Recruiting in GA (split from recruit threads)

If Butch Davis is worthless, what does that make Dooley given that Davis beat him with most of his star players out?

True, but it's not like TN had any star players of their own to begin with. Also, T.J. Yates = 4yr starter vs. Tyler Bray. Can you really compare that? Just my:twocents:

You make me want to throw up, so we are all even now, k?

Tell all your little buddies that are obsessed with turning every recruiting thread into a bash Mark Richt session to stop that, and we don't have this issue. It isn't the UGA fans fault, but don't think we are not going to correct you guys when you are just spouting nonsense.

Besides, I tried, my last sentence of my post was completely on topic. The rest of my post really didn't require any response.

I've got an even better idea....stop coming to this UT message board...

Nobody here would care at all and you wouldn't have to defend your coach anymore....problem solved

I'd take Butch Davis over Dooley to. Guy wins and recruits at a high level. Dooley has proven to do neither yet.

I can't predict what DD will do yet at UT. Maybe he's great. Maybe he's awful....

BUT BD has been at UNC for 4 complete seasons now. His recruiting classes have avg'd 22nd by Rivals (how would UT fans react to having that over 4 years?). He's avg'ing 4th in the ACC. His best class was ranked 9th... and we are seriously discussin on an almost daily basis whether averaging 9th would put UT in championship contention.

He's yet to finish better than 8-5 on the field at UNC. With a program that is pretty much his, he struggled to beat one of the youngest, thinnest, and least skilled UT teams of the last 30 years. He's never finished better than 3rd in the Coastal Division or better than 4-4 in his division. He's yet to beat NCSU.

DD may be no good. BD may be better than DD... but I am not impressed with Davis. Nothing about his pro or college career convinces me he's a great coach.

As for Miami- for all that talent, he had a losing season and lost 3+ games in every year except his last one when he finished 12-1 and 2nd in the polls. His overall win percentage there was 72%... good but nowhere near dominating.

Last edited:
I clicked on the thread and I saw nothing but UG and UA debate going on. I had to go back out and make sure I was on Vol Nation. It was like a bad dream!! :eek:hmy::eek:hmy:

But I did like TW's post.

Mark Richt is a good man and a good recruiter, but Mutt fans need to understand that he is not as good a coach as he once was. He pulls highly-touted classes every year, but as of late, he has not been able to do much with them. With all due respect to Philip Fulmer, Richt's tenure is beginning to look like the last four years of Fulmer's tenure, which should be sending red flags in Athens. If he underachieves this year, they may seriously consider getting rid of him.

No the problem is when rival fans come on here and try to speak down to the UT fans. You seem to portray a holier than whatever attitude that UGA is so much better than everyone else. I understand you have pride in your program but lets not kid ourselves, UGA is not on top of the world and CMR is not a saint.

I mean I could sit here and discuss how many arrests have taking place at UGA under CMR and players that remained on the program, or how many top recruits have come in and not acheived. Everyone knows UGA has both on the field and off the field issues. Every program does and I am sure UGA will bounce back. But it is the fans that seem to ignore it and want to believe UGA is the greatest program in the country right now. That is fine for a UGA board but not a rival board.

I am a UA fan(diehard), but I understand when I post on Volnation where I am. I try to contirbute info about players that may concern UT fans and get info on players UA is looking at, but I do not post on here to argue back and forth with them. I understand some fun here and now, but again remember the board. If you feel UGA is so much better go post it on a UGA board.

Also if UGA is not so concerned with UT coming into the state and recruiting GA players why have so many UGA fans started lurking around here as of late?

Perfect post is perfect. :hi:

I don't have a problem with rival fans coming here and posting, but at least be respectful when you do. It's like one of us Tennessee fans going to another rival's site and posting there. We'll have to be respectful to them, as well, even though we don't necessarily like them. After all, they are human beings as well. TideWarrior, you have always been respectful (even though your team is chock full of spawns of Satan :)), and I appreciate that.

Considering Spurrier had already been hired at South Carolina, I think not.

However, I'm 100% sure we could have landed Butch Davis. UT tried to do that after Fulmer was fired, but it was too late because he was happy at UNC.

