Rock is Official

Why are we excited about this hire? His name and that he worked in the NFL?

What are his actual qualifications?

He's held a lot of jobs for a short period of time. He worked for a very unsuccessful NFL team. Butch, the control freak who is uncomfortable in his own skin, hired him. All cause for concern.

Last edited:
Why are we excited about this hire? His name and that he worked in the NFL?

What are his actual qualifications?

He's held a lot of jobs for a short period of time. He worked for a very unsuccessful NFL team. Butch, the control freak who is uncomfortable in his own skin, hired him. All cause for concern.

There is a lot that goes into being a successful NFL team. You can't put all the blame on him for the Rams' lack of success. The fact that multiple NFL teams have hired him says a lot. Being voted the NFL Strength Coach of the Year by his peers in 2007 speaks volumes as well.

Reactions: 2 people
There is a lot that goes into being a successful NFL team. You can't put all the blame on him for the Rams' lack of success. The fact that multiple NFL teams have hired him says a lot. Being voted the NFL Strength Coach of the Year by his peers in 2007 speaks volumes as well.

That doesn't speak volumes, but it does suggest he is well known... Possibly due to name recognition or the high number of jobs he has held.

Last edited:
Still waiting on solid reasons this is a great hire.

So far he has a cool name and is a nice guy. There has to be more. After all, Rock is now part of the best staff in the history of the world.

Agree, I think being named Strength Coach of the Year in the NFL qualifies him as a great hire. Obviously he knows what he's doing. Time will tell but I am excited about the hire of what is arguably the most important assistant coaching job on the staff.

Well, we now know that when Lawson was let go, they just put Szersen in charge without hiring anyone to carry the load Lawson did.

That being said, I am damn sure how he arrived at that conclusion.

Sadly, he is still in charge. RG was hired as SC over all sports. So, Szersen is still there and as far as I know, same capacity.

I like that he said his goal is to help Coach Butch Jones and the team win championships.

I also like what he had to say about progression, periodization, and percentages.

He has the proven experience to get our men stronger than ever at every position.

Great hire, Coach Jones!

We are paying Rock $375,000 annually. That's the third most in the SEC in a state with lower cost of living (compared to some, but not all SEC states) and no state income tax.

WHY WON'T WE SPEND THE DANG MONEY YOU GUYS?!

Why? Because his name is Rock? What has he accomplished here? And when we have just as many injuries next year will you be the first bi*##ing and starting a thread?

Great hire. We'll be a bigger, stronger, faster, and more physical team next season.

In his interview with Sportstalk yesterday, he said that he wasn't focused on max weight. That working out at a % of what was an "understood" best, was more effective. He used the example that if a player benched 500 pounds and you were fairly certain that 525 would be a personal best that they likely could achieve, that there was no reason to push the player to strain muscles to the extreme just for a number, that using that 525 as the "assumed" best and then working out at a % of that was just as effective. This goes against Butch's cheerleading of personal bests on weight and record breaking in the weight room but hey we'll see where it goes.

So far he has a cool name and is a nice guy. There has to be more. After all, Rock is now part of the best staff in the history of the world.

No offense meant but instead of coming to a message board looking to be convinced why don't you do some research on the guy. I'll make it easy for you:

Los Angeles Rams: Rock Gullickson

Before joining the Rams, Gullickson occupied a similar position with the Green Bay Packers from 2006-2008. In 2007, Gullickson was named NFL Strength Coach of the Year, an award that is given based on a vote of all 32 strength and conditioning coaches in the NFL.

Before joining the Saints, Gullickson spent 22 years as a collegiate coach. His last collegiate stop was at the University of Louisville from 1998-99. Gullickson served as strength and conditioning coach at the University of Texas from 1993-97, working with future NFL players, including Ricky Williams, Priest Holmes and Casey Hampton.

Reactions: 1 person

Keep waiting. The results on the field will be the measuring stick. This time next year we should be able to tell if it was a good hire.

Brett Farve said good things about him, he knows a little about football.

I'm gonna go out in a limb and say he will help our team get better.

Reactions: 1 person
No offense meant but instead of coming to a message board looking to be convinced why don't you do some research on the guy. I'll make it easy for you:

Los Angeles Rams: Rock Gullickson

Your research is the LA Rams site? That's hilarious. 😂😂

What are they supposed to say? 'He sucks at his job, but he's a cool guy with an intimidating name?'

I swear.. If UT fans were Eskimos, Butch would be selling ice to half of Vol Nation.

Why? Because his name is Rock? What has he accomplished here? And when we have just as many injuries next year will you be the first bi*##ing and starting a thread?

He has a positive reputation. The consensus of some was we wouldn't spend money on any high profile coaches ever, regardless of position. My only point was this hire flew in the face of thier platform.

I have no idea what goes into a S&C program of any sort, so all I can base my personal opinion on is his reputation and results. I feel like it's difficult to see results on a NFL team from the S&C program. At least for me it is. There have been some negative things come to light, but when you work as long as this dude has, you're going to piss someone off. So, I take that with a grain of salt since the good seems to far outweigh the bad.

Also, I don't care that his name is Rock. His name could be Bilbo Baggins for all I care. His name is actually Roger, by the way. He's been here for a grand total of approximately five minutes as well, so you might want to actually give him a shot before passing judgement on his tenure here. After the 2017 season is the time to look back and judge whether or not he lived up to his reputation and expectations.

What are they supposed to say? 'He sucks at his job, but he's a cool guy with an intimidating name?'

I swear.. If UT fans were Eskimos, Butch would be selling ice to half of Vol Nation.

It's pretty much just a biographical look at his life. Not a whole lot of adjectives in there. But, you'd know that if you actually took the time to read it.

I am an Eskimo and I ain't buying s*** from the used car salesman LBJ.

It's pretty much just a biographical look at his life. Not a whole lot of adjectives in there. But, you'd know that if you actually took the time to read it.

I read it two weeks ago. Wasn't impressed. I'm glad you are.

VN Store

Back