Rocky Top League - 2016

I think I would agree on everyone that you have except for what I have in bold. I think Phillips gets more than 15 minutes per game. I think he gets 25+ minutes combined playing the 2 & 3 positions. Maybe even a little PG if we desparately need it. He's just too talented in comparison to some of these other guards we have coming in as freshmen.

Keep in mind that Phillips & Mostella are the only 4* recruits we have at guards. Of course, Hubbs was a 5* but the rest coming in are all 3* recruits. I know coaches don't play based on how many stars a player is.

He plays them based on what they show & can do. Phillips showed flashes last season of the 4* status he came into UT as so I say he gets more minutes & probably even starts either at SG or SF. Hubbs will start at the other position that Phillips don't take. More than likely Hubbs will be the SF & Phillips the SG.

That's my opinion on how I see it playing out. However, I do agree with you on the rotations & minutes for most other players. I also agree in one of the three players you listed to redshirt. I think it will be Jalen Johnson myself. I think Kwe Parker could actually see the floor some & end up not redshirting based on his pure athleticism alone.

Where was Phillips rated as a 4*?

Phillips, Mostella, Hubbs, and J. Johnson are on the 2 worst teams and won't play in the 2 games in the Wednesday finale.

Disappointed that TN's most experienced players are on the "losingest" teams. But it's just the RTL... hopefully it doesn't mean a thing.

Where was Phillips rated as a 4*?

Without looking into it I believe it was either Scout or Rivals. It wasn't both I don't believe. Looks like I was wrong on both after a quick look. I could have sworn he was a 4* recruit coming in here to Knoxville.

My mistake. The only three main scouting services I really look at are Rivals, Scout, & 247. All three of them have him listed as a 3* guard. Thanks!

Great looking shooting % for hubbs except for FT. How on earth is that possible to shoot that well from the field and 3 and that
Poorly from the free throw line.

How many free tosses did he take?

Phillips, Mostella, Hubbs, and J. Johnson are on the 2 worst teams and won't play in the 2 games in the Wednesday finale.

Disappointed that TN's most experienced players are on the "losingest" teams. But it's just the RTL... hopefully it doesn't mean a thing.

It's bc of play they had good teammates. Reading it and seeing it are different. Like last year admiral showed up really out of shape and u can see the big different from him this year to last year. Bc he was Way bigger in weight then they listed last year

Team Admiral/Bone wins the Rocky Top League title over Team Lamonte/Fulkerson. 110-100.

Title game scorers: Lamonte Turner 32, Jordan Bone 29, Admiral 25, John Fulkerson 15

Reactions: 1 person
Don't think too much can ever be taken from RTL, but just my 2 cents and in order of impact this coming season IMO...

Jordan Bone: had the best showing of the group, which if you've paid attention for the last 3 months isn't really a shock. Many "experts" thought he was the most college ready and this staff has been planning for ways to play him early for 6+ months. He's a true freshman who will take some lumps, but he's what you want running your PG position.

Jordan Bowden: also looked very good. Has the best outside stroke of the new guys and physically benefited from the year in prep school. He is a two way player who has no issues scrapping, that will certainly bode well for his chances of playing early under Barnes.

John Fulkerson: if you've paid attention to the kid you got exactly what you'd expect, a tough nosed kid who blocks a lot of shots, goes after the boards and scores most his points from 3' and in. He definitely needs to add weight, but he's one of those guys you hate playing against, he just always seems to give a little more than everyone else wants to, and he has a very high basketball IQ.

Grant Williams: also about what was expected, he showed a little more of a perimeter game than I expected which is a good sign to know that's something he's already working on. He will struggle against length but he's gonna get his and as is a common theme with the new guys he's gonna scrap.

Kwe Parker: the YouTube videos were correct, he can jump, but other than that he has a long ways to go. He has what you can't teach, however he doesn't have much of what you can teach, luckily for him he has the resources and coaches at Tennessee to develop into a very good player. I don't expect much from him this season but if he buys into being a lock down defender and pest he can make an early impact simply on defense.

