Rock painting

All this ‘Painting o’ the Rock’ would be much less labor-intensive if we could replace our traditional old hunk of dolomite with a 21st Century wide-screen, high-definition plasma version of the venerable old UT boulder.

That would be cool but it would probably be relocated to some holler in Kentucky where the locals would come and watch "restlyn" while they whittled every saturday night.

From what I've seen Austin Sanders, josh Ward, Erik Ainge, and others have retweeted the picture I posted on here last night. So it will live in infamy.

And as far as the names go, I said in previous threads it might be an issue, but how can Rivals.com publicize the visit and we can't?

Well, at least the guys will see it and know we are behind them!

next time go in secret only in private messages and paint it late. take pics. once it gets painted over (if it does) then you can post. keep on DL until last minute.

From what I've seen Austin Sanders, josh Ward, Erik Ainge, and others have retweeted the picture I posted on here last night. So it will live in infamy.

And as far as the names go, I said in previous threads it might be an issue, but how can Rivals.com publicize the visit and we can't?

Well, at least the guys will see it and know we are behind them!

Jake ... I tweeted the picture last night and I know several people retweeted my post. It's out there for sure. And apparently the recruits have seen it (either in person or in picture, not sure which).

Mission accomplished. :good!:

UT Compliance disagrees. From their Twitter:

"@UTCompliance
UT fans: NCAA rules prohibit publicizing a recruit's visit to campus. This includes making signs or painting the rock."

https://twitter.com/UTCompliance/status/132539641772511232
This would include THEM painting a sign or rock....not a group of fans from a message board. Recruits' visits are publicized the same way and more broadly here and other pay sites. Both by the services and through the message boards. Seems to me that it's another one of those gray areas for compliance. The NCAA has no business telling the average fan what they can do. We are not governed by them. As long as the program can show that they have no part in it, there is no violation (on their part).

The NCAA can go kick a rock....no, I mean literally. Kick this rock...as hard as they can. Then they'll receive some enlightenment about the situation.

Last edited:
Great job! But I was pretty disappointed when I saw the names on it because I thought it has been discussed multiple times on here that names can not be on it.

This would include THEM painting a sign or rock....not a group of fans from a message board. Recruits' visits are publicized the same way and more broadly here and other pay sites. Both by the services and through the message boards. Seems to me that it's another one of those gray areas for compliance. The NCAA has no business telling the average fan what they can do. We are not governed by them. As long as the program can show that they have no part in it, there is no violation (on their part).

The NCAA can go kick a rock....no, I mean literally. Kick this rock...as hard as they can. Then they'll receive some enlightenment about the situation.
Maybe the cause of this is too many guns! Let's tie this
abhorrent behavior to too many guns and citizens obviously can't take freedom. We need more government and NCAA control! :loco:

Reactions: 1 person
UT Compliance disagrees. From their Twitter:

"@UTCompliance
UT fans: NCAA rules prohibit publicizing a recruit's visit to campus. This includes making signs or painting the rock."

https://twitter.com/UTCompliance/status/132539641772511232

Baton Rouge paper today gives names of LSU recruits visiting this weekend ... how would that not be "publicizing a recruit's visit to campus" ?

Oh, you meant, by the school doing the publicizing? Well, UT aint painting the rock.

kingsportvol88-albums-my+vol+stuff%21%21-picture4583-ba-kgwfceaeop1p.jpg

Just drove by the rock about an hour ago- The rock still has black background but the middle is gray and says Lawson-Bellamy and another recruits last name, maybe a last ditch effort. FWIW I just saw lawson et al. walking into the football complex from a charter bus with their families. Man if we land lawson and bellamy that would give the fan base something to go nuts over until august.

Last year, sorority girls painted it right after Ertel did his work. I believe Gibbs Hall Guy guarded it for a while.

Thats what needs to be done....get some of you guys down there and guard it from those idiot girls! Bring some beer, to keep you warm. Hell, offer the firefighters some beer and they'll stay down there and spray those idiots!!

to be honest, lately, sorority girls havent messed it up too much. With crap weather nobody has painted it for awhile. Its usually a bunch of dumb @$$' that just mess it up with a spray can or something its still intact though, look at my link

You painted it, some sorority girls or other airheads painted over the ENTIRE message. Currently, there are some VFLs on scene white washing the entire rock again to re-paint it. Sorry for the confusion. When I said "the names of the recruits", I meant the enire recruiting message. I wasn't even thinking about NCAA violations and someone only painting over the names.

Next Time- Paint the Rock how you want it and wait til the last possible hours to put The names if recruits on it, so they have no time to screw it up!

The rock is being painted by what the NCAA considers to be a booster. There's a reason compliance gets involved at that point

Exactly. It's a form of communication, and the NCAA prohibits boosters from contacting recruits IN ANY WAY, which includes signs and public messages. Boosters, which all of us are under the NCAA's definition, cannot call, visit, email, tweet or Facebook recruits. It's against the contact rules.

The NCAA isn't controlling anyone's first amendment rights. What they can do is hold your school responsible for what you do with those rights, the same way they can enforce rules on contact with coaches.

If you don't want to believe me, that's fine, but check out the @UTCompliance Twitter feed. Seems many of you have no clue on NCAA rules and how a school can be punished for fans' actions.

VN Store

Back