Rick Perry Indicted

Have any of you ever served on a jury? Or a grand jury? I've served on a couple of jury's and most of the jurors didn't even understand the cases.

I'm not following you. Perry tried to shut down the anti corruption unit by defunding it.

The D.A. absolutely compromised her position and should have stepped down, no disagreements there. Where I find it sketchy is that he would choose to leverage the greater value of an anti corruption unit over a single person he wanted out. It gets even more hair when it's pointed out that the unit was balls deep in one of his signature initiatives.

Withholding funds until someone steps down (we both agree she needed to) and shutting a unit down are two different animals.

I read the Op-Ed and there are more than a few circumstantial facts there. The premise that the $7.5 million was directly tied into the investigation is a stretch. The $7.5 mil was the budget of the task force so while technically correct, the author is leading someone to believe Perry withheld that money specifically for the Cancer Research project investigation. And asking her to resign as the Task Force head does not automatically mean she has to step down in her position as DA. I get the impression they are two separate things entirely, but I'm not positive on that. Bribery is a stretch as well. Coercion is probably more accurate, but even that is a stretch since he does have the authority to line item veto funds. And if he's not happy with the person in charge and said person refuses to resign, he can withhold funds until she did resign. That's his prerogative as Governor.

All in all, this is politics with a capital P. Bold, 120 font POLITICS.

This from a person living where the city motto is "Keep Austin Weird".

3pzYFIj.gif

Reactions: 3 people
That's because if LG wasn't a hypocrite he'd already be posting in this thread about how the Lib's are taking potshots calling for Perry to resign. Isn't that what he did regarding the impeachment discussion about Obama?

I don't know enough about it to say it's serious or politically motivated, but he's running for POTUS so I think it's absurd and a waste of time to call for him to resign. If he gets convicted of something, or if there's evidence that comes out showing he did something wrong, as opposed to opinion that he did something wrong, that might be different. But knee jerk calls for him to resign are premature and seem opportunistic.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't know enough about it to say it's serious or politically motivated, but he's running for POTUS so I think it's absurd and a waste of time to call for him to resign. If he gets convicted of something, or if there's evidence that comes out showing he did something wrong, as opposed to opinion that he did something wrong, that might be different. But knee jerk calls for him to resign are premature and seem opportunistic.

So you were or were not running around last night in a cowboy hat as giddy as a schoolgirl at a Backstreet Boys concert?

I didn't say that. I'm just saying that the worst voters in the state generally hail from those cities. Anyone from Abilene, Austin, San Antonio and El Paso will tell you that.

Sorry, I'm sake drunk on break and struggling to articulate.

What makes up the differences in the voters in the locales you listed?

What does "worst voters" mean?

Okay, if David Axelrod is saying the charges are shady, I'd think there certainly IS something fishy going on.

Top Dem Axelrod appears to support Perry, says indictment seems 'sketchy' | Fox News

Texas GOP Gov. Rick Perry after being indicted this weekend got support Saturday from one of the country's most powerful Democrats-- former President Obama political adviser David Axelrod-- who tweeted that the charge seems "sketchy."

"Unless he was demonstrably trying to scrap the ethics unit for other than his stated reason, Perry indictment seems pretty sketchy," Axelrod tweeted.

I thought government didn't create jobs?

Rick Perry not Holder, get with it 8188. My bad, I worded it poorly. Govt doesn't create jobs the private sector does. GV is correct about government promoting a favorable environment to encourage job growth. IE tax rates etc.

Last edited:
To those that might have forgotten....According to an article from townhall.com >>> A Travis County grand jury indicted governor Perry on two felony counts of abuse of power for making good on a veto threat. Perry dismissed the charges as political. The indictments are related to Perry vetoing funding for a Travis County unit which was investigating public corruption last year because the Democratic official heading the office refused to resign after being convicted of drunken driving. The investigative unit is based in Austin, a heavily Democratic city where the grand jury was seated. The rest of Texas is heavily Republican.

Reactions: 2 people
I thought government didn't create jobs?

They don't. How is that hard to understand?

Take teachers, government didn't "create" the teaching job. The private business hiring people, causing more to move into the school district created the teaching job.

They don't. How is that hard to understand?

Take teachers, government didn't "create" the teaching job. The private business hiring people, causing more to move into the school district created the teaching job.

Let me make sure I understand you correctly. Young couples get married, buy a home or rent in an area near their work. These young couples have lots of sex which produces children to send to the school in the district the couples live in. It is the sex that creates teaching jobs.

Let me make sure I understand you correctly. Young couples get married, buy a home or rent in an area near their work. These young couples have lots of sex which produces children to send to the school in the district the couples live in. It is the sex that creates teaching jobs.

I wish I had sex that created something good. Mine just creates awkwardness and animosity :sad:

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back