Recruiting Forum: Official Appalachian State Pre-Game/Game Thread

Not sure if you intended blue font or not, but I highly doubt we put up 807 total yards on offense...

Just using this hype train to the max :).

Honestly I do admit 807 yards is a lot but what would you change from that? I wouldn't be surprised if Dobbs' passing is much lower than where I have it. Can see Dormady lower by about 20 to 30 yards, but it could happen that we hit 650+

Last edited:
Just using this hype train to the max :).

Honestly I do admit 807 yards is a lot but what would you change from that? I wouldn't be surprised if Dobbs' passing is much lower than where I have it. Can see Dormady lower by about 20 to 30 yards, but it could happen that we hit 650+

Oh I'll readily admit I have no clue. If I had to guess, we'll be around 550 yrds or so. Most we had last year was 604 yards, against Bowling Green in that first game.

People overrate App State. They're better than a lot of teams at their level, but they aren't anything special. 58-10.

Pile on the starters stats for a heisman run. Get Dobbs/Hurd a combined 6 TDs

I'll try predicting it... Assuming we'll be pretty vanilla with it being the first game of the season, but we'll still throw the ball a bit to make VT and Florida have to prepare for it. I'm also basing this off our defense giving us 35min TOP.

Dobbs throws for 320-- a lot of passes out of the backfield (100 yards split 65-35 between Kamara and Hurd respectively), but also a significant number of intermediate passes and a token bomb to either PWilly or Malone.

Hurd will rush for 150-- including a couple that go for 30+ apiece. 20 rushes for ~90 yards meaning a 4.5ypc average.

Kamara will also hit 100, probably also based on around 20 carries.

Malone or Preston will lead receivers in yardage, but mostly due to the aforementioned bomb, right around 100 for the game, maybe on 3 or 4 catches.

Wolf will lead the game in total receptions, maybe like 8 for 70 yards.

TD's as follows:

Hurd gets 2 on the ground. Kamara gets 1 receiving. Croom gets 1 on two catches for the game. Jeff George high-points a ball from the 7 yard line. Dobbs passes for 3 and runs another one in.

That's offense. Now for defense:

Last year, our highest sack total as 5, at Bama. We did add 4 apiece against Vandy and Mizzou. In the opener, playing decently vanilla, I can see us getting 4-5. Barnett-1, Kongbo-1, Phillips-1.5, Vereen-1.5.

Now, their QB Lamb has received a lot of praise, after posting 31-9 TD-INT ratio last year. But he doesn't throw for a ton of yards, failing to reach 200yds passing in each of the final four games of 2015. I think that streak continues in our game.

He also threw 3 of his INTs against Clemson last year. I'll venture to say we get at least two INT's, one to JRM and the other to (oh snap) Nigel Warrior mid-3rd Quarter.

Despite the 'hype' (for lack of a better word) behind Lamb's QBing abilities, Appalachian State post similar season numbers to our team last year. Between a then-Jr leading rusher, a high-quality #2 who's gonna be a sophomore, and Lamb himself, they ran for close to 2600 yards (1440/730/430) respectively. Our front-7 has its work cut out for it, but as stacked as we are, I think we'll be okay. (Word of warning, they did run for 200 against Clemson last year, and Clemson had one of the best defenses in the country.)

Leading tackler-- Kirkland with 10.

What say y'all?

Reactions: 1 person
People overrate App State. They're better than a lot of teams at their level, but they aren't anything special. 58-10.

Pile on the starters stats for a heisman run. Get Dobbs/Hurd a combined 6 TDs

A heisman candidate would be excellent recruiting hype. I like Dobbs as a dark horse candidate

A heisman candidate would be excellent recruiting hype. I like Dobbs as a dark horse candidate

I'd like Hurd to be in that talk but I think everyone will be falling over themselves to put Fournette and Chubb in front of him. They are both great backs but Hurd is just the total package. I hope he goes all pissed off for greatness and gets 2000 yards this season!

Reactions: 2 people
I'd like Hurd to be in that talk but I think everyone will be falling over themselves to put Fournette and Chubb in front of him. They are both great backs but Hurd is just the total package. I hope he goes all pissed off for greatness and gets 2000 yards this season!

Chubb won't have a good year. Between recovering from that injury and not having a good OL or the threat of a passing game to keep the D honest, I think Hurd has a much better year. McCaffrey and Fournette will probably be ahead of him though.

Chubb won't have a good year. Between recovering from that injury and not having a good OL or the threat of a passing game to keep the D honest, I think Hurd has a much better year. McCaffrey and Fournette will probably be ahead of him though.

Phil Steele has Georgia's OL ranked #7 in the country. I wouldn't necessarily rank them that high but I think all the talk about them having a bad OL is a little overblown

Chubbs will still be great and will take a few games to get back into a rythym, but it won't show up in the yardage he gets this season. That OL he has to work with isnot last years OL or the year before.

Clemson won by 31 last year, with most points coming in 2nd quarter off of 3 interceptions in 4 drives from Lamb. Maybe UT can force some turnovers, but this isn't a UTM type team. This defense is much better than Bowling Green's, and the offense is run-heavy.

UT needs to score early and often and put them away by half/midway thru 3rd quarter. If they let App State hang around, could get interesting.

Also, App State beat Georgia Southern who absolutely drubbed Bowling Green at the end of the year. Maybe UT can blow them out, but all of our fans will be irate if UT doesn't win by 50. The BG game was close for 2.5 quarters last year.

Clemson won by 31 last year, with most points coming in 2nd quarter off of 3 interceptions in 4 drives from Lamb. Maybe UT can force some turnovers, but this isn't a UTM type team. This defense is much better than Bowling Green's, and the offense is run-heavy.

UT needs to score early and often and put them away by half/midway thru 3rd quarter. If they let App State hang around, could get interesting.

Also, App State beat Georgia Southern who absolutely drubbed Bowling Green at the end of the year. Maybe UT can blow them out, but all of our fans will be irate if UT doesn't win by 50. The BG game was close for 2.5 quarters last year.

App State also needed 3 OTs to beat 4-8 Troy.

I think this App State team is likely worse than the Utah State team we played in 2014, and this Vols squad would beat the 2014 Vols by 2-3 TDs.

I don't know how much it matters, but GSU played Bowling Green after Babers had left which isn't always ideal.

3. Appalachian State
It might surprise you to see Appalachian State on the list, but it shouldn’t. Appalachian State had the highest run-blocking rating of an FBS team in 2015 and returns the highest-graded guard in Colby Gassett. The offensive line was the back bone of the Mountaineers’ 11-2 season a year ago. Similar to Notre Dame, they run an exclusive zone attack with their most successful being the outside zone. The line looks to lose ground and run to reach defenders in a way you don’t see in college. There is no reason to think their successful trend won’t continue, and Tennessee will have their hands full when the two teams open the season in September

https://www.profootballfocus.com/college-football-top-10-offensive-lines-in-notre-dame-stanford/

Reactions: 3 people
Thanks for contributing relevant information

Yes! App State will certainly not be a pushover but the level of athletes on our team and the way CBJ will have them prepared will be plenty to win decisively!

To the season ticket holders out there. Have all of the tickets been distributed to all of the games? Do they send them out as a package with the entire seasons tickets? TIA

VN Store

Back