Report: Dan Mullen has interest in the Tennessee job

Should have beat Bama then, bruh

We don't need mullen....he only plays toughest teams in country and goes head to head with bama we need Scott frost he's won big at ucf....and that's all I need to know....mullens a bust....smh. tell u what bring ya boy frost or Novell to play bama and see if game was remotely as close as st....talent you say...well if coach is great as everyone says they are talent gap shouldn't matter ....smh

I think Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Auburn are all definitely better jobs. AU debatable but the others are not.

Bama is probably slightly ahead of us in general but the expectations are so high after Saban that you’d never live up to them.

UGA? We passed on Kirby Smart TWICE. We’re a demonstrably better job than them. They’ve won what, one title ever?

LSU is barely functioning as a University right now. Very unique state too, Baton Rouge isn’t for everyone.

Auburn is a solid gig, but overshadowed by Bama.

Game was tied 24-24 with under a minute left in the 4th quarter. He was punching Alabama and all their 4 and 5star players in the mouth all night long, went toe to toe with them, with all his 2 and 3 star players. The guy can scheme up, coach up and develop his players.....which would be a great departure from what we’re used to the last 5 years.

I wonder how well he would do with the egos of 4 and 5* players.

Reactions: 1 person
Mississippi State has been a coaching cemetery for a very long time. It is a place where coaching careers die. But Mullins' career is not pushing up daisies, and he has been in Starkville for years. I think that is what Tennessee needs, a coach who can survive a place that really sucks. Tennessee doesn't really. It is a great place for a coach who can really coach. But even if there was something undesirable or quirky about UT, prolly would not phase old Mullins. He might be the right kind of guy for us.

If you’re the head coach at Mississippi State and Tennessee comes calling you don’t say no. End of story.

Mullen is a home run hire. Mississippi State is what, a 4 win program usually? He’s elevated it and would be great here. The only problem with Mullen is we should have done it five years ago.

I don't know if Mullin is a home run, but he is better than a ground rule double. If he dives, he might be a triple.

But it beats bunting into a triple play.

MSU isn't the better job. Tell the recruits come to MSU and make them great.

Our coach has to say come to UT and make us great again.

MSU has never been great. And probably never will be great.

Tennessee is BY FAR the better job, that’s the point. Yet, look what Mullen has done there, compare it to what Jones/Dooley/Kiffin did here.....it ain’t close. Mullen would be a very good hire and a major upgrade over what we’ve had here the last decade based on his player development and doing more with less.

And as far as MSU never being great, of course they haven’t, they’re Mississippi State, they’re located in Starkville, MS....yet it’s indisputable that Mullen did a great job there a few years back when he had them the #1 ranked team in the country.

Due to the TV deals, if we offered $6.5MM, State could match in a heartbeat. However, we can offer the following things that State can't:

1. Better in-state recruiting/national recruiting profile
2. The SEC East
3. Not little brother in own state
4. Better facilities
5. Better looking co-eds :)
6. Lengthy tradition of winning
7. Bigger brand/more exposure

Mullens' responses:

1 In state? No. National? Maybe.
2 So . . . ?
3 No.
4 Ok.
5 Immaterial, but no.
6 You got to be kidding.
7 Ok.

Game was tied 24-24 with under a minute left in the 4th quarter. He was punching Alabama and all their 4 and 5star players in the mouth all night long, went toe to toe with them, with all his 2 and 3 star players. The guy can scheme up, coach up and develop his players.....which would be a great departure from what we’re used to the last 5 years.

Mullen's my top Plan B option after you-know-who, but one of his decisions from that Bama game really bothered me. MSU was up 21-17 early in the 4th quarter with 4th and 6 from the 8 yard line. They successfully kicked a field goal, but Alabama was penalized for running into the kicker. Instead of electing to go for it on 4th and 1 from the 3, Mullen decided to decline the penalty and kickoff with a 7 point lead (Alabama scored to tie the game on the ensuing possession).

That's exactly the kind of irrationally safe, play-not-to-lose conservatism that doomed Butch so many times (e.g., the 2015 Oklahoma game).

Mullen's my top Plan B option after you-know-who, but one of his decisions from that Bama game really bothered me. MSU was up 21-17 early in the 4th quarter with 4th and 6 from the 8 yard line. They successfully kicked a field goal, but Alabama was penalized for running into the kicker. Instead of electing to go for it on 4th and 1 from the 3, Mullen decided to decline the penalty and kickoff with a 7 point lead (Alabama scored to tie the game on the ensuing possession).

That's exactly the kind of irrationally safe, play-not-to-lose conservatism that doomed Butch so many times (e.g., the 2015 Oklahoma game).

The chart says you kick the field goal there.

Reactions: 2 people
I can give you seven million reasons why. Because that's what you're looking at giving him with his base and the incentives he receives from other sources.

That might be on the low end, unless they go to the 8-10 year (jimbo) contract.

Of course he does. Just like Saban had interest in the Texas job after Mack Brown. Saban landed a big raise based on that interest and stayed put.

The difference is Texas isn't a better job than Alabama. Tennessee (and sadly Florida as well) is a better job than Mississippi State.

MSU isn't the better job. Tell the recruits come to MSU and make them great.

Our coach has to say come to UT and make us great again.

MSU has never been great. And probably never will be great.

Just out of morbid curiosity, I pulled up Starkville on google maps. Best I can tell since I have never been there, but the closest interstates are I-22 to the northeast, I-20 to the southeast, and I-55 to the west. I need confirmation but all three look to be over a one hour drive from Starkville.

That means fewer jobs, which means fewer HS, and fewer local recruits and fans to support the program. Now, maybe Starkville has it's charm, but whoever planned the interstate system really screwed the bulldogs over.

Tennessee is BY FAR the better job, that’s the point. Yet, look what Mullen has done there, compare it to what Jones/Dooley/Kiffin did here.....it ain’t close. Mullen would be a very good hire and a major upgrade over what we’ve had here the last decade based on his player development and doing more with less.

And as far as MSU never being great, of course they haven’t, they’re Mississippi State, they’re located in Starkville, MS....yet it’s indisputable that Mullen did a great job there a few years back when he had them the #1 ranked team in the country.

He proved great QB play goes a long way.

He might be more of a football coach than a care taker. Let the AD worry about that aspect of it. I want a coach that is all about coaching.

He might be interested in Tennessee, but I have no interest in him.

SEC Record 32-38

Maybe Sexton will get him a raise so he will stay in Mississippi.

Reactions: 2 people
Not all of them just the ones they put in Neyland.

If Peyton swings Papa John's being sold in the stadium, the branding will still apply. The founder would have to allow that, and he wouldn't want the confusion to screw up their marketing.

Great! I wasn't on board with a Mullen hire for a very long time. I am on board and think it would be a very solid hire.

Just need UT interested in him.....

Make this happen before Florida hires him....

But. UF is hiring Kelley, so Dans Agent , stop it!!

Help

How do we do this?

Mullmers?
Mulmors?
Rumullenors?

:crazy:

I think he needs to be considered in more than one search to coin a term. Back away from the ledge, or stay away from the burning man festival.

VN Store

Back