Jalen Johnsn: again it was what I expected, but that wasn't much...this is a guy who struggled to score for his high school team and also in the RTL, that is telling. Much like Parker he has tools you can't teach, but he desperately needs to gain strength and improve his ball handling, much like Parker if he exhausts his resources he can be a very solid player for Tennessee.

Reactions: 1 person
Don't think too much can ever be taken from RTL, but just my 2 cents and in order of impact this coming season IMO...

Jordan Bone: had the best showing of the group, which if you've paid attention for the last 3 months isn't really a shock. Many "experts" thought he was the most college ready and this staff has been planning for ways to play him early for 6+ months. He's a true freshman who will take some lumps, but he's what you want running your PG position.

Jordan Bowden: also looked very good. Has the best outside stroke of the new guys and physically benefited from the year in prep school. He is a two way player who has no issues scrapping, that will certainly bode well for his chances of playing early under Barnes.

John Fulkerson: if you've paid attention to the kid you got exactly what you'd expect, a tough nosed kid who blocks a lot of shots, goes after the boards and scores most his points from 3' and in. He definitely needs to add weight, but he's one of those guys you hate playing against, he just always seems to give a little more than everyone else wants to, and he has a very high basketball IQ.

Grant Williams: also about what was expected, he showed a little more of a perimeter game than I expected which is a good sign to know that's something he's already working on. He will struggle against length but he's gonna get his and as is a common theme with the new guys he's gonna scrap.

Kwe Parker: the YouTube videos were correct, he can jump, but other than that he has a long ways to go. He has what you can't teach, however he doesn't have much of what you can teach, luckily for him he has the resources and coaches at Tennessee to develop into a very good player. I don't expect much from him this season but if he buys into being a lock down defender and pest he can make an early impact simply on defense.

Jalen Johnsn: again it was what I expected, but that wasn't much...this is a guy who struggled to score for his high school team and also in the RTL, that is telling. Much like Parker he has tools you can't teach, but he desperately needs to gain strength and improve his ball handling, much like Parker if he exhausts his resources he can be a very solid player for Tennessee.

After reading these assessments, it is apparent that these guys have much work to do in order to become what we need to be a winning program, not only next year, but for the next couple of years, or more. Did Barnes have any teams at Texas with the need for as much improvement as this group? How about any of his other stops?

To me, the '17 class is going to have to be more like a Texas class than what we have been recruiting here for the past 4 or more seasons. Especially, if Barnes is committed to the man2man without deploying any zone. You can look for many of our foes to use some or all zone.

It is difficult to get a read on your team when they are scattered and playing against mostly division 2 players.

Last edited:

3'?
So, he's good from 3-feet and in?
Or do you mean 3-point range and inside 3-point range?

I like the motivation I'm seeing from players like Schofield, Mostella, and Turner at this point in the pre-season. Too soon to tell whether Hubbs is locked in yet or not. He may be the only elder statesman, along with Lew Evans when he gets on board, on our current roster, but I have a feeling the leadership and peer motivation for our young fellas is going to come more from Admiral and Lamonte than from Hubbs.

3'?
So, he's good from 3-feet and in?
Or do you mean 3-point range and inside 3-point range?

I like the motivation I'm seeing from players like Schofield, Mostella, and Turner at this point in the pre-season. Too soon to tell whether Hubbs is locked in yet or not. He may be the only elder statesman, along with Lew Evans when he gets on board, on our current roster, but I have a feeling the leadership and peer motivation for our young fellas is going to come more from Admiral and Lamonte than from Hubbs.

Last I looked he hadn't attempted a 3 point shot in RTL. don't need another one of those perimeter floaters anyway. Want to see him gain some weight and pound it inside.

Bowden 43% from 3 leads the Vols players, then Mostella at 42% and then......Grant Williams at 33%.

I think Parker and Johnson are gonna struggle to find minutes this season, my guess is only one of them redshirts (probably Johnson), but will be something to watch.

Tend to agree with your last paragraph. Parker is a great athlete but has a long way to go in becoming a great basketball player. Think he's definitely the odd man out in the guard rotation -- SG skills in a PG body... but he really can't shoot, either.

Johnson also looks to be a top-notch athlete, though he's smaller than I expected. I think both can develop into exciting players and will find their niches on the court. But I wouldn't expect it to happen this year.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back