Replacement for CBJ - Scott Frost

With the buyout Nebraska is paying Pelini and would owe Riley, they may not be in a position to compete financially for Frost. Especially since UF avoided most of Mac's buyout. It looks to me like UF has a pretty good chance of getting Frost, even reaching an agreement in principle with Frost quickly. If they do, I wouldn't expect any public announcement until UCF finishes their season.

If accurate, if I'm Currie, I get in touch with Frost's agent right now and let him know UT is very interested and I'd throw out a huge dollar figure, like 7 mill a year (Harbaugh money, but not quite Saban money). That would give Frost's agent leverage and cause UF to possibly overpay for Frost; "we have another major SEC school willing to pay this, so we want this from you" scenario... And who knows, maybe Frost takes the UT job. What do you have to lose if you're Currie? Worse case, you take a few million out of a rival's coffers.

With the buyout Nebraska is paying Pelini and would owe Riley, they may not be in a position to compete financially for Frost. Especially since UF avoided most of Mac's buyout. It looks to me like UF has a pretty good chance of getting Frost, even reaching an agreement in principle with Frost quickly. If they do, I wouldn't expect any public announcement until UCF finishes their season.

Schools don't use the same account for paying off a coach and paying a current staff. They aren't based off of the same item line.

Do you know much about him besides that W-L record?

Michigan oc a couple years ago? Current MD hc...Past that I really don't know. Gotta buddy that's a big MD fan and he seems happy with dj.

But I just thought about it from a "relatively speaking" standpoint....lol

Do you know much about him besides that W-L record?

I'm not on Durkin boat myself; however for any of those who want/wanted Venables they should be on the Durkin boat.

Durkin coached under some good coaches and his defensive numbers are better than Venables (as DC's).

Reactions: 1 person
I’m reading from UF insiders there is “mutual interest” between Florida and Frost. And Steve Spurrier has blessed Frost as a candidate to replace Mac.

Doesn’t mean he’ll be UF’s new coach though, as I would assume there is obvious mutual interest between Frost and Nebraska.

And, if Tennessee wants Frost, they could certainly throw their hat in the ring. Might be a smart move for UT to show some interest, if nothing else it could force UF (or Nebraska) to overpay.

Ryan Bass at UCF 247 is the one that is saying that. UCF posters on Rivals say that is what Ryan always does - tries to stir the pot to try and be the first one saying anything so he can later say he was the first to report it. He isn't respected by UCF fans.

Since Ryan made that post on 247, FLorida fans are running with it since Ryan said what they want to hear.

Nothing Ryan said means he has the inside info on what is actually taking place.

We know Florida is going to reach out to agents for certain coaches. AD's always do during coaching searches. That doesn't mean the head coach is going to want the job even if he has some interest.

IMO, there is only one job that Scott Frost would leave UCF for and that is Nebraska.

Michigan oc a couple years ago? Current MD hc...Past that I really don't know. Gotta buddy that's a big MD fan and he seems happy with dj.

But I just thought about it from a "relatively speaking" standpoint....lol
Check out Durkin's wiki bio and some articles. He's coached under Meyer twice and Harbaugh twice. Very good recruiter with ties nation wide. MD was playing well, beat Texas to start the season, but top two QBs were lost for the season to injury in Sept.

He's had to totally change the culture at MD. He's getting a lot out of the talent he's got there. He's put a disciplined, well prepared, well coached product on the field that plays tough and physical. He's also a very good game planner and in-game coach.

He knows the SEC and will put a very good physical defense on the field -- a must in the SEC. Durkin, with a really good OC and staff and the player talent he'd be able to have at UT should be a very strong winning formula. Looks like a great fit with a lot of upside.

His salary and buyout aren't big. If UT doesn't hire him away from MD, I think somebody else will.

Last edited:
IMO, there is only one job that Scott Frost would leave UCF for and that is Nebraska.

Seriosuly? So Frost wants to stay at Central Florida for the rest of his career, unless Nebraska comes calling? Doesn't want to try coaching in the SEC at the flagship University two hours up the road in the fertile recruiting grounds of Florida?

Doesn't want to try to revive the proud traditional powerhouse program at UT?

Doesn't want to try and win a National Championship, ever? Because UCF will never play for a national title.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Seriosuly? So Frost wants to stay at Central Florida for the rest of his career? Doesn't want to try coaching in the SEC at the flagship University two hours up the road in the fertile recruiting grounds of Florida?

Doesn't want to try to revive the proud traditional powerhouse program at UT?

Doesn't want to try and win a National Championship, ever? Because UCF will never play for a national title.

I'm just talking about this year.

maybe.....

I still think a veteran coach who has coached in the SEC at a high level would be the quickest way back to competing in the SEC east war.

Les Miles

LSU won games in spite of Les Miles. They had the athletes. Remember a few years ago TN had them beat and Miles was totally lost. If he had not lucked up and won that one they were ready to run him out of town then.

I'm just talking about this year.

So you're saying he's saving himself for the hypotehtical opening at Nebraska instead of taking the real openings at Florida or Tennessee. That would be some serious career Russian Roulette.

Reactions: 2 people
And Steve Spurrier has blessed Frost as a candidate to replace Mac.

Frost it is. Seriously if Spurrier says Frost is good then that should be enough info for TN to hire him. Like him or not, Spurrier knows football.

So you're saying he's saving himself for the hypotehtical opening at Nebraska instead of taking the real openings at Florida or Tennessee. That would be some serious career Russian Roulette.
Yeah, if Frost gets a good offer from a program like UF or UT (his stock is up) I think he gone this year from UCF and Nebraska is just SOL.