We don't need Butch Davis. We have Derek Dooley.

yawn, how original the Richt=underachiever card. never seen that play before. congrats on you're 'eventual championship' ya'll celebrate that baby every year!!!!!

hey i agree with boxervol,you uga fans should go back to a uga site,i have lived UT football for over 38 years,and use to be a fanatical fan ,i had to calm down because of blood pressure and have been a member of this site for over two years.and i have never been to any other teams site and never plan on going on another teams site.i may be hated for having different veiws than my fellow vol fans and god knows i dont agree with some of their veiws,but i do respect them as fans.and i respect some fans of other teams even uga,Gators,bama,tigers,cats,and cock fans not as much,but i have no respect for all you uga,gators and anyone who is on this site and isnt a vol fan.this is a site for vol fans to get on here and find out information from other vol fans and discuss matters of interest to vol fans not uga fans who come on this site to feed false information or plain out start rumors.bray'sbacktatt you even try to hide who you are unlike UGAinsider and you have the gumption to be smarta-- and say congrats to eventual national championship and that we do that every year .i do say this it has been 13 years since ut was national champs but its been 30 for uga,and i would bet UT wins a bcs nc before uga does.and after ut wins atleast 9 games this next season,their will be another tital within next 5 years.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

hey i agree with boxervol,you uga fans should go back to a uga site,i have lived UT football for over 38 years,and use to be a fanatical fan ,i had to calm down because of blood pressure and have been a member of this site for over two years.and i have never been to any other teams site and never plan on going on another teams site.i may be hated for having different veiws than my fellow vol fans and god knows i dont agree with some of their veiws,but i do respect them as fans.and i respect some fans of other teams even uga,Gators,bama,tigers,cats,and cock fans not as much,but i have no respect for all you uga,gators and anyone who is on this site and isnt a vol fan.this is a site for vol fans to get on here and find out information from other vol fans and discuss matters of interest to vol fans not uga fans who come on this site to feed false information or plain out start rumors.bray'sbacktatt you even try to hide who you are unlike UGAinsider and you have the gumption to be smarta-- and say congrats to eventual national championship and that we do that every year .i do say this it has been 13 years since ut was national champs but its been 30 for uga,and i would bet UT wins a bcs nc before uga does.and after ut wins atleast 9 games this next season,their will be another tital within next 5 years.

That is great, but just because you don't visit other sites doesn't mean others can't come here.

Do you get this angry when rival fans are mingling at tailgates before/after the game? That is about what us coming here and posting amounts to. The only reason the contents of this thread are here is because we can't seem to discuss a recruit or talk about him without someone starting in with, "Richt is a horrible coach, what has he ever done?!? Richt=Fulmer, he will never be on a level with Derek Dooley!!! HEE-HAW!! :crazy:" Believe me, none of us are here to talk about Richt and UGA, we are here to talk about recruits.

If you posted on a UGA board (I know you don't but IF you did) and saw all that same untrue negative talk about Dooley, wouldn't you feel compelled to try and talk some sense into those Dawgs? At least try to set them straight and if they want to ignore the facts after, their loss.

I personally am keeping the posts about CMR, unless it pertains directly to a recruit, in the hopper. At least until the season actually starts and the talk is pertinent and the story actually has the ability to change from one week to the next.

We don't need Butch Davis. We have Derek Dooley.

And considering all the trouble he keeps bringing UNC, why would you want him? I like Dooley, he is a newbie at this level of ball, but he will get there.

Real talented coach, extremely intelligent, very well-spoken and comes from some of the best coaching bloodline you could ask for. :thumbsup:

Rival fans spend a lot of their time on VN because VN is awesome and their team sites are not. We should take it as a compliment. I would gladly keep most of them and trade a few of our "fans".

Rival fans spend a lot of their time on VN because VN is awesome and their team sites are not. We should take it as a compliment. I would gladly keep most of them and trade a few of our "fans".

This is mostly true. Only thing I would say is that there are a couple of really good UGA sites, but not the big ones really (Rivals/Scout sites, Dawgrant, etc).

VN is a great site though. Lots of information, good posters, and a great environment when we aren't all arguing about Mark Richt. :p

I didn't say that we were in the best shape with Jenkins (UF leads, UGA likely follows) and we will see about Geno. He is playing the game very well right now. You can rest assured that the staff knows exactly what they are doing, just look at that D class last year and that was Grantham's very first recruiting class. We are on Yuri, Holsey too, but not ignoring Geno and I highly doubt he is going to hate UGA because we also recruited Yuri. Yuri can play S too. We are looking for about 4 DBs this year. I don't expect those guys would have much issue playing together, tbh.

