ReSeeding the NCAA needs to happen

Couldn't disagree more.

Banners for conference championships are always legit...it's a championship after all, even if UK fans yawn at them.

Indiana handing out S16 rings is weak on multiple levels. Surviving the first weekend of the NCAA tournament isn't ring worthy for a program that's won five national championships.

Agreed. With 2 first round picks and another future NBA player, that roster was loaded and should have won the championship that year. Crean's coaching cost them and the rings were how he made himself feel better. I doubt if Archie Miller ever hands out participation trophies down the road.

Back to the thread topic, Do we need to reseed again if Fla. St. beats Michigan tonight?

Last edited:
Based on this weekend’s Elite 8 games, BruinVol has petitioned the NCAA to make Loyola play the 1986 Celtics and 2017 Warriors before being allowed to participate in the Final Four.

So we ended up with a 1, 1, 3, and 11 seed.

More reason there’s no need for change. Only ended up with one outlier, which happens all the time. Loyola earned their spot.

Reactions: 4 people
I see the four regions as four separate tournaments. And the final four as another tournament. Heck, the region tournament winners all cut down the net and put up banners for it and act like they won something. So as I posted in the other thread, I think the final four should be seeded as a separate tournament.

I see the four regions as four separate tournaments. And the final four as another tournament. Heck, the region tournament winners all cut down the net and put up banners for it and act like they won something. So as I posted in the other thread, I think the final four should be seeded as a separate tournament.

I prefer seeding after the round of 32 but your proposal is certainly better than it is now and has merit.

Why change the best tournament in all of sports?

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Chicago Loyola has proven that leaving out mid major programs with 28-29 win seasons and putting in 8 or 9 schools from a Power 5 conference is heresy and all about money for the big schools and the NCAA. It is criminal in my opinion and puts a big black spot on college basketball.

Reactions: 1 person
Chicago Loyola has proven that leaving out mid major programs with 28-29 win seasons and putting in 8 or 9 schools from a Power 5 conference is heresy and all about money for the big schools and the NCAA. It is criminal in my opinion and puts a big black spot on college basketball.

Many don’t understand how good some mid major ball is. I’ll watch those guys all the time, they can compete with the big boys in a tournament setting. Would love to see more of them and less of the Syracuse, Oklahoma, Arizona State kinds in the tournament.

Reactions: 3 people
Loyola would finish in the bottom half of every P-5 conference.

They're on a 4 game run versus no great teams and needed a lot of lucky breaks, bounces, and favorable whistles to do it. Sister Jean is on the bus and Jesus took the wheel.

Someone is just mad their team choked.

Reactions: 2 people

Something we agree on SD.

They're on a 4 game run versus no great teams and needed a lot of lucky breaks, bounces, and favorable whistles to do it. Sister Jean is on the bus and Jesus took the wheel.

Had to have played a good 40 minutes for those lucky bounces to pay off?

Reactions: 2 people
Many don’t understand how good some mid major ball is. I’ll watch those guys all the time, they can compete with the big boys in a tournament setting. Would love to see more of them and less of the Syracuse, Oklahoma, Arizona State kinds in the tournament.

I see your point, to a degree. An upper-class laded mid-major can be very dangerous come tournament time. Most often these kids have played together for 3-4 years and if they're in an easy conference they can build for a tourney run.

If these teams were in a P5 conference they'd be hard-pressed to make the NIT.

Now, this is why I think the NCAA tournament is the greatest sporting event. The door opened for Loyola and they took advantage of it.

Disagree. The big 10 sucked. The PAC-12 sucked. Hell, they could have finished 2nd in the PAC-12 it was so bad.

A real good mid major would easily be in the middle of SEC or most other P5 leagues. While SEC had a lot of good teams, the league had no special teams. Maybe only exception would be Big 12 and ACC

When their best player was healthy, Loyola was 30-3 including last night, with wins over Florida, Tennessee and Miami. KenPom has them as the #31 team in the country, which would put them 5th or 6th in most big conferences and a close second in the Pac-12.

When their best player was healthy, Loyola was 30-3 including last night, with wins over Florida, Tennessee and Miami. KenPom has them as the #31 team in the country, which would put them 5th or 6th in most big conferences and a close second in the Pac-12.

They are the exception, not the rule.

The reason re-seeding is a bad idea is that it's just more people meddling in something that inherently simple by design.

Also, who is to say the the original seeding is truly indicative of the "best" teams? Further, what does "best" really mean anyway? The whole idea of "best" is the biggest problem with the current football playoff format. It is so open for interpretation that there has been argument and a sense of unfairness every year since it started. It's as if they have to create scenarios that drive talk radio and chat boards.

The basketball tournament is not meant to "crown the best team champion." It's meant to have a winner. Whoever wins it does so in the simplest and fairest manner possible. They won all the games on the court.

VN Store

Back