If Frost peaks at 9 wins a year at UT or UF, and Riley can't get it done, Nebraska would probably be glad to welcome him home in a few years.

Last edited:
If accurate, if I'm Currie, I get in touch with Frost's agent right now and let him know UT is very interested and I'd throw out a huge dollar figure, like 7 mill a year (Harbaugh money, but not quite Saban money). That would give Frost's agent leverage and cause UF to possibly overpay for Frost; "we have another major SEC school willing to pay this, so we want this from you" scenario... And who knows, maybe Frost takes the UT job. What do you have to lose if you're Currie? Worse case, you take a few million out of a rival's coffers.
Dabo-level $ for Frost?

Frost's current salary is $2M.

Last edited:
Check out Durkin's wiki bio and some articles. He's coached under Meyer twice and Harbaugh twice. Very good recruiter with ties nation wide. MD was playing well, beat Texas to start the season, but top two QBs were lost for the season to injury in Sept.

He's had to totally change the culture at MD. He's getting a lot out of the talent he's got there. He's put a disciplined, well prepared, well coached product on the field that plays tough and physical. He's also a very good game planner and in-game coach.

He knows the SEC and will put a very good physical defense on the field -- a must in the SEC. Durkin, with a really good OC and staff and the player talent he'd be able to have at UT should be a very strong winning formula. Looks like a great fit with a lot of upside.

His salary and buyout aren't big. If UT doesn't hire him away from MD, I think somebody else will.
thanks, and yeah, i watched the TX game. and i've checked them out a little here and there. they seem fairly competitive, and like i said, my MD buddy, who understands where they are in the grand scheme of college football, does think Durkin is doing some really good things. to the point i think he's a little surprised at how things have turned around a bit up there.

and iirc, he's made a little noise on the recruiting trail of late too.

might be worth a look.....?

and ftr, i think Frost does wind up at FL. i think Mullen stays put. and we're not gonna get Gruden or Kelly. so you do with that what you will as far as who our next coach is going to be......

and ftr, i think Frost does wind up at FL. i think Mullen stays put. and we're not gonna get Gruden or Kelly. so you do with that what you will as far as who our next coach is going to be......
I agree, except for one IF. IF Mullen has the itch to move to a higher tier program, the timing is good, the fit is great, and UT would look pretty attractive to him in that regard. I suspect UT has at least guaged his interest. His salary is pretty high so the size of his buyout (unknown) is important.

I don't think UF will go after Mullen. I think Frost ($2M salary, $3M buyout) is their #1 and Taggart ($3.9M salary, $8.15M buyout) is their #2. If Taggart hadn't gone to Oregon, he'd likely be a lock for the UF job.

Hard to tell who's on UT's top targets board. Other than Gruden, I doubt they go for a high $ splash hire. I think they assess fit and upside vs risk vs cost, and aim for a smart hire. Those considerations are the crux of most searches and hires.

Last edited:
Dino Babers is the coach I would throw the money at. Smart coach and his players love him but getting him away from Syracuse might be a problem. Man can flat out coach.

Dino Babers is the coach I would throw the money at. Smart coach and his players love him but getting him away from Syracuse might be a problem. Man can flat out coach.

Getting him away from Syracuse won't be any problem if Tennessee wants him that bad.

I don't if it came down to it just give me Miles

In other words it's gonna be messy. Yay! (Bf)

I agree, except for one IF. IF Mullen has the itch to move to a higher tier program, the timing is good, the fit is great, and UT would look pretty attractive to him in that regard. I suspect UT has at least guaged his interest. His salary is pretty high so the size of his buyout (unknown) is important.

I don't think UF will go after Mullen. I think Frost ($2M salary, $4.125M buyout) is their #1 and Taggart ($3.9M salary, $8.15M buyout) is their #2. If Taggart hadn't gone to Oregon, he'd likely be a lock for the UF job.

Hard to tell who's on UT's top targets board. Other than Gruden, I doubt they don't go for a high $ splash hire. I think they assess fit and upside vs risk vs cost, and aim for a smart hire. Those considerations are the crux of most searches and hires.
agree with your IF.:thumbsup:

i also agree about FL and the top couple targets.

i think we are probably in on the Frost sweepstakes, to what degree and commitment level? dunno.

i think we're in on Mullen, pending the IFs.

i think we make overtures to Gruden, you know, because we have to.

and i think there's a lot of vetting going on guys like Venebles, Schiano, Dave Dorean, Durkin, Brohm etc, etc.....and for some reason i just can't shake the notion that someone over that has brought up Lane Kiffin's name. to what degree, dunno. i just know that had 2009 not happened, he'd be a lot higher up on this list.

if i had to guess, we'd be thrilled to have Gruden, understanding we have no shot.

we'd probably like to see this search end at Scott Frost or Dan Mullen.

after that........could get dicey, the natives are, eh hem, restless.....understand though, there are some good coaches in that 'other' group.

Last edited:
Getting him away from Syracuse won't be any problem if Tennessee wants him that bad.

I don't if it came down to it just give me Miles

Yeah but he's made statements he loves it a Syracuse, He has done a marvelous job there and would be a fantastic hire here. I do think you might be right, Les is going to get you wins and the players will love him and the press will have a hoot with him because he makes great sound bites
but Dino would be my first call if I were Currie.

He's one UT should consider, imo. I don't think it would be hard or too costly for UT to hire him away. Almost all coaches say they're happy where they are.

He's one UT should consider, imo. I don't think it would be hard or too costly for UT to hire him away. Almost all coaches say they're happy where they are.

you say YES........until it's time to say NO.:)

VN Store

Back