The only guys we have lost so far, that it is a blow to lose, are guys we had no real chance with anyway. Eligwe was leaving the state from the beginning, he just didn't want to stay home. As I said in the earlier post, Kirby was going to Miami as soon as they offered regardless. I will give you that Quniteze is a player we could have used, but we won't have the room in the end anyway and L. Jefferson is another that was going to leave the state regardless. Nobody else that has committed to a school out of state is a big loss. Not Mann, not Ball, not Drake, not Lee, not Taylor, not Greene, not Hood, not Holloman, not Cross, not Sealand, not Tookes. D.J. White going to USF could be if we get far enough down the DB board to need him...although I think he can be taken from USF. I feel like I am talking to a bunch of third-graders the way I have to keep explaining this.

Do keep in mind that most of the elite guys aren't going to name UGA a leader, even if we are the team they want, until we have proven on the field that we are going in the right direction with the current staff. If that doesn't happen, all bets are off and nobody has any idea what direction this class will go. So until we prove on the field that this ship has turned around, don't expect to hear us leading for top recruits (except Marshall).

It is a long way to NSD and commits are just words until that LOI is faxed, so I am honestly not overly worried where we stand with guys who aren't announcing until NSD or the AA games.

I don't think that accurate on Jenkins. I think GT is his leader followed by UF followed by UGA.

I love VolNation, its by far my favorite recruiting site.

There's some very good guys on here with really good info and very good football knowledge as well. Talking to rival fans is more fun than talking with UGA fans. There's also some obnoxious fans who just start crap with rival fans. Overall, this is an excellent site.

I am glad you like it insider.

I am a fan of Mark Richt as a human being.

I would love to hear your thoughts on the game we have coming versus you.

http://www.volnation.com/forum/tennessee-vols-football/128683-game-season-october-8th.html

I think UGA will win 8 or 9, which could be 1 more win than TN, but I think we will win the game in Knoxville.

I also think your defense will be very strong, but your offense will struggle apart from Murray to Charles which should be awesome for you.

:rofl:

I don't know that Muschamp will be worse than Zook, but I don't expect much from UF. I could see them being 4th in the East this year, honestly. First year of completely new systems on both sides of the ball and not really have the right personnel for most of those positions? That's a recipe for disaster.:yikes:

Also, it seems like Jimbo is chasing them right out of the state on the recruiting front and if FSU isn't getting them they are going to Stanford or ND or another SEC team. I would be worried if I were a Gator fan.:unsure:

LMFAO.....at FSU/Jimbo running UF out of state. They had a better recruiting class last year but most of that was because of Meyer leaving...guys like Grant, Anthony,Waisome and other would have been Gators on NSD. Not sure what recruiting ranking you're looking at but UF has more instate commits than FSU and lead for Maye,Tracey Howard,Brain Poole, Lenoard Williams,Avery Young and McCord. Yes, losing Davis and maybe Kirby does hurt but Davis was almost 50-50 to head back to the west coast and Kirby tried to commit (from the talk on Swamp 247) but Muschamp is higher on Morrison(IL) and Lewis(NJ). UF will finish with a top 5 class this year. UGA better win more than 7 games this seaons or UT,UF,FSU and Bama are going to step up shop this season in GA. :peace2:

Here is the Scout top 20 for Ga. Who do you think is likely to go to where or which schools are in it "currently".

1. Ricky Parks -

2. Geno Smith -

3. Vadal Alexander -

4. J. Harvey-Clemons -

5. Jordan Jenkins -

6. Josh Hosley - Auburn commit

7. Jonathan Taylor -

8. Greyson Lambert -

9. Joe Harris

10 Dillon Lee - Alabama commit

11. Deion Bonner - stole from Ga locker room

12. Jaquay Williams

13. Leonard Floyd - Georgia Commit

14. Jordan Watkins -

15. Markuss Eligwee - Florida State commit

16. Mike Davis - Florida commit

17. Kenyan Drake - Alabama commit

18.Dalvin Thomlinson -

19. Raphael Kirby - Miami Commit

20. Brandon Greene - Alabama commit

We need to put a full court press on in Georgia this year. The state is ripe for the picking. UGA is not doing a good job down here in spite of what some UGA fans think. Their approach is looked at as arrogant by many kids down here.

Here is the Scout top 20 for Ga. Who do you think is likely to go to where or which schools are in it "currently".

1. Ricky Parks -

2. Geno Smith -

3. Vadal Alexander -

4. J. Harvey-Clemons -

5. Jordan Jenkins -

7. Jonathan Taylor -

8. Greyson Lambert -

9. Joe Harris

12. Jaquay Williams

14. Jordan Watkins -

18.Dalvin Thomlinson -

Parks - 50/50 on leaving the state.

Smith - my guess is Bama but he will leave the state.

Alexander - LSU. Done deal.

