ReSeeding the NCAA needs to happen

Would do away with brackets and people filling them out, that’s not happening.

I will add this about the brackets as they stand now.

I am in 41st place right now after this weekend out of close to 200 entries. However if Nova wins the title and Kentucky makes the final 4 I am going to win it.

Just tells me the first two round picks really don't matter anyway unless your title winner is elimated. ReSeeding makes those first two rounds mean a lot more for the braket folks

I will add this about the brackets as they stand now.

I am in 41st place right now after this weekend out of close to 200 entries. However if Nova wins the title and Kentucky makes the final 4 I am going to win it.

Just tells me the first two round picks really don't matter anyway unless your title winner is elimated. ReSeeding makes those first two rounds mean a lot more for the braket folks

Why do I get this feeling you are just bitter about your own bracket. haha!

Not sure.. You will see a bunch of "2nd Chance Tournament Brackets" these coming days anyways. If anything, people might just wait around for Sweet 16 Tournament.

The first two rounds would be more compelling for me if a winner was declared after the first weekend. As it stands now I really only care about the team I picked to win it all. I really had no interest in the Xavier game tonight even though I had them in the elite 8.

I generally don't like change and I respect everyone saying they don't like but I want a better reason than if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I want someone to tell me why it's a bad idea. I think great things can be better and I think that about the NCAA tourney

It’s not that I don’t like your idea I just think mine is better . I would also except a tournament with the winners of all the conference champions . Would be a amazing to see

It just makes no sense to continue to have a bracket that doesn't reward regular season success.

This has to be one of the all-time dumbest ideas I've seen proposed on VN...

The bracket is designed to reward you for your whole season. But guess what? Sometimes Loyola-Chicago says screw your seed, we're gonna hit a game-winner. Sometimes Michigan State will run into a team that has a tough defense in Syracuse. And even stranger, sometimes a noname school that no one has heard about, decides to play the game of their life and win too.

It makes absolutely ZERO sense to punish teams that win for other teams losing. Reseeding would destroy the whole point of inviting midmajor conference champions and at-large bids. If you were serious about only having "the best games", lets just invite the top 16 teams and not allow anyone other than the blue bloods.

Reactions: 5 people
I disagree OP. This would lead to confusion among fans and even more power in the hands of a few programs. People who don't know the difference between man-to-man and 1-3-1 are intrigued by the 64 team tourney. They are watching and discussing games and schools. The 64 team tourney (The play-ins should be stopped!) has found a sweet spot that has made cultural impact. The other day, the Drudge Report had the UMBC miracle win front and center on probably the world's biggest political / cultural news site (aggregate) in the world.

Fans and non-fans LOVE the upsets and the Cinderella runs deep into the tourney. It's the core belief in our society that says "no matter how small and insignificant you may seem, you have opportunity to ascend to the top". Rags to riches. Giving a 12 seed a legitimate shot at EARNING a Final Four great for business.

The blue bloods have plenty of perks and their odds are overwhelmingly in favor at a shot to the FF. No more power needs to be given.

Reactions: 2 people
I'd pay good money to see LC beat KY.
Would we want to reseed if TN was still in the mix?

High seeds get home court - no more neutral sites with sparse crowds - this would limit the upsets and reward the Power 5 conferences that had to deal with playing a dog eat dog conf schedule

Because it doesn't give us the best teams in the final 4.

Ask yourself this question.

Would you rather watch Loyalo vs Nevada or Nevada vs Duke?

Loyala and Nevada all day. Because it’s different. It’s called March Madness. You know Madness but still the same boring programs tend to shine through it anyways.

The bracket is designed to reward you for your whole season. .

This is false and that is the point of the idea. If the braket rewarded teams for the whole season like you say the best team left in Villanova woudnt have a 2, 3 and a 5 seed left in their path to final 4.

It makes absolutely ZERO sense to punish teams that win for other teams losing. Reseeding would destroy the whole point of inviting midmajor conference champions and at-large bids. If you were serious about only having "the best games", lets just invite the top 16 teams and not allow anyone other than the blue bloods.

Since you want to use the word "punish" let's use it.

Which team deserves to be "punished"? A team that earned a number 1 seed like Villinova or a team that was a bubble team like Syracuse???

That's a easy answer

As for the mid majors.
They haven't won a natty in most of our lifetimes. They are just estatic to make it to the second weekend and all the attention that goes with it. This idea woudnt change their chances of making it to the sweet 16

It’s called March Madness for a reason. I’m ok with reseeding in the conference tournament because a lot of times NCAA bids and seeding are on the line to get in but don’t mess with the NCAA Tournament. You’re going to be playing a good team in almost any round so it really doesn’t matter about reseeding. We lost to a Sweet 16 and possibly Elite 8 opponent. Who’s to say we wouldn’t have crapped the bed against Nevada? We’ve had these roller coaster type games all season. Yeah we won a lot of games but in a lot of them we had long stretches of “what the heck is going on” moments and it was bound to bite us at some point. It’s just the nature of the tournament. The best team in the country doesn’t always win. Happens in a lot of sports. Simple as that.

It’s called March Madness for a reason. I’m ok with reseeding in the conference tournament because a lot of times NCAA bids and seeding are on the line to get in but don’t mess with the NCAA Tournament. You’re going to be playing a good team in almost any round so it really doesn’t matter about reseeding. We lost to a Sweet 16 and possibly Elite 8 opponent. Who’s to say we wouldn’t have crapped the bed against Nevada? We’ve had these roller coaster type games all season. Yeah we won a lot of games but in a lot of them we had long stretches of “what the heck is going on” moments and it was bound to bite us at some point. It’s just the nature of the tournament. The best team in the country doesn’t always win. Happens in a lot of sports. Simple as that.

So you want to reseed because a bid to the NCAA is on the line but not do it when a natty is?

Isn't crowning the best team the champ important?

After seeing it redrawn it’s not as bad of an idea as I was thinking but still against it and it will not happen anyway.

High seeds get home court - no more neutral sites with sparse crowds - this would limit the upsets and reward the Power 5 conferences that had to deal with playing a dog eat dog conf schedule

I’ve always wanted them to do this. The regular season needs to be rewarded in some other way. Too much focus is on the conference tournaments. The women got it right with their tournament. There’s absolutely no reason we should be playing our first round and second round games in Dallas. Once you get to the sweet 16 all bets are off and I’m ok with them sending us to Boise for all I care.

After seeing it redrawn it’s not as bad of an idea as I was thinking but still against it and it will not happen anyway.

It would make it harder for a VCU or George Mason to get to the final 4 I admit. When I get time later today I will look and see what teams they had to beat to get there but I am not in the camp of needing to see Cinderella advance past the sweet 16 to make the tourney compelling

So you want to reseed because a bid to the NCAA is on the line but not do it when a natty is?

Isn't crowning the best team the champ important?

No the tournament was setup to be “Survive and Advance” and it needs to stay that way or else it will lose a lot of excitement and nobody wants that. I’m ok with them reseeding in conference because not every team in the conference is going to be a good team. In the NCAA Tournament, you are going to be playing a good team any round no matter seeding(unless it’s one of those 15-19 Texas Southern teams but they slot them as a 16 anyways) so I just don’t see a point in it.

VN Store

Back