guys are going to be special I believe and others solid for the Vols in the future.
Weezy, was fun to watch and really seemed to enjoy himself. Williams standing next to him makes you realize how buff Williams is. Weezy was really trim though.
The LMU players showed out at times too. Terry is awesome rebounding and swatting and extremely quick around the basket. I'm not at all familiar with Travon Shaw. Terry told me he was a junior I think I caught he was a redshirt last year maybe? Shaw at one point hit 6 3's in a row in a very short amt. of time.
I had a blast. May try to go back later when my poor back recovers from sitting in bleachers so long.
I was impressed with the size of the crowd too!

Thanks for the report. I guess Admiral was a no-show.

Evidently a contest for H-O-R-S-E would be more exciting. Maybe add a 3 pt. and dunk contest to go along with it.

Evidently you've never attended the RTL. It's a lot of fun 3 months after and 5 months before the season. It's also great to see the 6 additions to the roster on a 94' floor.

Evidently you've never attended the RTL. It's a lot of fun 3 months after and 5 months before the season. It's also great to see the 6 additions to the roster on a 94' floor.

Whatever floats your boat!

As far as defense, what do you or anyone else see when it comes to defensive improvement for the upcoming season. I know we need a big upgrade.

As far as defense, what do you or anyone else see when it comes to defensive improvement for the upcoming season. I know we need a big upgrade.

No disrespect to our seniors last yr, but I thought our communication was terrible. No rotation and late to find block outs a lot.

I see this yrs team struggling some to start the season, but being a better defensive team than last yr by the start of sec play. Jmo

I think defense gets better. That is the carrot being waived for playing time. At the start of the year, half of the team will have a year and a half of Barnes as the coach.

I think that Turner will be an upgrade over Punter. Replacing Moore is the challenge, but he was playing out of position, so maybe it won't be that bad. Hopefully Williams can develop quickly and be at least an equal to Reese. Blackman had nice size for a perimeter defender, but I don't think it will be too difficult to replace his defense. So on defense, upgrades over Punter and Blackman, a probable drop off from Moore, and a wash replacing Reese. I'm not concerned as much about the defense as I am about an absense of outside shooting.

I think defense gets better. That is the carrot being waived for playing time. At the start of the year, half of the team will have a year and a half of Barnes as the coach.

I think that Turner will be an upgrade over Punter. Replacing Moore is the challenge, but he was playing out of position, so maybe it won't be that bad. Hopefully Williams can develop quickly and be at least an equal to Reese. Blackman had nice size for a perimeter defender, but I don't think it will be too difficult to replace his defense. So on defense, upgrades over Punter and Blackman, a probable drop off from Moore, and a wash replacing Reese. I'm not concerned as much about the defense as I am about an absense of outside shooting.

Blackman?

Thanks for the report. I guess Admiral was a no-show.

You're very welcome. I talked to one of the baby Vols after the games and he said Admiral just jammed his shoulder a little bit and he'd be fine. I saw Schofield leaving the gym before the games and was concerned.
I'm rally liking these new kids. Bright shiny smiles and seemed be thoroughly enjoying themselves. Also very polite and accommodating.

Evidently a contest for H-O-R-S-E would be more exciting. Maybe add a 3 pt. and dunk contest to go along with it.

If you don't enjoy a display of outstanding athleticism, tremendous camaraderie, being able to talk to the players and seeing regional talent as well then yeah you should remain a curmudgeon and an armchair critic. Seriously, I think you enjoy it in spite of yourself. Really really fun. I'm trying to go back maybe Mon. or Wed. next week. Bleachers are terrible on my back.

VN Store

Back