Report: Dan Mullen has interest in the Tennessee job

I’m fine with that. He’s making 4.2 a year. UT needs to offer him 5.5. See how much MSU is willing to spend on him. My worry is we’ll offer him 4.5 and MSU will happily match it. This is like poker when an agent is using another school to get a coach a raise. UT needs to go all in to force MSU or any of these other schools to match us or fold.

Due to the TV deals, if we offered $6.5MM, State could match in a heartbeat. However, we can offer the following things that State can't:

1. Better in-state recruiting/national recruiting profile
2. The SEC East
3. Not little brother in own state
4. Better facilities
5. Better looking co-eds :)
6. Lengthy tradition of winning
7. Bigger brand/more exposure

Reactions: 2 people
It's debatable whether or not UT is a better job than MSU in 2017. You can preach tradition and history till the cowbells come home, but.10 years of being a greasefire does a whole lot to damage the brand.

Reactions: 1 person
I bet he does.....

Going to continue selling my SEC championship game tickets for 14 more years I guess...

Here is some good advice.

Why go negative?

My source says they announce Gruden as HC today. The players know. There is a video of them being told.

We'll see.

Mullen proved the importance of QB play.

I'm speculating that PM made a deal with Gruden. Come be HC and he would rename to Pappa Jon's.

Embrace the possibility that we will be better than ever next year. Hopefully starting tomorrow. It's time to start a winning streak.

Go Vols!

Win out!

It's debatable whether or not UT is a better job than MSU in 2017. You can preach tradition and history till the cowbells come home, but.10 years of being a greasefire does a whole lot to damage the brand.

I'm not sure how potential coaches view things, but I'm pretty sure jobs aren't ranked by how well a team has done over the pay few seasons. They're ranked by how high the ceiling is, and your crazy if you think Mississippi State's ceiling is close to ours.

I think Saban is a stinking genius. He plays Mullen close because he knows he can beat him, and Mullen’s stock will go up for all these coaching rumors. So gullible UT goes running down to Starkville to the guy that can’t beat Alabama. He is 7-32 against top 20 teams. He has never beat Saban and seldom beat LSU. HE IS THE DEFINITION OF AVERAGE!

Last edited:
I think Saban is a stinking genius. He plays Mullen close because he knows he can beat him, and Mullen’s stock will go up for all these coaching rumors. So gullible UT goes running down to Starkville to the guy that can beat Alabama. He is 7-32 against top 20 teams. He has never beat Saban and seldom beat LSU. HE IS THE DEFINITION OF AVERAGE!

I see what you did there...

Facilities, national recruiting brand, and in-state recruiting make UT a much better job than MSU. There's been some damage to UT's brand for sure but at absolute worst, UT is the 7th best job in the SEC (probably 4 or 5). At its absolute peak, MSU isn't one of the 10 best jobs in the SEC.

Set tradition and history aside, and judge us on Neyland stadium, athletic facilities, the Thornton center, the city of Knoxville, the transformation of Cumberland Avenue, and the highest cost of attendance allowance in the conference. Throw in the best growth in the south to make the in-state recruiting base better than the state of Mississippi will have as long as football is played and while I am at it, proximity to the Great Smoky Mountains. Name anything Starkville has to offer to compete with that.

You just lost the debate.

What is your favorite color?

Blue. NO. AHHHGH!

Last edited:
If you’re the head coach at Mississippi State and Tennessee comes calling you don’t say no. End of story.

Mullen is a home run hire. Mississippi State is what, a 4 win program usually? He’s elevated it and would be great here. The only problem with Mullen is we should have done it five years ago.

Facilities, national recruiting brand, and in-state recruiting make UT a much better job than MSU. There's been some damage to UT's brand for sure but at absolute worst, UT is the 7th best job in the SEC (probably 4 or 5). At its absolute peak, MSU isn't one of the 10 best jobs in the SEC.

Better job than Tennessee in the SEC? Florida. That’s it.

Here is some good advice.

Why go negative?

My source says they announce Gruden as HC today. The players know. There is a video of them being told.

We'll see.

Mullen proved the importance of QB play.

I'm speculating that PM made a deal with Gruden. Come be HC and he would rename to Pappa Jon's.

Embrace the possibility that we will be better than ever next year. Hopefully starting tomorrow. It's time to start a winning streak.

Go Vols!

Win out!

Peyton may own 24 Papa John's locations across weed friendly Colorado and also makes a killing as their spokesman, but that doesn't mean he owns the franchise or holds naming rights. Nice try, though.

If you’re the head coach at Mississippi State and Tennessee comes calling you don’t say no. End of story.

Mullen is a home run hire. Mississippi State is what, a 4 win program usually? He’s elevated it and would be great here. The only problem with Mullen is we should have done it five years ago.

How have so many schools overlooked a home run hire for the past several years?

Better job than Tennessee in the SEC? Florida. That’s it.

Delusional. Its the like the 6th best job in SEC right now. So many people wear orange glasses on this board. I moved out of the south and people outside of TN don't even recognize UT as a "big program" anymore.

MSU isn't the better job. Tell the recruits come to MSU and make them great.

Our coach has to say come to UT and make us great again.

MSU has never been great. And probably never will be great.

Not even close. I live outside of TN and it gets play on local radio. I think it is a fair assumption that is MSU were looking for a coach, to there would be considerably less media coverage.

Peyton may own 24 Papa John's locations across weed friendly Colorado and also makes a killing as their spokesman, but that doesn't mean he owns the franchise or holds naming rights. Nice try, though.

Not all of them just the ones they put in Neyland.

Last edited:
Should have beat Bama then, bruh

Game was tied 24-24 with under a minute left in the 4th quarter. He was punching Alabama and all their 4 and 5star players in the mouth all night long, went toe to toe with them, with all his 2 and 3 star players. The guy can scheme up, coach up and develop his players.....which would be a great departure from what we’re used to the last 5 years.

Reactions: 9 people

VN Store

Back