Rock painting

Compliance has to have it painted over when recruits names are painted on it when they're in for visits. Painting the rock publicizes the visit, which is an NCAA violation. We have been turned in by other schools for this before. In fact, UT Compliance actively discourages fans from paint recruits' names on it for this very reason:

"@UTCompliance
UT fans: NCAA rules prohibit publicizing a recruit's visit to campus. This includes making signs or painting the rock."

https://twitter.com/UTCompliance/status/132539641772511232

minor violation....no biggie

Reactions: 1 person
And yet people still want to argue with you :no:

Not arguing with the compliance tweet. I'm arguing with the logic. it's just hard to fathom that a 40 year old fan-initiated tradition like this could be an NCAA infraction.

Ertel ... Maybe just leave off the names next time. Use VFL, 117, and the like. You could still do some pretty creative stuff.

If we don't list the recruits, how can they bust us for that?

Why not list their school and/or number in high school with their team colors or something as well instead of last names?

Its what the NCAA does to get around "Amateur" athletes in their video games and merchandise. should be the same principle here.

I was looking through the paint the rock thread in the recruiting forum and it looks like Austin sanders is already tweeting pics and devaun swafford was tweeting about it so it made it to it's audience already. Makes me proud!!

Last edited:
Not all secondary violations are the same. If Tennessee self reports a regular fan painting a rock the NCAA will do absolutely nothing especially since it was immediately painted over by compliance. Alabama self reported 27 secondary violations last year. I think we will be alright.

Last edited:
Nevermind I see you answered. Do work whoever you are out there doing the work of the vfls!!!!

I was one of four that was out there fixing the rock. It had some kind of love message written on it in red and white paint. We fixed it and it looks pretty darn good if you ask me. Wife isnt real pleased with me but not sure she understands the magnitude of this signing class ;) Go Vols and as always #VFL#

Reactions: 5 people
Ok VN be on your best behavior now. No doubt these recruits will be checking out the site.

Fade Route take the next few weeks off.

ALL NEGATEERS TAKE THE NEXT FEW WEEKS OFF. Great work,guys. I love it! After the NSD,think yall could do a paintjob encouraging fans to come watch our new recruits and coaches at the O&W game? I`m the nut trying to rally every Vol to the flag and pack Neyland for Butch`s,and hopefully many of the names on the Rock,first game. Regardless,outstanding job! All hail Tennessee! Go Vols!
Posted via VolNation Mobile

minor violation....no biggie

Problem is, that's a violation that we have had before. The NCAA is stepping up enforcement on violations, even minor ones, at schools repeat over and over. That's why UT has put the info out there about it being a violation.

Problem is, that's a violation that we have had before. The NCAA is stepping up enforcement on violations, even minor ones, at schools repeat over and over. That's why UT has put the info out there about it being a violation.

I understand but the NCAA need to worry about bigger things than a rock....IMO

Fans tweeting recruits is also a violation.

Its going to get painted over, but more importantly its going to get seen, and thats alll that matters.

Painting the rock publicizes the visit, which is an NCAA violation.

So...leading up to the weekend, there are approximately 2,454,982 posts on 24,087 threads on countless forums about so & so coming on an unofficial visit and so & so coming on OV and so & so coming with their parents, but that isn't publicizing visits and is perfectly acceptable. However, a couple of guys going out and painting a rock in the middle of the night is against NCAA rules and regs?!

Okay, I understand now...makes perfect sense to me.

(Not criticizing you, DP)

Landing 3-4 of these recruits would contribute to a quick turn around for the football program. Hope it happens!!!!

Compliance has to put out that message to cover their ass and to ensure to NCAA that they did not endorse it or participate in it. They can't control what fans do and it is not a violation. Similar to radio announcers and message boards announcing recruits coming in for visits,

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back