Jenkins - GA Tech

1. Ricky Parks -

2. Geno Smith -
TN

3. Vadal Alexander -

4. J. Harvey-Clemons -
FSU but I wish TN

5. Jordan Jenkins -
TN is pushing hard

7. Jonathan Taylor -
TN is working here as well.

8. Greyson Lambert -

9. Joe Harris

12. Jaquay Williams

14. Jordan Watkins -
We are in it solidly for him as well.

18.Dalvin Thomlinson -
TN wants

I think this list makes it clear why I said beating Georgia is the key game for the season in 2011 for Tennessee.

here is the scout top 20 for ga. Who do you think is likely to go to where or which schools are in it "currently".

1. Ricky parks - bama, au, or uga. I honestly think we get him in the end.

2. Geno smith - bama, ut, or uga. I know what's published but its very early.

3. Vadal alexander - lsu bound, but he's been sniffing around lately.

4. J. Harvey-clemons - fsu and uga battle all the way. Coach grantham gets him in the end.

5. Jordan jenkins - gator or gt-nerd in the end. Uga could steal him though, big could.

6. Josh hosley - auburn commit (cash money)

7. Jonathan taylor - bama and uga battle. Dawg in the end.

8. Greyson lambert - clemson

9. Joe harris- clemson and uga battle.

10 dillon lee - alabama commit-- good ballplayer but will be very hard to see the field, possible future transfer.

11. Deion bonner - stole from ga locker room-- clemson or au. I really wanted this kid in the red and black but he decided to be a knucklehead.

12. Jaquay williams- looks like auburn.

13. Leonard floyd - georgia commit-- dawg all day long.

14. Jordan watkins - long way to go but a dawg in the end.

15. Markuss eligwee - florida state commit-- that one hurt us, i really wanted this kid to consider us.

16. Mike davis - florida commit-- uf bound but uf has another stud rb in jones and they're still looking at others. Things could get very interesting down the stretch.

17. Kenyan drake - alabama commit-- excellent ballplayer and bama bound all the way.

18.dalvin thomlinson - gt or uga.

19. Raphael kirby - miami commit-- cane all the way. Kid committed without even visiting the campus.

20. Brandon greene - alabama commit-- bama bound.

go dawgs!!!!!

This is mostly true. Only thing I would say is that there are a couple of really good UGA sites, but not the big ones really (Rivals/Scout sites, Dawgrant, etc).

VN is a great site though. Lots of information, good posters, and a great environment when we aren't all arguing about Mark Richt. :p

VN is a great site and of course thats why your here...btw too bad for you Mark Richt is a horrible coach and any player that goes to UGA under his command will fail to reach their full potential....:neener:

I actually really like this format for a recruiting forum personally which is why I am here.

I would like to make one observation. There are plenty of UGA insiders that are seriously NOT worried about recruiting right now. So, I don't feel the need to get worked up either. The season will determine all regardless. Also, there is a huge reason that UGA has been concentrating out of state more this year. While there are some very good players at the top of the heap this year, the depth of very good to great players just isn't there in Georgia this year. Especially not like last year or even next year. Especially when UGA is doing very well unofficially on many top prospects OOS. Like I said, the proof of that will be in the pudding after the season, but I see no reason to not trust the words of guys that have proven their knowledge of UGA"s recruiting in the past decade.

Personally I think that other programs are using this year, especially when UGA was initially pretty low on numbers, are a stepping stone for getting to the 2013 prospects' heads. Considering that UGA is also concentrating pretty early on 2013 tells you everything you need to know right there.

I like this site as well. The format is easy and the information on the kid you're interested in is easily found. I agree with most of Erk's preditions and yes, 2013 in Ga is a loaded class with maybe the #1 player nationally. If any kid Uga is in the running for decides to announce now or before the games start, it doesn't look good for them picking Uga. A lot of those kids want to see Uga on the field before deciding or eliminating them.

Also, there is a huge reason that UGA has been concentrating out of state more this year. While there are some very good players at the top of the heap this year, the depth of very good to great players just isn't there in Georgia this year. Especially not like last year or even next year. Especially when UGA is doing very well unofficially on many top prospects OOS.

If that's the excuse they are using for overlooking in state players this year, it's a piss poor one and one that will cost them in 2013. To hear the chatter from many 2012 players, UGA has lost their grip on this state.

BTW, you can kiss the kid from Grayson good bye in 2013. Did you hear the undertone in his brothers voice when asked if he would visit UGA at a later date? If he could have said it, his answer would have been "HELL NO"! A lot of kids in state feel the same why.

Georgia is ripe of the picking guys!

VN Store

Back