Recruiting Forum: Official Missouri Pre-Game/Game Thread

Like 31VFL, I'm more interested in the Predators game at this point. Really excited for Turris's debut against the Pens. Should be fun to watch.

On the football front, we suck. Should be miserable to watch. Mizzou doubles us up.

Mizzou - 34
UT - 17.

Tennessee heads west to somewhere in Missouri to face a high flying Mizzou offensive machine. The Vols finally broke a long losing streak, getting my Southern Miss in an effort where the defense stepped up with timely turnovers, and the offense did just enough to get by.

Missouri, on the other hand has a dynamic offense that is hard to stop. The truth is though, they have not been unstoppable, and some rather mild teams have both slowed down their offense and had enough points to win. Let's see what the matchup has for us this week.

Keys to Victory:

1. Magic Show: Bob Shoop notoriously promised a magic show last season. The only magic Vol fans saw in the 2nd half of the season was making the defense disappear. The Vols have been much better on the defensive side of the ball this year, though the offensive ineptitude somewhat masks that statistically.

The Vols still rank 3rd in the nation in pass defense, thanks in part to non-passing teams, but in part to actual good play on the back end. Facing a Mizzou offense that is 14th in that nation with 315 yards per game will be an interesting test. Oh yeah... Missouri averages 5 yards per carry, and the Vols are 122nd in the nation against the run.

In a 3 game stretch, South Carolina, Purdue and Auburn held Mizzou to an average of 10 PPG. Shoop needs to bring the magic show.

2. Run KFC: With reports of JG maybe being out for this game, Tennessee will rely heavily on the running game. Kelly, Fills-Aime, and Chandler will get plenty of carries, but the maligned Tennessee offensive line needs to do work against a talented and disruptive Missouri DL. If the Vols can't establish the run game, this one is over. Missouri is 88th in run defense, so there is potential here.

3. QB Episode IV... A New Hope:
I know, he's technically 3rd string, but I'm counting Sherriron Jones ahead of him before he transferred out, as he likely would have been ahead of McBride. It's a Star Wars play on words... deal with it.

Will McBride has filled this fanbase with a new hope, after exploding onto the scene last week for 13 yards of passing and 7 yards on the ground. Yep... it's that kind of year on Rocky Top. Regardless, he will have a chance to exploit a soft passing defense (106th) and if the coaches are smart... which is debatable, they should implement the short passing game with some bubble screens slants, and TE work out in the flats. He's just not going to have the time to put a lot of air under it, but he will take a couple of shots.

Prediction: I think the Vols play this one closer than some Tennessee fans predict. Missouri is inconsistent, and it's hard to tell what you are going to get. I actually like what our defense can do here, but my concern is on the OL and with young McBride.

Missouri 24
Tennessee 17

McBride was running 3rd string by the beginning of Fall camp, thus the transfer. Solidifying the VN maxim: If you want your legacy revered? LEAVE! :)

Mizzou 45
Vols 17

I see nothing good coming from this. Mizzou trending up to a bowl game by working hard and improving in every area while playing at home. Vols trending down sharply with a lame duck HC, injuries again, and a bad O.

Tennessee heads west to somewhere in Missouri to face a high flying Mizzou offensive machine. The Vols finally broke a long losing streak, getting my Southern Miss in an effort where the defense stepped up with timely turnovers, and the offense did just enough to get by.

Missouri, on the other hand has a dynamic offense that is hard to stop. The truth is though, they have not been unstoppable, and some rather mild teams have both slowed down their offense and had enough points to win. Let's see what the matchup has for us this week.

Keys to Victory:

1. Magic Show: Bob Shoop notoriously promised a magic show last season. The only magic Vol fans saw in the 2nd half of the season was making the defense disappear. The Vols have been much better on the defensive side of the ball this year, though the offensive ineptitude somewhat masks that statistically.

The Vols still rank 3rd in the nation in pass defense, thanks in part to non-passing teams, but in part to actual good play on the back end. Facing a Mizzou offense that is 14th in that nation with 315 yards per game will be an interesting test. Oh yeah... Missouri averages 5 yards per carry, and the Vols are 122nd in the nation against the run.

In a 3 game stretch, South Carolina, Purdue and Auburn held Mizzou to an average of 10 PPG. Shoop needs to bring the magic show.

2. Run KFC: With reports of JG maybe being out for this game, Tennessee will rely heavily on the running game. Kelly, Fills-Aime, and Chandler will get plenty of carries, but the maligned Tennessee offensive line needs to do work against a talented and disruptive Missouri DL. If the Vols can't establish the run game, this one is over. Missouri is 88th in run defense, so there is potential here.

3. QB Episode IV... A New Hope:
I know, he's technically 3rd string, but I'm counting Sherriron Jones ahead of him before he transferred out, as he likely would have been ahead of McBride. It's a Star Wars play on words... deal with it.

Will McBride has filled this fanbase with a new hope, after exploding onto the scene last week for 13 yards of passing and 7 yards on the ground. Yep... it's that kind of year on Rocky Top. Regardless, he will have a chance to exploit a soft passing defense (106th) and if the coaches are smart... which is debatable, they should implement the short passing game with some bubble screens slants, and TE work out in the flats. He's just not going to have the time to put a lot of air under it, but he will take a couple of shots.

Prediction: I think the Vols play this one closer than some Tennessee fans predict. Missouri is inconsistent, and it's hard to tell what you are going to get. I actually like what our defense can do here, but my concern is on the OL and with young McBride.

Missouri 24
Tennessee 17
Halftime score?

Reactions: 2 people
We descend into the 10th ring of Vol hell this week...48-17 Mizzou.

The good news is...only two more rings to go...yayyyy!

If they run the ball

Only two teams have scored in the 40's on us this year, UGA and Bama. Mizzou's offense is not even close to either of those. I could see it being similar to the UK or UF score. They both scored in the 20's.

edit - forgot about GT, but that is because of their offense and QB, my point still stands

Last edited:
Only two teams have scored in the 40's on us this year, UGA and Bama. Mizzou's offense is not even close to either of those. I could see it being similar to the UK or UF score. They both scored in the 20's.

We will see. If we can keep them in the low 20s we could win. Neither the UF nor UK offense is as good as Mizzous.

edit - forgot about GT, but that is because of their offense and QB, my point still stands

They run the ball reasonably well and our D is #125 at stopping the run. We have to pull more guys into the box, they then hit us over the top like they did 3 times against a much better UGA D. They missed on a couple of other long throws or it would have been an even more challenging game for UGA.

Meanwhile they gear up to stop our run game and dare McBride and our WR's to beat their secondary, when he finds enough time to throw the ball with a make shift O-line. I see lots of 3 and outs from our O. The stat lines that you don't hear about are that Mizzou is #32 in sacks and #14 in TFL. They blow up plays - about 10 per game. With a young QB with minimal experience and an O-line that will probably be worse along with related penalties.

I'm just not feeling it. Hope I am wrong and the good guys win.

Another Butch Jones classic imo, we will have our chance at the end of the game.

Anybody know how Mizzou's special teams are?

If we're gonna have a shot at this one, we're gonna have to win that battle handily, IMO.

VN Store

Back